Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z  (Read 7839 times)

Offline ghayerTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 09:43:42 pm »
Does the software you recommend only work with the Linux and Mac operating system? or is it also useful for windows and where can I download it

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 10:04:13 pm »
of course, the usb symbol should appear to know that the usb memory is connected but it does not already test several and with none but before doing the hack if it worked for me.

Then why don't you try to do a factory reset and uninstall the hack?

Don't get me wrong: If the hack, or whatever else you did, has really broken your scope's capability to use the USB port, I feel your pain. It's just that a connection with the hack is highly unlikely: The procedure has been known for years, and has been performed by many people on this forum and elsewhere. Nobody has ever reported this kind of problem. And the upgrade codes produced by the Riglol code generator are the same which Rigol sells you, so there is no good reason at all why they should "break" anything.

It seems much more likely that something else, unrelated to the hack, has caused the problem. Maybe you accidentally bumped against the USB stick while it was plugged in, and you broke a connection off the PCB?

It does not help the diagnosis that you only mention certain observations several posts later (and with an annoyed undertone too). I don't think you told us initially that you had already tried multiple USB sticks. And you only told us just now that, apparently, you realized all along that the root issue is that your scope does not even recognize the USB stick, and does not show the USB icon.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2020, 10:07:30 pm »
Maybe you accidentally bumped against the USB stick while it was plugged in, and you broke a connection off the PCB?

It does not help the diagnosis that you only mention certain observations several posts later (and with an annoyed undertone too). I don't think you told us initially that you had already tried multiple USB sticks. And you only told us just now that, apparently, you realized all along that the root issue is that your scope does not even recognize the USB stick, and does not show the USB icon.

Agree with all above.

I repeat, the "hack" in itself doesn't do nothing to the USB disk!

Offline Adrian_Arg.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2020, 10:31:14 pm »
In my case, I would disassemble the ds1054 rigol, and check that the welding of the port is correct, or I would review the connections with a soldering iron.
in spanish
yo en mi caso desmontaria el rigol ds1054, y revisaria que las soldadura del puerto este correcta, o la repasaria las conexiones con un soldador.

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2020, 11:15:47 pm »
You could at least in advance (before opening the device)
check whether at least the +5V DC and Gnd are still present on the socket.

With thin measuring tips, this is possible with any DMM.
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2020, 08:42:17 am »
The USB Flash drive needs to be smaller the 4GB.

Not true. Any USB stick problems are in the formatting, not the size.

If the hack, or whatever else you did, has really broken your scope's capability to use the USB port, I feel your pain.

It hasn't. The two events are completely unrelated (except in time).

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2020, 08:48:41 am »
Any USB stick problems are in the formatting, not the size.

And it should be noted that MS Windows doesn't do a low level format of USB sticks when you click "format".

If your stick is incompatible with Rigols then you need a formatting utility. Windows won't fix it.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 08:59:48 am »
If your stick is incompatible with Rigols then you need a formatting utility. Windows won't fix it.

You mean "just Windows won't fix it" because there are many of those formatting utilities that run in Windows.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2020, 01:19:13 pm »
Any USB stick problems are in the formatting, not the size.

And it should be noted that MS Windows doesn't do a low level format of USB sticks when you click "format".

.. nothing does a low level format. We haven't had the ability to do a low level format on common storage media in a very long time.

Windows, like every other utility, simply uses its own built in library (the one every other utility uses) to write out filesystem metadata.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2020, 01:33:19 pm »
If the OP has indeed tried multiple USB sticks without success, then a physically damaged USB port seems like a real possibility. In my DS1054Z, the USB jack is a through-hole part, which should not be that easy to damage by bumping the USB stick. (Lower right of the photo below, right next to the opening for the power switch.) But there was a report in another thread here that Rigol has switched the encoders from through-hole to SMD parts; maybe they have done the same for the USB jack?

I second klausES's proposal to check the GND and 5V connections on the port as a first plausibility test. Although you would then probably open up the scope for a visual inspection in any case -- be it to try and fix the 5V line, or to confirm that the data lines are OK too.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2020, 02:33:27 pm »
Mine was so difficult to get to play that I did actually open and inspect the port - which was fine. Eventually I went through to some of my larger sticks and it decided it was happy with one pair in particular.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2020, 05:19:49 pm »
Does the software you recommend only work with the Linux and Mac operating system? or is it also useful for windows and where can I download it

Sorry, but I don't use Windows at home. I doubt if you could compile it on Windows.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 05:28:09 pm »
...If you want to read screen copies under Windows via LAN or USB connection, I can offer you my program "Rigol Bildschirmkopie".
The program "Messinstrumente" can currently only read in screen copies and curve data via USB connection. The LAN connection is in progress.
Both programs can be switched to English.
http://peter.dreisiebner.at/...
Oh interesting.
I'll take a look afterwards.
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2020, 05:36:53 pm »
...report in another thread here that Rigol has switched the encoders from through-hole to SMD parts; maybe they have done the same for the USB jack?...
So I just looked at my "new" board (pictures taken).
The layout and hardware of the USB socket have not been changed. No SMD soldering.

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 11:54:01 pm »
Goodnight.

Still not working it does not detect the USB memory probe 4gb - 8gb - 16gb and nothing.
I place a USb detector and turn it on normal so that voltage is coming.

What else can I do ? thanks

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2020, 08:25:48 am »
What else can I do ? thanks

Two paths you could follow:

To ensure that there is really no physical damage to the USB jack, you have to open the scope and inspect the traces. The scope is easy enough to disassemble; do note the somewhat hidden screws behind the handle though. If your scope is still under warranty, you may want to try and leave the tamper-proof sticker intact. That is supposedly possible by carefully slithering a thin knife or foil underneath it and lifting the sticker; I never tried that. Or, of course, if the scope is still under warranty you could send it back to the dealer for troubleshooting.

If you really suspect the hack to be the cause of the problem (very unlikely in my opinion):
(a) Do a factory reset -- power the scope off and on again, while repeatedly pressing the 5th softkey from the top, in the row to the left of the screen. This will also reset the language to Chinese, so you will have to set it back to English (right row of softkeys). 
(b) Uninstall the options by sending the SCPI command SYST:OPT:UNINST.

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2020, 11:25:14 pm »

the previous options pressing the button on the left side I already did it rebooted to Chinese language but nothing.
Could you explain to me how the last one you mentioned is done?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2020, 06:43:15 am »

You will need a program that connects to the scope via Ethernet or USB (the connector on the back which hopefully works!), and allows you to send SCPI commands to the scope. Rigol's official software can do that, but is very inflated; I don't recommend it.

Peter Dreisiebner's "Bildschirmkopie" is a nice, lightweight software, availabe for Windows and Linux. It can get screenshots from the scope via a simple graphical user interface, and also lets you send individual SCPI commands to the scope. USB and Ethernet connections are supported.
http://peter.dreisiebner.at/rigol-bildschirmkopie

There are brief English installation instructions towards the bottom of the page. The software itself can be switched to English.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2020, 08:23:43 am »

You will need a program that connects to the scope via Ethernet or USB (the connector on the back which hopefully works!), and allows you to send SCPI commands to the scope. Rigol's official software can do that, but is very inflated; I don't recommend it.

Peter Dreisiebner's "Bildschirmkopie" is a nice, lightweight software, availabe for Windows and Linux. It can get screenshots from the scope via a simple graphical user interface, and also lets you send individual SCPI commands to the scope. USB and Ethernet connections are supported.

Or you can just open a command line and type 'telnet'

(port 5555)

The following users thanked this post: ghayer

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2020, 03:25:55 pm »
THANKS FRIEND ebastler. WITH THE PROGRAM I WAS PERFECT TO SAVE THE CAPTURES AND IT SEEMS BETTER BECAUSE THEY ARE SAVED ON THE PC DIRECTLY THE SOFTWARE IS VERY FLUID.

THE OPTION TO SEND THE COMMAND CANNOT DO IT.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2020, 04:47:19 pm »
But you should use the right command. The short form of the commands is maximal 4 characters long. In the manual the command is described incorrectly.

:SYSTem:OPTion:UNINstall
:SYST:OPT:UNIN

The 'long' versions of the commands will work correctly.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2020, 04:50:22 pm »
Hey, glad the "Bildschirmkopie" works for you!  You can thank PeDre for that, who has posted just above -- he is Peter Dreisiebner, the author of the program.  :-+

When you say that sending the command does not work -- what happens exactly when you try to send it? Did you see PeDre's note above that one should abbreviate the command as :SYST:OPT:UNIN ?

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2020, 08:10:18 pm »
Peter, just tried your "screen copy".

Works very well. It is not overloaded with unnecessary and fast.  :-+
Thanks for your good work.  :)

The following users thanked this post: PeDre, egonotto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf