Poll

Can you reproduce the Freeze-up Bug as described in this thread?

Yes, can reproduce the freezing.
42 (39.6%)
No, can't reproduce the freezing.
64 (60.4%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z Freeze-up Bug Confirmed ??  (Read 184026 times)

Offline Marcos

• Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z Freeze-up Bug Confirmed ??
« Reply #450 on: February 02, 2016, 09:41:14 pm »
.. are you spammer from Siglent or gwInstek guy?

Have you seen any of my posts advertising their products? :)
Thanks for the tips anyway.
Any comments about the "floating" board number?
Does that mean something for you guys?
Start your scope..bang...vers.0.1.1
Restart...0.2.3 Does that feel right for you?
Maybe those of you guys who are supporting this scope have the new bootloader version and you never seen such errors on yours. Lucky you :)
But try to think about all those who still have this version. Is it right or wrong?
Why after they got the broken scope from alsetalokin4017 they are still quiet?
Why in Poland they still sell this "buggy" version?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:43:20 pm by Marcos »

Offline canibalimao

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #451 on: February 03, 2016, 08:36:16 am »

Why should them stop selling those models in Poland, if they don't assume the fault, and keep selling in other countries? Why is Poland special?

Offline Marcos

• Contributor
« Reply #452 on: February 03, 2016, 01:07:01 pm »

Why should them stop selling those models in Poland, if they don't assume the fault, and keep selling in other countries? Why is Poland special?

It's not about Poland being special. Was just an example based on location from the other user who said that he recently bought the scope and still have the bugs.
But your point is really good. They don't want to assume the fault , still they are aware that the fault exist.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #453 on: February 03, 2016, 01:09:28 pm »
Apply the hack to upgrade trial options to Official and see the magic. Board version will change from 0.1.1. to 0.2.3 from time to time.
Now imagine what a piece of junk is inside this scope. Use the scope with time base bigger than 1 sec and it will take ages to refresh the screen.

Well... it might. If it's waiting for a trigger event and has a huge memory buffer selected.

Just so you know: Triggering can be turned off, memory buffer size can be configured. It's the way DSOs work.

Thanks God I sold mine but I feel sad about new owner, maybe he will use it just as a decoration inside his lab :)

Or... maybe he's perfectly happy because he knows how to use a DSO.

Your loss, his gain.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:07:42 pm by Fungus »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #454 on: February 03, 2016, 01:45:12 pm »
Totally. This scope is cheap enough that absolute beginners can afford them, so they buy one, but don't know what they're doing and blame the scope. Look at this amazon review of it:

Avoid this scope
While the scope itself is not bad, it has two major deficiencies for anyone wanting some serious work
1) The date in it cannot be changed. As crazy as it sounds in 2015..... it has a default date of December 31, 1969 at 4:00 PM and every single one of the saved files will have exactly the same date and time stamp. Imagine having a few days worth of data that no longer can be correlated to the conditions you were experimenting with
2) The file saving process is borderline useless. Sometimes it picks it's own names. overwrites data files etc. It can take 3 to 4 minutes to enter a name. The file saving system is likely based on DOS software and feels like it is indeed from 1969 like the permanent date stamp in the system
3) The voltage scale that you put prior to taking a reading has a tremendous influence on the actual reading. For example, if you had it at 100 mV per division and you were reading something in the 1-3 V region, you will definitely get the wrong reading (drastically different). If you are one scale away, then it is able to adjust in time. ie if you had it in the 500 mV per division and reading something in the single digit, then it will scale accordingly and you get more real data. What this means is that most times, you have to take the data twice to confirm you have real data

In any case, knowing what I know now, I would definitely keep looking for another brand. The thing that irritates me the most is that they gloat about having 20 M of memory when in reality this memory is borderline useless. I would rather have 1 M of memory that is useable that 20M that is useless

BUYER BEWARE!!!! Don't make the mistake I made and regret it

|O |O |O

I replied with the following comment. If I'm wrong in something I said, feel free to tell me and I shall adjust accordingly.
You have no idea how DSOs work, don't know how to use them, nor did you do your research on the product. You should remove this review because it's got no bearing on the quality of the product.

It doesn't have a real-time clock, nor does it claim to. The files don't have timestamps at all: The file creation timestamp you're seeing is the beginning of the UNIX date epoch (1/1/1970 at midnight), adjusted for the time zone and DST status of your computer.

The sample memory isn't for long-term logging, it's for pre- and post-trigger review of a signal.

The vertical scale absolutely has an effect on measurement, since that sets the gain of the input amplifiers, so if you set a low range and then measure a signal that exceeds the range, it will clip. Every oscilloscope works this way. Most DSOs (including this one) use 8-bit sampling, which means just 256 signal levels. Consequently, it's essential that the input range matches the signal you're looking at. If the 256 levels had a fixed mapping to the maximum input range (10V/div, 8 divs vertical, so 800V peak-to-peak), so that it never clips, it would only be able to resolve 3V steps, regardless of range.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #455 on: February 03, 2016, 03:25:34 pm »
I would rather have 1 M of memory that is useable that 20M that is useless
sounds like a Siglent/Instek fanboy who got sucked up by the 1Mpoints FFT brainwash stuff. or a blind faith believer of Dave's Chapter 845 (17:45) ;D
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline GonzoTheGreat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #456 on: February 22, 2016, 01:41:46 pm »
So what is the current status of the Freeze Bug and the Math Bug ?

Did Rigol acknowledge them?
Did the latest software update fix them?

If "not" - when is the next version due ?

Offline alsetalokin4017Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #457 on: February 22, 2016, 06:01:20 pm »
So what is the current status of the Freeze Bug and the Math Bug ?

Did Rigol acknowledge them?
Did the latest software update fix them?

If "not" - when is the next version due ?

Freeze Bug: As far as I can tell this bug is associated with Boot Version 0.0.1.2. Perhaps not all scopes with that version will freeze. The newer Boot Version 0.0.1.3 does not seem to have this particular bug. If you have the earlier Boot Version and the bug, the rest of the firmware doesn't matter, it will still freeze when the conditions are met even with the latest SP2 firmware update. There does not appear to be any way for the user to update the Boot Version -- that I know of. I have asked Rigol USA several times about this but never got a real answer. I returned my old scope with the Freeze Bug to Rigol USA in return for a newer one with Boot Version 0.0.1.3 but have not heard anything from them about it.  As far as I can tell all scopes that have the Freeze Bug are using Boot Version 0.0.1.2. I had both scopes (BV 0.0.1.2 and BV 0.0.1.3) for about three days and tested them side-by-side under identical setups and conditions.

At the beginning of this thread we did not know how to display the full System Information screen which shows the Boot Version and other scope data, so we didn't collect that data for most of the people who reported freezing. The procedure to do this is to press _very fast_ the keys in the Trigger section: Menu, Menu, Force, Menu, and then Utility>System>System Info. This should bring up a complete System Information screen. If it doesn't work at first, press the key sequence faster.

Math Bug at 500 ns/div: I've heard nothing from Rigol about this bug, and it is not fixed by the latest software update. At 500 ns/div with a Math trace displayed that uses two-trace math like A+B, A*B, etc. the Math result is offset horizontally from the input traces and appears to be at a slightly different horizontal scale.

Measurements Fail bug: I reported this to Rigol USA as soon as I found it, and they were able to reproduce it immediately on their scopes. This one seems to have been introduced by the update to latest firmware SP2; at least I never noticed it on earlier versions. It may also be related to Boot Version 0.0.1.3.  If you have a Math trace running, all Measurements will simply stop working at some random time, and cannot be restarted. You have to power-cycle the scope to get Measurements back. The "work-around" is to not display the Math trace continuously but only have it up for a few seconds while needed. Still, the Measurements may stop working in those few seconds since the time-to-failure is random. All Measurements stop working (except Hardware Freq. Counter), not just the ones you may have displayed at the time, and power-cycling is the only way I've found to get them back working again.

All these bugs are there whether the scope is "unlocked" to 100 MHz with all options, or "virgin" stock 50 MHz with no extra options.

When is the next firmware version due? I don't know. Maybe Rigol knows.... certainly there are plenty of things that need fixing. The SP2 firmware introduced the Measurements Fail bug, the Pluses spelling error, the occasional pulses miscounting, and the really bad slowing down of certain control responses like Vertical Positioning and others. And it did not fix the Math horizontal error at 500 ns/div. It did fix a few other things that were annoying to me, and that's good.

Rigol really should make it possible to easily roll back to earlier firmware versions, so that people can try new firmware releases and if they don't like the effects they can go back to earlier versions. I think many people are unhappy about the slowing down caused by the latest SP2 firmware. That doesn't bother me as much as the Measurements Fail bug though. Not being able to roll back to earlier updates is a real "fail" on Rigol's part, as is not providing current Boot Versions in update files.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #458 on: February 22, 2016, 06:21:15 pm »
Is the boot version even upgradable, or is that portion of the flash locked? I've tried the 4.0.0.0 release that has the boot update in it but my boot version didn't change(in my case a good thing).
VE7FM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #459 on: February 22, 2016, 06:51:53 pm »
There does not appear to be any way for the user to update the Boot Version -- that I know of. I have asked Rigol USA several times about this but never got a real answer.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #460 on: February 22, 2016, 07:52:17 pm »
There does not appear to be any way for the user to update the Boot Version -- that I know of. I have asked Rigol USA several times about this but never got a real answer.

Yet there was at least one firmware release with a boot update and instructions on how to do it. Perhaps there is one specific firmware version out there that would allow an update.
VE7FM

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #461 on: February 22, 2016, 09:09:57 pm »
Yet there was at least one firmware release with a boot update and instructions on how to do it. Perhaps there is one specific firmware version out there that would allow an update.

My DS1054Z displays
  • a "software version" - that seems to be the version number typically referred to as the firmware version in the forum,
  • a "firmware version", and
  • a "boot version".
Is the difference between the three well-understood? Are we sure that the lower-level "stuff" Rigol distributed with one of the early updates was really a boot loader update, or could it have been a firmware (as opposed to the normal "software") update?

Confused... ???

Offline Kaziq

• Supporter
« Reply #462 on: February 25, 2016, 07:34:44 pm »

Measurements Fail bug: I reported this to Rigol USA as soon as I found it, and they were able to reproduce it immediately on their scopes. This one seems to have been introduced by the update to latest firmware SP2; at least I never noticed it on earlier versions. It may also be related to Boot Version 0.0.1.3.

I have boot version 0.0.1.2 and I can reproduce this bug. So it looks loke it's not boot-related for me.

Does anyone beside me hope that the reason Rigol haven't released a firmware update yet is that they started thoroughly testing their new firmware update to avoid releasing one with more bugs this time? I think I'm too optimistic sometimes.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #463 on: February 25, 2016, 08:33:23 pm »
I have boot version 0.0.1.2 and I can reproduce this bug. So it looks loke it's not boot-related for me.

I don't think it is either.

Logically: The bootloader isn't doing anything once the system is up and running.

I think it's a hardware bug. Some internal timing is right on the limit of working/not or something like that. It's the only way it can happen consistently on some scopes and never happen on others.

Will it be firmware-fixable? I dunno.  :-//

Offline GonzoTheGreat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #464 on: April 30, 2016, 03:33:00 pm »
Well, what's going on with these bug fixes?
Does Rigol even acknowledge them?

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #465 on: April 30, 2016, 03:35:11 pm »
The release updates several times a year.

Offline eNigMa_k19

« Reply #466 on: July 24, 2016, 06:55:32 am »
Firmware v00.04.04.00.07 no more freeze up bug

Before update

Nothing connected to inputs and persistence on any setting than min would freeze up scope when horizontal zoom enabled

After update

Any persistence setting and horizontal zoom enabled works now   :-+

Model               DS1104Z(1054Z enabled all options)
SW                  00.04.04.00.07
Board version   0.2.1
Boot version     0.0.1.2
FW                  0.2.3.11
CPLD Version   1.1

The following users thanked this post: edavid, ebastler

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #467 on: July 24, 2016, 09:08:37 am »

Before update

Nothing connected to inputs and persistence on any setting than min would freeze up scope when horizontal zoom enabled

After update

That must be the "Fixed the bug of system halted for wave persistance in the Zoom mode" in the release notes.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #468 on: July 24, 2016, 12:36:22 pm »
Well... it's nice to know that this "hardware bug" is finally fixed for early Boot Versions, with a software update.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #469 on: July 24, 2016, 03:46:26 pm »
Well... it's nice to know that this "hardware bug" is finally fixed for early Boot Versions, with a software update.

It could be a hardware bug: A variation in timing or something out of spec.

The software detects/compensates.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #470 on: July 25, 2016, 04:34:38 am »

Before update

After update

Model               DS1104Z(1054Z enabled all options)
SW                  00.04.04.00.07
Board version   0.2.1
Boot version     0.0.1.2
FW                  0.2.3.11
CPLD Version   1.1

For what it's worth, I don't have that bug at all, and I'm not at latest firmware:

ModelDS1104Z
SN(ommitted)
Software Version00.04.03.02.03
Board Version0.1.4
Boot Version0.0.1.4
Firmware Version0.2.3.11
CPLD Version1.1
Build DateSep 11 2015 09:42:... (ommitted)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #471 on: July 25, 2016, 05:40:46 am »
As far as I am aware, only scopes with Boot Version 0.0.1.2 were subject to the Freeze Bug, and (apparently) not all of them. I know of no cases of scopes with Boot Version 0.0.1.3 or 0.0.1.4 that could be made to freeze in this manner.

Whether it is a software or hardware bug, I'm just glad that Rigol has finally fixed it. I first reported it to Rigol a little over a year ago.
(They fixed it for _me_ by sending me an updated scope with Boot Version 0.0.1.3 installed.)

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #472 on: July 25, 2016, 10:07:24 am »
Apologies I should have replied to this thread with the message below.

I have upgraded my scope to the latest 2016 f/w and so far I can confirm that the 'lockups' appear to be fixed.  The  Maths offset  using *4017  set up but with a 1Mhz square wave shows no delay offset for A+B, AxB etc.  Also I have been unable to reproduce the Stats/Pluses' count lockup despite running for a number of hours.  I haven't noticed any slowing of response to controls in comparison with the previous build but one does adapt quickly and forget easily! 

John

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #473 on: July 25, 2016, 10:41:28 am »
Whilst playing around with the X-Y mode I accidentally created a lock up requiring a reboot to clear.  Unfortunately I do not know how I did it and cannot recreate it.  I had switched to Hor delay/zoom  mode, changed my mind and went X-Y mode and it all locked up.  Pushing panel buttons never released it.  May I hit a f/w hiccup with my button selection speed who knows.  Perhaps someone else may manage to create it otherwise or it may be just bad luck?
John

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #474 on: April 18, 2018, 02:42:18 pm »
Sorry for reviving this but just want to inform that I have a GEL with version 4.4.1.1 that has a bootloader version > 0.0.1.2 (for sure) .

(It was extracted from a scope NAND).

Code: [Select]
F:\zscan\original\RIGOL\DS1000\DS1000Z-00_04_04_01_01\DS1000ZUpdate_NAND.GEL  /  CRC32: 4C2EF338
00000000 - File Type: DS1000Z
00000010 - Software Branch/Version: 00.04.04.01.01
00000020 - Bitmask: 00000F00
00000024 - # Sections: 11
Offset    Section Name                SectiSz   StartAdr  CRC32     Type
00000028  /sys/SparrowAPP.out         00107791  000002BC  865DD4FE  00000001  [000002BC-00107A4C]  CRC OK
00000064  /sys/SparrowFPGA.hex        000C4372  00107A4D  C72D7DD0  00000005  [00107A4D-001CBDBE]  CRC OK
000000A0  /sys/SparrowDGFPGA.hex      00046F04  001CBDBF  AD60366F  00000006  [001CBDBF-00212CC2]  CRC OK
000000DC  /sys/SparrowBootloader.sb   000503B0  00212CC3  E62EF3EE  00000008  [00212CC3-00263072]  CRC OK
00000118  /sys/logo.hex               000BB818  00263073  1F2E52B7  0000000A  [00263073-0031E88A]  CRC OK
00000154  /sys/guiResData.hex         000B6B34  0031E88B  9C2E4FC0  0000000C  [0031E88B-003D53BE]  CRC OK
00000190  /sys/guiPicData.hex         0001E6BF  003D53BF  10D74A0D  00000011  [003D53BF-003F3A7D]  CRC OK
000001CC  /sys/SparrowConfig.hex      000BB818  003F3A7E  09D39C43  00000010  [003F3A7E-004AF295]  CRC OK
00000208  /sys/SparrowWaveTable.hex   000020E8  004AF296  B1CE7C07  0000000B  [004AF296-004B137D]  CRC OK
00000244  /sys/SparrowCalFile.hex     00022EFD  004B137E  91673CA7  0000000F  [004B137E-004D427A]  CRC OK
00000280                              00000118  004D427B  00000000  00000032  [004D427B-004D4392]
Offset    CRC32     Flags     Filesize  Endianes  Branch/Version
000002BC  82AC1341  00000003  00107779  AA5555AA  00.04.04.01.01  [000002D4-00107A4C]  CRC OK
00107A4D  C9AF5D56  00000000  000C435A  AA5555AA  00.04.04.01.01  [00107A65-001CBDBE]  CRC OK
001CBDBF  138E13B9  00000000  00046EEC  AA5555AA  00.04.04.01.01  [001CBDD7-00212CC2]  CRC OK
00212CC3  --------  --------  --------  --------  --------------  [00212CC3-00263072]
         ***  Bootloader Header  ***
00212CC3          Header SHA-1: 49D6C3738FA6FD2AE905AAF7E090E7EF79BA5463  [00212CD7-00212D22]  HASH OK
00212CD7           Signature 1: STMP  MAGIC OK
00212CDB        Format Version: 1.1
00212CDD                 Flags: 0x0000
00212CDF            Image Size: 000503B0
00212CE3   1st Boot Tag Offset: 00212D53
00212CE7   1st Boot Section ID:
00212CEB     # Encryption Keys: 1
00212CED  Key Dictionary Start: 00212D33
00212CEF           Header Size: 00000060
00212CF1     # Section Headers: 1
00212CF3   Section Header Size: 16 bytes
00212CF5        Random Padding: 0x5EBD
00212CF7           Signature 2: sgtl  (Sigmatel?)
00212CFB         Creation Time: 27-04-2015 14:28:39
00212D03       Product Version: 999.999.999
00212D0F     Component Version: 999.999.999
00212D1B             Drive Tag: 0x0000
00212D1D        Random Padding: 0x8F9A3D11874A
         ***  Sections Table  ***
00212D23   ID:      | Ofs: 00212D63 | Len: 000502F0 | Flg: 00000001 - ROM_SECTION_BOOTABLE
         ***  Key Dictionary  ***
00212D33  OTP Key0 Hash: DB4E7528C0F9A5207DD91E755303EC2B  CBC-MAC_AES OK
         ***  Session Key (decrypted)  ***
00212D43  Key: 46A9672A461903686222309F13ED6302  (using OTP Key0)
         ***  Sections (decrypted)  ***
00212D53  TAG  | 0001 | Sect ID:      | Len: 000502F0 | Flg: 00000001 - ROM_SECTION_BOOTABLE
00212D63  LOAD | 0000 | Adr: 00000000 | Len: 0000003C | CRC: 408DF430  CRC OK
00212DB3  LOAD | 0000 | Adr: 00000400 | Len: 00003548 | CRC: DAE63C06  CRC OK
00216313  FILL | 0000 | Adr: 00018000 | Len: 00000960 | Ptn: 00000000
00216323  LOAD | 0000 | Adr: 00008000 | Len: 00000020 | CRC: 4D3C6D73  CRC OK
00216353  CALL | 0001 | Adr: 00008000 | Len: 00000000 | Arg: 00000000
00216363  LOAD | 0000 | Adr: 00000000 | Len: 00000040 | CRC: A9978A44  CRC OK
002163B3  FILL | 0000 | Adr: 00007FFC | Len: 00000004 | Ptn: 00000000
002163C3  LOAD | 0000 | Adr: 41000000 | Len: 0004CC10 | CRC: 2AE4A733  CRC OK
00262FE3  FILL | 0000 | Adr: 41300000 | Len: 00001900 | Ptn: 00000000
00262FF3  FILL | 0000 | Adr: 41301900 | Len: 00003B44 | Ptn: 00000000
00263003  FILL | 0000 | Adr: 41900000 | Len: 00300000 | Ptn: 00000000
00263013  LOAD | 0000 | Adr: 00008000 | Len: 00000020 | CRC: DF5BA493  CRC OK
00263043  JUMP | 0001 | Adr: 00008000 | Len: 00000000 | Arg: 00000000
         ***  File SHA-1 Hash (decrypted)  ***
00263053  File SHA-1: C0274B0B57C7687849AB8D042F3E3C23142D9D42  [00212CC3-00263052]  HASH OK
  Block Processed OK
00263073  9B4EA177  00000000  000BB800  AA5555AA  00.04.04.01.01  [0026308B-0031E88A]  CRC OK
0031E88B  271E3AB5  00000000  000B6B1C  AA5555AA  00.04.04.01.01  [0031E8A3-003D53BE]  CRC OK
003D53BF  01873014  00000001  0001E6A7  AA5555AA  00.04.04.01.01  [003D53D7-003F3A7D]  CRC OK
003F3A7E  5DEF7058  00000000  000BB800  AA5555AA  00.04.04.01.01  [003F3A96-004AF295]  CRC OK
004AF296  27F4C06F  00000000  000020D0  AA5555AA  00.04.04.01.01  [004AF2AE-004B137D]  CRC OK
004B137E  1E61A8F6  00000000  00022EE5  AA5555AA  00.04.04.01.01  [004B1396-004D427A]  CRC OK
  File Processed OK

If anyone is still interested in upgrading the bootloader, please contact.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf