Author Topic: Rigol DS1054z Hack  (Read 22664 times)

Offline engrguy42Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Rigol DS1054z Hack
« on: March 20, 2020, 09:34:33 am »
Not sure if everyone is aware (in fact I've seen recent posts showing some AREN'T aware), but you no longer need to hack the 1054z to get the higher bandwidth and all those other features that used to require hacking.

I bought a DS1054z a couple months ago and they are all enabled by default. Perhaps folks were referring to 2019-vintage units or maybe second hand?

Anyway, here's the list of the default installed options on my scope:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:18:24 am by engrguy42 »
- The best engineers know enough to realize they don't know nuthin'...
- Those who agree with you can do no wrong. Those who disagree can do no right.
- I'm always amazed at how many people "already knew that" after you explain it to them in detail...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054z Hack
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 12:18:27 pm »
The BANDWIDTH is set to 100MHz? That's new!

Does the sticker on the front of yours say DS1054Z?

All the other things have been enabled since last November.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 12:20:06 pm by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 12:43:15 pm »
The front sticker says 1054Z. It was sold as a 1054Z at the same price ($350, from Tequipment/Amazon). The system info screen shows it as a Model DS1104Z.

So yeah, it seems like they recently decided to include the 100MHz also, and updated the System Info to reflect the included options. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 12:49:17 pm by engrguy42 »
- I'm always amazed at how many people "already knew that" after you explain it to them in detail...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 01:23:04 pm »
So yeah, it seems like they recently decided to include the 100MHz also, and updated the System Info to reflect the included options.

The system info changes to match the enabled bandwidth. If you downgrade your 'scope it'll say "DS1054Z".

This almost seems too weird to believe. Was your 'scope sealed inside two layers of boxes when you received it?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 01:35:29 pm »

The system info changes to match the enabled bandwidth. If you downgrade your 'scope it'll say "DS1054Z".

This almost seems too weird to believe. Was your 'scope sealed inside two layers of boxes when you received it?

Yup. A legit Amazon seller.

I suppose you could contact Rigol to verify if you have doubts.

Or maybe it just goes to the really cool people... :D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 01:38:32 pm »
Or you could go to tequipment.net and ask them...

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 02:09:02 pm »
Was the device advertised by the dealer at 50 or 100MHz?

It is normal for the type designation to change from DS1054Z to DS1104Z after the hack.
If DS1054Z is still written on the front panel, you can only assume that the dealer carried out the hack
(or it was a returned device that was hacked by the previous owner).

Rigol certainly does not sell DS1104Z with DS1054Z on the front panel ...
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

The following users thanked this post: kingsolmn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 02:24:35 pm »
Sure seemed like a new unit.

Whether Rigol or Tequipment changed it is, IMO, somewhat irrelevant isn't it?

If you buy a Rigol DS1054Z from Tequipment on Amazon it will likely be 100 MHz.

Again, of someone wants to verify you're free to contact Rigol or Tequipment.

Online TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 02:29:19 pm »
If it was shipped by amazon, then it could be a return from a customer.  If amazon checks the returned item and considers it is like new and in condition to be sold, they re-ship it without the original seller knowing about it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 02:56:43 pm »
If it was shipped by amazon, then it could be a return from a customer.  If amazon checks the returned item and considers it is like new and in condition to be sold, they re-ship it without the original seller knowing about it.

Amazon has the resources to check whether all of a Rigol DS1054Z's digital oscilloscope's functionality is "like new" ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:05:31 pm by engrguy42 »

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 02:56:56 pm »

That is the most likely option.

The question of whether the dealer advertised it as 50 or 100 MHz would still be important here.
If advertised at 100 or knowingly hacked by the dealer, he should have trouble with Rigol.

Even if Rigol one day comes up with the idea of only selling the 100MHz version (regardless of the price of the 50MHz),
they would not do this with the foil lettering of the 50s.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:59:26 pm by klausES »
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 03:19:08 pm »
Hold on...my apologies. Forgive the old guy whose memory is getting worser and worser...

I'm the one who did the 100MHz upgrade months ago. It was so quick and easy I forgot I did it. I just looked at the hack procedure and realized, "Oh yeah, I did that!!"

Sorry. It came with all the other options enabled, but I hacked the 100MHz.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 04:10:43 pm »
Hold on...my apologies. Forgive the old guy whose memory is getting worser and worser...

I'm the one who did the 100MHz upgrade months ago. It was so quick and easy I forgot I did it. I just looked at the hack procedure and realized, "Oh yeah, I did that!!"

Dude! You could hide your own Easter eggs.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: luma, I wanted a rude username, kingsolmn, stafil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 04:21:57 pm »

Dude! You could hide your own Easter eggs.

:-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

My wife loved that one too :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 04:25:24 pm »
Looks like CRS has reared its ugly head again. :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 07:05:39 pm »
You should be forgiven.  ^-^

Offline Audio101

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 03:34:53 am »
Hello,

I JUST bought the Rigol DS1054Z from TE Equipment. brand new. sealed in the box. latest firmware. arrived 5-4-20 and it came loaded with all options EXCEPT the 100Mhz did not show up on the screen. all others showed "official". I did the hack and added just the 100Mhz option and it worked and now shows 100m as an official option.

and FYI, if you go to the Rigol website, you can sign up for a 5 year warranty!

I want to Thank Dave Jones and the EEV Blog youtube channel for helping me make my decision. I had a small digital scope i was not terribly happy with. I have used the Tektronix small scopes at work and they are quite nice. but also quite expensive. I started shopping to see what else i could find and there were quite a few mentions of the 1054Z and the hacks etc. after watching all the EEV videos on the model. I decided the value was just too good to pass up. I have 2 other scopes I use for my audio design work. Sencore SC3100 which i love as my mains cope and an old HP 1200B with differential inputs i use for monitoring. and the Rigol will serve for the occasional digital troubleshooting and added channels etc.

The following users thanked this post: NEDM64, Fungus, kingsolmn

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 11:58:17 am »
Hello,

I JUST bought the Rigol DS1054Z from TE Equipment. brand new. sealed in the box. latest firmware. arrived 5-4-20 and it came loaded with all options EXCEPT the 100Mhz did not show up on the screen. all others showed "official". I did the hack and added just the 100Mhz option and it worked and now shows 100m as an official option.

and FYI, if you go to the Rigol website, you can sign up for a 5 year warranty!

I want to Thank Dave Jones and the EEV Blog youtube channel for helping me make my decision. I had a small digital scope i was not terribly happy with. I have used the Tektronix small scopes at work and they are quite nice. but also quite expensive. I started shopping to see what else i could find and there were quite a few mentions of the 1054Z and the hacks etc. after watching all the EEV videos on the model. I decided the value was just too good to pass up. I have 2 other scopes I use for my audio design work. Sencore SC3100 which i love as my mains cope and an old HP 1200B with differential inputs i use for monitoring. and the Rigol will serve for the occasional digital troubleshooting and added channels etc.
Welcome to the DS1054z owners club!  Mine is a go-to workhorse that gets used frequently.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 01:24:12 pm »
i recall there was a thread telling that Rigol gave away this promotion feature to some authorized sellers maybe 1 or 2 years ago, maybe its now the default setting...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 02:44:50 pm »
i recall there was a thread telling that Rigol gave away this promotion feature to some authorized sellers maybe 1 or 2 years ago, maybe its now the default setting...

You didn't read the following msgs... the guy had done the upgrade but didn't remember...    ;D

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2020, 05:12:35 pm »
it seems my memory is still intact and got it on the first keyword... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-now-comes-unlocked/?topicscreen but not everything, such as Fungus was in the thread. and sometime the delusion that 100MHz was included. funnily i keep forgetting people's name, even close friends or relatives, esp when they got same name with others i remember. fortunately i still remember Ohm's Law and the 3 Laws of Newton ;D
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2020, 05:26:09 pm »
In a few years someone reading this page will start a new thread and the issue will come up once again with other actors...   ;D

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 06:14:39 pm »
it seems my memory is still intact and got it on the first keyword... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-now-comes-unlocked/?topicscreen but not everything, such as Fungus was in the thread. and sometime the delusion that 100MHz was included. funnily i keep forgetting people's name, even close friends or relatives, esp when they got same name with others i remember. fortunately i still remember Ohm's Law and the 3 Laws of Newton ;D
There are some advantages to dementia, you can hide your own Easter eggs!

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2020, 08:09:35 pm »
well sometime it reveals more than it can hide. i wish i can get rid some of the things in my mind but i cant pick which one i dont like to trash..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf