Poll

Can you reproduce the Freeze-up Bug as described in this thread?

Yes, can reproduce the freezing.
42 (39.6%)
No, can't reproduce the freezing.
64 (60.4%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z Freeze-up Bug Confirmed ??  (Read 184032 times)

Offline alsetalokin4017Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Rigol DS1054Z Freeze-up Bug Confirmed ??
« on: June 03, 2015, 02:03:48 am »
Wow. I'm getting a reproducible bug that's pretty darn severe.

The scope freezes up, becomes totally non-responsive (but still displays live waveform) when the Horizontal Zoom mode is engaged, and a Persistence Time other than "min" is selected.

Cycling power restores functionality --- usually.

I discovered this on Firmware 04.02 and now have upgraded to Firmware 04.03 and it still does the same thing.  One channel active, showing a waveform, select the Horiz. zoom mode by pressing the Horizontal Scale knob, select any Persistence Time other than Min ... and scope freezes.

If I select a persistence time _before_ selecting the Horiz. zoom mode... the scope freezes, and since I have "Last" set as power-on option, the scope comes up frozen after restarting !! So I have to do the "press repeatedly the 5th left menu button during startup" to get the scope back to responding again (reset to defaults, chinese language).

Am I the only one experiencing this?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:33:23 pm by alsetalokin4017 »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z Freeze-up Bug ?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:29:41 am »
Am I the only one experiencing this?

I can't reproduce this bug running firmware 4.02.  I've tried several different settings before zooming and then changing the persistence and the scope hasn't frozen on me.

-katie

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 04:03:13 am »
Hmmm..... thanks for checking. That's kind of discouraging though... if others can't reproduce it, then it means there is something wrong with my scope.... again. I'm past the vendor's 30 day warranty period now, too. Grr.

I discovered it using firmware 04.02 and then changed to 04.03 and it still does it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 05:07:04 am »
Here's a video:

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 05:20:56 am »
I don't seem to be able to reproduce the bug by changing persistence after going into zoom mode.  However, I did notice a small visual artifact on the screen after having done that, so I suspect there's a memory-related bug here.

On the other hand, I was able to reproduce the issue by changing the persistence first and then going into zoom mode.  Fortunately, thanks to the original message, I set the scope up to boot up with the default settings, so I avoided having to use the magic reset method.  :)

That method reproduces the issue consistently.  This is with firmware 4.02.SP4.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 05:26:16 am »
To help others reproduce the issue, you may try to save the scope setup on a file, and post it (or link it) here.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 05:34:24 am »

Quote from: bitwelder on Today at 07:26:16 AM
To help others reproduce the issue, you may try to save the scope setup on a file, and post it (or link it) here.

I was able to reproduce the issue by doing the following with no probes connected:
  • Boot the scope
  • Change the display persistence by pressing the "Display" button, then changing the "Persis Time" to 500ms.
  • Press the horizontal timebase knob.  This will put you into horizontal zoom mode.
  • At this point, the scope stops responding to any input (except the power button, of course  :)  ).
The issue reproduces for me without fail when I do the above.

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z Freeze-up Bug Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 06:10:54 am »
Thanks. I feel a little better now... at least it's not _just_ my scope alone that does it. This is a pretty bad bug, IMHO. No user input or combo of settings should be able to make a scope freeze up and require rebooting! This isn't Windows we are talking about, after all.

As far as I can tell only the Horizontal Zoom and the Persistence settings determine the bug; it seems that other settings are irrelevant, can be anything. But I've attached a setup file (zipped for the upload) which works for me anyway, below. Just load the setup, press Horizontal knob to enter zoom mode, then change the persistence from the Display menu. Or set the Persistence first then enter zoom mode.

Online Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 06:58:26 am »
Is there a bugzilla tracker for rigol bugs yet?
Seems like we are spotting a lot of bugs.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 07:14:28 am »
Is there a bugzilla tracker for rigol bugs yet?
Seems like we are spotting a lot of bugs.
Sure there is, our very own Katie started this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-series-(ds1054z-ds1074z-ds1104z-and-s-models)-bugswish-list/

And it seems to get bigger by the day.  :palm:

Also recent discussion in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bugzilla-environment-for-tracking-bugs-on-the-software-in-rigol-scopes/msg669925/#msg669925
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 07:55:06 am »
I have also encountered freeze when using horizontal zoom,  but I'm sure that I wasn't messing around with persistence settings, something else triggered the freeze. I will try to reproduce it.

Anyway,  it seems that there is something off with the horizontal zoom option.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 12:41:58 pm »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-series-(ds1054z-ds1074z-ds1104z-and-s-models)-bugswish-list/

I'd love to record this bug as soon as I'm able to reproduce it, I always check them myself before adding to the list.  For the life of me I can't reproduce this no matter what I do.  I'm a bit reluctant to load the settings files that alsetalokin4017 attached in case there's a corruption in there that's causing this lockup issue.

Is there anyone else that can't reproduce this problem?

One other related thing to check: When not zoomed in and showing the DISPLAY menu do you see the Persistence setting gray-out and switch to MIN when the timebase setting is 200ms and longer?  The return to normal (still at MIN) when you're back under 200ms?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:45:36 pm by kwass »
-katie

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 02:17:34 pm »

I'd love to record this bug as soon as I'm able to reproduce it, I always check them myself before adding to the list.  For the life of me I can't reproduce this no matter what I do.  I'm a bit reluctant to load the settings files that alsetalokin4017 attached in case there's a corruption in there that's causing this lockup issue.

Is there anyone else that can't reproduce this problem?

One other related thing to check: When not zoomed in and showing the DISPLAY menu do you see the Persistence setting gray-out and switch to MIN when the timebase setting is 200ms and longer?  The return to normal (still at MIN) when you're back under 200ms?
Yes, I see that happening, too but I didn't consider it a bug since it only happens at the very slow timebases; somehow it seemed logical that it would act that way at very slow timebase settings. Also, my "freeze" bug does _not_ seem to happen at these very slow timebases. I don't know where the threshold is but setting to 1 microsecond/division definitely works on mine to cause the freeze bug.

Katie, could you please try this: Connect only one probe, CH1, connect it to the Calibrator output. Press the "Auto" button to let the scope set its own parameters and display the Calibrator signal. (I hardly ever use Auto but in this case it lets us start at some known setup.)  Mine sets itself to 200 us/div horizontally and 500 mV/div vertically. Now test for the bug: press Horizontal scale knob to enter Zoom, and then select the Display menu and try to change to 100 ms or 200 ms persistence. Here I get no freezebug, it seems to behave normally if somewhat slow to respond. Now reset Persistence to Min, exit Zoom mode, and then change Horizontal timebase to 10 us/div. Enter Zoom mode and then try changing Persistence to 100 ms. My scope freezes here.

So it appears that on my scope at least, the freezing doesn't happen if the timebase is relatively slow. But at faster timebases it happens.

Offline Tainer

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 04:13:14 pm »
FW 4.0.3 - can't reproduce the bug. Tried different persistence settings. Don't remember having this issue on 4.0.2 either.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 05:31:14 pm »
FW 4.0.3 - can't reproduce the bug. Tried different persistence settings. Don't remember having this issue on 4.0.2 either.

Did you try it with the timebase set to 1 us/div?

So we have had one other person who was able to reproduce it, and several who have not been able to.

I've now confirmed that it happens to my scope even when the options are "re-locked" back to stock no-options 1054z mode.

I think, also, that it might not happen when "memory depth" is set to the maximum in the Acquire menu. Try setting to "Auto".

Offline Tainer

• Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z Freeze-up Bug Confirmed ??
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 06:01:17 pm »
Nope, same result at 1uS/div. UI does seem less responsive, but no lock-ups.
It might be interesting to see if you could access the scope from the PC when it freezes.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 06:41:21 pm »
Nope, same result at 1uS/div. UI does seem less responsive, but no lock-ups.
It might be interesting to see if you could access the scope from the PC when it freezes.

No, when it's frozen it won't accept a Telnet connection nor will it respond to the Bildschirmkopie program. I'm using Linux so the UltraScope software isn't an option.  When it's not frozen I can use Telnet normally for all SCPI commands and the Bildschirmkopie program fetches screenshots and communicates normally.

I've now confirmed that the freeze happens when the Memory Depth is set to Auto, and doesn't happen when the maximum depth is set (12M for "unhacked" and 24M for "hacked" status.)

Offline Solder_Junkie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 07:22:40 pm »
I've tried and failed to lock up my 1054Z using all the suggestions posted so far, it is still on options trials) and has firmware 4.02.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 07:34:04 pm »
Maybe the reproduction steps can be tried after a factory reset, to confirm that it is not related to a customer specific configuration in the scope.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 08:47:38 pm »
I can't reproduce it on an MSO1054Z-S, firmware 4.02 SP4 board 6.1.1.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 09:52:46 pm »
Maybe the reproduction steps can be tried after a factory reset, to confirm that it is not related to a customer specific configuration in the scope.

Well, the closest thing to a "factory reset" is what comes up when one repeatedly presses the 5th dark grey left menu key during bootup, right? The scope comes up in Chinese. So I set English. The 1 us/div and Auto memory depth are set by default already. So I set Persistence to 100 ms, then enter Zoom mode... and it freezes.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 09:58:18 pm »
Hmmm... this is pretty strange indeed. We have at least one other person who IS able to reproduce the freezeup, but several others who cannot.

Well, now that I know it can be avoided by using full memory depth, it's not really much of a problem for me, but it certainly is strange that some (at least two!) scopes have the bug and others don't.

Another short video illustrating the issue:

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 10:08:14 pm »
Just a note: if you touch the screen of the scope with the stylus, don't you scratch the screen? :)
I am usually very careful in touching the screen of my scope, multimeter or laptop.
When you are using a PDA, then of course the screen is designed for using a stylus, that's a different case :)

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 10:10:32 pm »
Hmmm... this is pretty strange indeed. We have at least one other person who IS able to reproduce the freezeup, but several others who cannot.

Well, now that I know it can be avoided by using full memory depth, it's not really much of a problem for me, but it certainly is strange that some (at least two!) scopes have the bug and others don't.

Another short video illustrating the issue:

What's the date of calibration for your scope?  Mine's March 4, 2015, and I only took delivery of it yesterday.  It's the closest thing I can think of to a "build date", something we could use to determine roughly when these were made.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 11:17:07 pm »
Just a note: if you touch the screen of the scope with the stylus, don't you scratch the screen? :)
I am usually very careful in touching the screen of my scope, multimeter or laptop.
When you are using a PDA, then of course the screen is designed for using a stylus, that's a different case :)

I don't think a slight tap from a bamboo chopstick is going to hurt it! I'm very careful myself too, it's a lot harder to clean off fingerprints than it is to avoid leaving them in the first place.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf