Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z 4th channel only showing a blue line on top  (Read 287 times)

Offline giorgi3092

Rigol DS1054Z 4th channel only showing a blue line on top
« on: May 26, 2020, 09:04:10 pm »
Hi,

I have Rigol DS1054Z which I have not used often for a while. When I used it, I don't remember having ever used the 4th channel. Even if I have, I have exclusively worked with very simple circuits powered with maximum of 5V from USB. Recently, I started working on a bigger project and where I needed all fourth channels. As I turn it on, it only shows a blue line like so (!):

Okay, I think maybe it's really up there for some reason, so I increase volts/division, and same happens:

Am I missing something obvious or my fourth channel might be internally broken?

Thanks!

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z 4th channel only showing a blue line on top
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:43:18 pm »
Remove the blue probe (CH4 probe), select the 4th channel (press the CH4 button so it lights green), then press the "POSITION" knob (the one you normally turn).  The blue trace should come to middle.  (Yours will probably not come to middle, since in the pics it looks like you are probing a voltage > 40V).

The only other thing to try is to remove all probes, let the instrument powered on for 30 minutes (to achieve thermal equilibrium), then do a self calibration:  Press "Utility" button, "down arrow" on the right side of the screen, then press "Self-Cal" button.

The self calibration routine will take a few minutes to finish.

From the pics, it looks like all this will be for nothing, most probably CH4 is defective.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:44:58 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline giorgi3092

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 10:27:48 pm »
Remove the blue probe (CH4 probe), select the 4th channel (press the CH4 button so it lights green), then press the "POSITION" knob (the one you normally turn).  The blue trace should come to middle.  (Yours will probably not come to middle, since in the pics it looks like you are probing a voltage > 40V).

The only other thing to try is to remove all probes, let the instrument powered on for 30 minutes (to achieve thermal equilibrium), then do a self calibration:  Press "Utility" button, "down arrow" on the right side of the screen, then press "Self-Cal" button.

The self calibration routine will take a few minutes to finish.

From the pics, it looks like all this will be for nothing, most probably CH4 is defective.

I have already tried that with no luck. Clicking the vertical position knob does nothing. As for calibration, I have tried that too a few days ago multiple times, it goes well until it starts calibrating the fourth channel where it just freezes.

I am just gonna try it again anyway now.

Also noticed another thing:
if I change the vertical volts/division the scope's Vmin and Vmax display functions show the following:
@ 1V/div : Vmax = ******,  Vmin = 5.12 V
@ 10V/div : Vmax = ******,  Vmin = 51.2 V
@ 100V/div : Vmax = ******,  Vmin = 512 V

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:33:30 pm »
It looks like a faulty unit, as it shows the trace on maximum value regardless of the vertical scale.  Contact your local Rigol rep for a warranty repair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf