Author Topic: Rigol DS1054 trigger output  (Read 1297 times)

Offline FenichelTopic starter

• Contributor
Rigol DS1054 trigger output
« on: June 28, 2020, 04:55:54 am »
  Does anyone have experience with using this feature of the DS1054 oscilloscope?

I though I could use it to see how often a rare brief signal (5 us every minute or so) appeared in channel 1 by triggering on channel 1, then running a cable from the trigger output to the input of channel 2, with the time base then set as slow as possible, so that I could watch channel 2.   

This doesn't seem to work.  Channel 2 starts out low, then rises to ~3.4V when channel 1 is triggered, but then channel 2 stays high indefinitely.  The manual is nonspecific, but I somehow expected that the Trigger Output would be a pulse, not just a change or state.  What am I missing?

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Rigol DS1054 trigger output
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 03:21:53 pm »
The trigger output is not really a trigger output; instead it reports the start of a sweep so it really it tracks the waveform acquisition rate.  A since it is synchronous with the sweep, monitoring it with the same oscilloscope is not particularly useful.  You might connect it to a separate frequency counter.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:31:37 pm by David Hess »

The following users thanked this post: Fenichel, hexreader, Fungus

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054 trigger output
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 04:49:58 pm »
You can also put scope in peak detect mode and put it on very slow timebase if only number of pulses are important.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf