Author Topic: Ridiculously small Rigol DS1000z series font size  (Read 61124 times)

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Re: Ridiculously small Rigol DS1000z series font size
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:55 pm »
a close inspection of a cellphone image?  :scared:

What are you talking about? It's a camera on a tripod - which is visible in the image. It seems as if you like to be regularly wrong about things, no?

But it's difficult to take a photo with equivalent intensity when they're stacked, due to the LCD viewing angles.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 09:50:22 pm by marmad »

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2014, 10:49:42 pm »
I own both a 1074 and a 2072 and although the 2072 is larger and with 4 channels on the smaller 1074 display gets crowded I am quite pleased with the latter. No problem with my 54yrs old eyes (I am nearsighted so looking at the DSO without glasses). Perfectly readable for me. Certainly does not look washed out, on the contrary, it looks crisp and sharp to me (although a bit small  :) )
I too shot some photo's with a DSLR on a tripod. Photos of the 1074 and 2072 with identical (manual) settings and exactly the same distance from the scopes. Only the ambient lighting differs unavoidably (should not influence the screen too much)
See below:

Also two more closeups with a 100mm macro lens (no real macro fotos btw)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:01:31 pm by pa3bca »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2014, 01:21:03 am »
Certainly does not look washed out, on the contrary, it looks crisp and sharp to me (although a bit small  :) )

I disagree. Even in your photos, I think it looks slightly less sharp and washed out compared to the DS2000 screen. But maybe I'm just more picky about my screens,  ;)

Offline i4004

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2014, 08:29:34 am »

What are you talking about? It's a camera on a tripod - which is visible in the image. It seems as if you like to be regularly wrong about things, no?

But it's difficult to take a photo with equivalent intensity when they're stacked, due to the LCD viewing angles.

well yes, either a cellphone camera or a crappy camera <full stop>.
(and i wasn't wrong about 200pixels  :P )

notice pa3bca's images are better than yours..he has better camera...one that does less of a crappy noise reduction that just smears and blurs the image....so while i was wrong you just learned something new, right?  ;)

but here's a thing i see that perhaps makes you like 2k more: it has substiantially more 'vertical resolution' (hires mode on?) and there are less jaggies than in z image!
this is slightly visible in pa3bca's image too, but i used yours because it's higher res image.
and because it's better visible on AM signal.

so yes, i would pick 2k too, but because it is less jaggy, less lores....it seems to benefit from that virtual 12bit stuff....a lot! or is z just totally broken in this respect.
(notice how z has much more stairstepping on that sine outer curves)

but 2k not better because z is "washed out" as you say (if anything such lower vertical resolution will appear as having  more contrast/sharpness), but because it less jaggy.
and higher res is always better, with slightly less contrast or not.

so you're both right.
and me too!
 ;D

btw. could you make a screenshot (not a photograph) of this waveform on both scopes with hires mode off  (either here or in other thread where we discussed hires mode in more detail) so i can take a look at what exactly 2k does differently, when it comes to displaying it.
(or link a post if you already did it)
looking at this (and simillar screenshots i posted), resizer that maps 256 adc levels to display resolution on z is utter rubbish.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:45:57 am by i4004 »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2014, 12:53:40 pm »
...so while i was wrong you just learned something new, right?  ;)
Well, no - sorry, I have not learned anything new from your posts - which continue to be filled with loads of incorrect speculation and bad information.  :)

....it seems to benefit from that virtual 12bit stuff....a lot!
There is no "virtual 12bit stuff". It seems you still don't understand how the DSOs are working. I suggest you go back and re-read the posts in the other thread.

but 2k not better because z is "washed out" as you say (if anything such lower vertical resolution will appear as having  more contrast/sharpness), but because it less jaggy.
No, you're wrong again on multiple points. Either your eyes are bad, you don't use a color-corrected monitor, or you don't understand what you're looking at. There is no lower resolution - they are exactly the same - and the only thing that the DS1000Z has going for it is slightly more contrast (due to a brighter backlight). But it's "washed-out" and less "sharp" (this is NOT the same thing as contrast) because of it's worse sub-pixel anti-aliasing. This is apparent - even to those with poor vision :) - when you examine the images close-up (using pa3bca's photos) :

First, here is the rendering of "black" on both DSO screens - normal and inverted to "white". If it's not obvious which one is closer to true black, then you need a new computer monitor (or you need to calibrate the one you've got):

Secondly, here is an even more obvious look at the poor sub-pixel anti-aliasing (causing color fringing) on the DS1000Z screen (again, bottom image):

and higher res is always better, with slightly less contrast or not.
I repeat: there is no higher res - they are both in Normal acquisition mode on displays of equivalent resolution.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:09:04 pm by marmad »

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2014, 01:42:23 pm »
Certainly does not look washed out, on the contrary, it looks crisp and sharp to me (although a bit small  :) )

I disagree. Even in your photos, I think it looks slightly less sharp and washed out compared to the DS2000 screen. But maybe I'm just more picky about my screens,  ;)

Well I agree that the 2072 display is sharper than the 1074Z. But I still would not say that the 1074Z's screen looks washed out.. But that is a matter of opinion of course (Or I have an extraordinary god 1072Z specimen here)...

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2014, 02:03:02 pm »

Pull the camera further back, say across the room.......then use the zoom on your camera.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2014, 02:19:27 pm »
Well I agree that the 2072 display is sharper than the 1074Z. But I still would not say that the 1074Z's screen looks washed out.. But that is a matter of opinion of course (Or I have an extraordinary god 1072Z specimen here)...

I guess it's how you define "washed out". For me, it means blacks that are not black and whites that are not white, which the DS1000Z clearly suffers from (as shown in my previous post).

Pull the camera further back, say across the room.......then use the zoom on your camera.

Yes, I know - unfortunately, I only have so much time in the day to devote to posting things here, and 5 minutes was all I had at that moment.

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2014, 02:22:37 pm »
Ian.
You will have to use a very good (and thus expensive > 2K$) telelens an a high Mpx camera if you want the individual pixes to show up on the photo from "across the room"
So, not a good idea.
Better take individual pics and control all settings., positions and ambient lighting.

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2014, 02:29:15 pm »
I guess it's how you define "washed out". For me, it means blacks that are not black and whites that are not white, which the DS1000Z clearly suffers from (as shown in my previous post).
But I do not see that kind of issue on my 1074Z, the blacks and whites of the 1072Z are not very different from the 2072. Also my closeups do not show "whitened" black and "blackened" white.. At least I do not see this.
What I do see is that the pixels themselves are a bit more fuzzy on the 1072Z. But closer inspection suggests that is entirely because the pixels are smaller and thus get more blurred by the screen (in front of the pixels)
The 1074Z is also a bit brighter, which may also contribute to the fuzzier look on my closeups.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:31:56 pm by pa3bca »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2014, 02:43:53 pm »
But I do not see that kind of issue on my 1074Z, the blacks and whites of the 1072Z are not very different from the 2072. Also my closeups do not show "whitened" black and "blackened" white.. At least I do not see this.

?? I'm using YOUR photos of YOUR DS1000Z in my post to prove my point. Again, if you can't see the difference in 'true' black taken from your very own photos - either your eyes aren't very good or your computer monitor is not color-calibrated.

What I do see is that the pixels themselves are a bit more fuzzy on the 1072Z. But closer inspection suggests that is entirely because the pixels are smaller and thus get more blurred by the screen (in front of the pixels)

Again, I don't understand why you're having a problem seeing or understanding zoomed portions from your own images: the DS1000Z is clearly suffering from worse sub-pixel aliasing - resulting in more color-fringing; i.e. "fuzziness". It seems obvious to me.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:53:34 pm by marmad »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2014, 03:31:14 pm »
Attached two 1:1 macro shots of both scopes.

I'm afraid zooming in even closer does not prove anything to me about how the DSO screens look at a normal distance (other than if you press your eyeball to either screen, they are equivalent)  ;D

I'm done arguing this point - we just fundamentally disagree. I think I've posted enough proof so that anyone with a calibrated IPS or PLS monitor can see exactly what I'm talking about - and my position has remained consistent, whether just viewing the DSOs from a distance or examining normal close-ups of the screen.

But your position went from:

...the 1074 display....looks crisp and sharp to me.
to:
...the pixels themselves are a bit more fuzzy on the 1072Z.

Anyway, have a good weekend!

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2014, 03:31:50 pm »
?? I'm using YOUR photos of YOUR DS1000Z in my post to prove my point. Again, if you can't see the difference in 'true' black taken from your very own photos - either your eyes aren't very good or your computer monitor is not color-calibrated.

Again, I don't understand why you're having a problem seeing or understanding zoomed portions from your own images: the DS1000Z is clearly suffering from worse sub-pixel aliasing - resulting in more color-fringing; i.e. "fuzziness". It seems obvious to me.
Attached two 1:1 macro shots of both scopes.
- the intensity level of black in both shots differs indeed somewhat. Closer inspection reveals that on the 1074Z the green subpixels are brighter than on the 2072! (Red and blue are abt the same, intensity=3 according to Adobe Lightroom). Green on the 1074Z is almost 7!. The green 1074Z "black" subpixels are now quite obvious there (but I admit I had to look at the shots with another monitor  >:( )
- the intensity levels of the pixels are also the same (abt 75 per color) so abt equal intensity.
nb: in both shots the pixels look fuzzy. This is not the result of a focus issue or a bad quality lens (nothing wrong with my macro lens). It look like the fuzziness is a result of the structure of the glass in front of the pixels. This is as sharp as I can get it

Now if you look at the (sub)pixels of both shot you can see (at least I think) that:
- the layout of the rgb subpixels differs indeed. The subpixels on the 2072 are vertically aligned, on the 1074Z they are not. Funny that there seems to be no standard pattern, sometimes a green subpixel on the right of a red subpixels is higher, on other locations it is lower...

2072:

1074Z:

Looking at the macro shots it still seems to me that the greater fuzziness of the 1074Z is mostly a result of the glass screen combined with the slightly smaller pixels, and not (so much) of the layout of the subpixels. I can not see a different algorithm for using subpixels in constructing the letters ??

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2014, 03:35:21 pm »
But your position went from:

...the 1074 display....looks crisp and sharp to me.
to:
...the pixels themselves are a bit more fuzzy on the 1072Z.

Anyway, have a good weekend!
Not necessarily a contradiction. I still think it is sharp (enough), but not as sharp as on the 2072.
Sharp and sharper.
And a good weekend to you too  :)

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2014, 03:48:59 pm »
Not necessarily a contradiction. I still think it is sharp (enough), but not as sharp as on the 2072.

Perhaps. But also perhaps picking nits.  ;)

I'll remind you that my original post which prompted this round of arguing and photo investigation merely stated:

(the DS1000Z)...seems a little bit less sharp (although that might just be an optical illusion due to it's smaller size).

...due to the (camera) viewing angle...the DS1000Z screen looks slightly more washed-out than normal

Offline nunoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2014, 03:57:05 pm »
If someone has a solution for the ergonomics' issues please post :)

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2014, 04:02:41 pm »

Perhaps. But also perhaps picking nits.  ;)

I'll remind you that my original post which prompted this round of arguing and photo investigation merely stated:

(the DS1000Z)...seems a little bit less sharp (although that might just be an optical illusion due to it's smaller size).

...due to the (camera) viewing angle...the DS1000Z screen looks slightly more washed-out than normal
So after much arguing and photographing we may have come to some consensus  :) :
- the 1074 is smaller (duh)
- the 1074 looks (a bit more) washed out, mostly due to the green subpixels leaking
- the 1074 looks a bit less sharp because of a combination of (smaller) pixelsize and distortion of the glass in front of the pixels, and _possibly_ because of the different subpixel configuration
-and pa3bca is still happy with the quality of the 1074Z's screen
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:20:20 pm by pa3bca »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2014, 04:26:44 pm »
So after much arguing and photographing we may have come to some consensus  :) :
- the 1074 is smaller (duh)
- the 1074 looks (a bit more) washed out, mostly due to the green subpixels leaking
- the 1074 looks a bit less sharp because of a combination of (smaller) pixelsize and distortion of the glass in front of the pixels, and _possibly_ because of the different subpixel configuration
-and pa3bca is still happy with the quality of the 1074Z's screen

Agreed  :-+

Offline markone

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2014, 12:55:46 am »
I would like to thank marmad and pa3bca for the effort spent on lcd panels analysis.

The pa3bca macros confirmed my suspicions : the DS1000Z  screen pixel sharpness is quite low, in mine opinion mainly due to its odd subpixel structure, that inevitably renders a blurred pixel contour.

Judging from your photos,  in my opinion the overall DS2000's screen readability is a lot better  than DS1000Z one.

In the mean time i found a way to reduce a little the eye fatigue with mine DS1074Z : shed some light with a table lamp directly on its screen.

Still far from what i want, but enough for brief usage.

Offline mamalala

• Supporter
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2014, 08:00:38 am »

From the images, it seems that the DS1000Z screen uses a different subpixel layout for the RGB triplets, and an alternating one at that. You can see that the thin lines appear jagged, in a regular zig-zag like pattern, while on the DS2000 screen they look straight and just dotted. This will likely contribute to the impression of a washed-out/blurry display when viewed at some normal distance, since the pixels for the lines appear to not be in the same  row.

Greetings,

Chris

Offline i4004

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2014, 08:40:21 am »
marmad, i replied here....
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/anomalies-andor-bugs-inbetween-the-rigol-msods1000z-msods2000a-msods4000/msg560294/#msg560294

as for this other things, you would need more experience with video and image processing (and how does it translate in the "quality metrics" in the brain) to understand it a bit better ie why some will prefer z to 2k, i hinted about it a but above, but it doesn't matter much....or perhaps it does because you're a nitpicker, but i like you anyway!  ;D

some things you say are probably correct (different subpixel rendering), but the rest (tracking blackness of black by blowing photographs  :palm: , mentioning monitor calibration) is just a method applied to the wrong spot, it can't be done in that way, it's not science, if the two scope displays are not the same size,photo will not be the same so you can't compare it well.

as for your blowing image of fonts, it's wrong in may ways, because how will jpeg compression affect it?
how will camera sensor (pa3bca0a camera) position affect the raster of the display, ie how will they align (scope raster and image sensor pixels) and what effects will it produce in the images?

i mean i'm just now taking your stuff a bit further to prove it's not really that simple, but if you say fonts are blurrier i'll just take your word for it, with or without blown images.

otoh, waveform means more to me than fonts(a bit younger and no glasses might be the reason), and on z it's crap.   ;)
and that interests me even more now that i see 2k doesn't have that stairstepping effect.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2014, 12:00:21 pm »
some things you say are probably correct (different subpixel rendering), but the rest (tracking blackness of black by blowing photographs  :palm: , mentioning monitor calibration) is just a method applied to the wrong spot, it can't be done in that way, it's not science

Of course it's science. But not in the way that you seem to think science works (i.e. "I have an opinion about something and so that proves I'm right.") No, my science involves observation, investigation, and confirmation.

I OBSERVE that the blacks don't look like 'true' black on the DS1000Z display when compared to the DS2000 - and since I taught computer graphics in the art academy of Amsterdam for 10 years, I have a pretty good eye for images and colors on screens (BTW, what exactly is YOUR experience with image processing again?)

I then INVESTIGATE by checking the photos taken by an impartial 3rd party with the same camera and the approximate same lighting - this CONFIRMS my real-world observation that the black is farther from 'true' than the DS2000.

Later, pa3bca investigates further and confirms my observation that, indeed, the black is 'off'- and discovers the cause: green subpixels leaking. More CONFIRMATION. This is how science works.

as for your blowing image of fonts, it's wrong in may ways, because how will jpeg compression affect it? how will camera sensor (pa3bca0a camera) position affect the raster of the display, ie how will they align (scope raster and image sensor pixels) and what effects will it produce in the images?

Nothing you mentioned will affect the fringing caused by the sub-pixels, which you would know if you understood LCDs and image processing. Again, I OBSERVED that the fonts were 'fuzzier' on the DS1000Z when compared to the DS2000 - and then investigated and confirmed it (with pa3bca discovering the possible underlying causes).

So my observations (and opinion) are confirmed by investigation and testing (and a 3rd party). You, OTOH, continually post unsubstantiated or incorrect opinions (for example; your belief that the DS2000 was set to High Res mode in my photo) - and then refuse to acknowledge your mistakes (or else make a snarky response to deflect).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:26:48 pm by marmad »

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2014, 01:29:48 pm »
as for your blowing image of fonts, it's wrong in may ways, because how will jpeg compression affect it?
how will camera sensor (pa3bca0a camera) position affect the raster of the display, ie how will they align (scope raster and image sensor pixels) and what effects will it produce in the images?
Marmad has already succinctly addressed your other errors, but let me address these.
  • jpeg compression (in my shots) has no significant effect. You will be hard pressed to find any relevant difference between the raw files and the jpg's (i use high quality/low compression to jpg). If you don't believe me I can publish the 25MB raw files.
  • scope pixelsize versus DSLR sensor pixelsize is also a non issue here (irt the real issues). the shots are 1:1 macro, and every scope pixel covers almost 50 sensorpixels vertically. So no chance that you'd see moire patterns
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:34:28 pm by pa3bca »

Offline i4004

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2014, 08:01:39 pm »
No, my science involves observation, investigation, and confirmation.

marmad, get a grip. you're measuring black levels by inspecting photographs.
THAT is not science.
which is not to say your guess is wrong, but...come on....
display performance are not measured in that way, other methods are used.

i.e. "I have an opinion about something and so that proves I'm right."
nope.  i never said that.
we're talking, i  just had few objections to your method.

but if you wanna define to me what contrast is, what "less sharp" and "washed out" means....come on....
come off from that mountain you're standing on...

i don't wanna discuss "true blacks" video issue with you, mostyl because i probably know more about it, but just don't think it's important here...there is no contrast or black level issue on 1000z, i think we'll agree....i would bitch about it first if i saw it!
there might be small differences between the 2 scopes, but nothing to write home about.

(BTW, what exactly is YOUR experience with image processing again?)
i dislike "experience arguments", they mean the argument is in the toilet, once we come to that.
but to answer, i did a lot of video work.
experience doesn't matter but what is said.
regarding sensor/raster alignment, did you know about this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kell_factor
yes, it doesn't matter much, but it's an interesting concept.

Later, pa3bca investigates further and confirms my observation that, indeed, the black is 'off'- and discovers the cause: green subpixels leaking. More CONFIRMATION. This is how science works.

no. in my book you have something like this
http://televisions.reviewed.com/how_we_test
( Konica Minolta CS-200 Chroma Meter )
and measure both displays. science should be DIRECT. it's simpler that way, isn't it?
albeit i don't have much against your method too, but there's better way than making negative photos.
i'm mostly talkign about how your discussion started.

and "blackness of the black" has nothing to do with subpixel rendering anyway...black is where there are no fonts.

Nothing you mentioned will affect the fringing caused by the sub-pixels, which you would know if you understood LCDs and image processing.
you're using that trash talk again: you can't trash me, ok?
i understand everything you're talking about perfectly.
but i have a problem with some of your original methods in this post
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-series-font-size/msg559800/#msg559800
in ds2k b/w image i would say it has a bit more dust on the display...or jpeg artefacts blown a lot.
 ;D
ok, there's some difference, but it could of been just the slightly different camera angle or scope position.
to me you blowing these photos is not science. it's resizer and jpeg artefacts more than exact science.

now i'm looking  images a bit closer: these macro photos are piss-poor, and i see that z has more "modern" graphics, ie more shades where 2k has none.
the fonts and subpixel rendering look simillar, but z uses different graphics elements.
for example
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-series-font-size/msg559826/#msg559826
background on the z has 3 shades, 2k just one. the border element (around word "normal") is not the same on both scopes. the contrast is too  much on z images. but that couls also be camera in the auto mode making different adjustments etc.
could also be that this is closest to the truth
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-series-font-size/msg559843/#msg559843

let me reiterate again, i'm not much interested in fonts (but if anything, i would forbid cleartype technologies everywhere, and now you know i know exactly what you're talking about  here.  ;), but if you want i can make a decent macro photo of this scope's fonts, if you can't pull the magnifying glass and tell us what you see on both...heh...  ;D

god damn you're discussing fonts and you can't make a decent macro photo of them....

(for example; your belief that the DS2000 was set to High Res mode in my photo)
no.
i asked
"(hires mode on?)"

and then refuse to acknowledge your mistakes (or else make a snarky response to deflect).
what mistakes exactly?
if i mentioned some ways photos can be skewed it doesn't mean i was wrong about those ways indeed can make a difference.

i will repeat, images in this post
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-series-font-size/msg559800/#msg559800
are not science for me. it's fuzzy blowup.

most of the difference you saw are different graphic elements on the z series!
not fonts sub-pixel rendering and the stuff you mentioned.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:12:45 pm by i4004 »

Offline i4004

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2014, 08:23:09 pm »
hold on, it is different sub-pixel rendering.
green is lower or higher. it's not aligned.
you can't even see this without great magnification.
different displays.

so, do i admit mistakes?

but still, forget about black levels, it's not it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:24:59 pm by i4004 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf