Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z rotary encoder mod *works!*  (Read 72593 times)

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z rotary encoder mod *works!*
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2020, 06:40:14 pm »
Also, for what it's worth, the original encoders in my THT board appear to be from a called LJV.

I suspect that the original encoders are their "RE11 Low Profile Rotary Encoder". (I must say that I enjoy how the non-detented ones are pine green, while the detented ones are lime green.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:46:23 pm by tooki »

Offline smartislav

« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2020, 07:08:17 pm »
TL;DR
For keyboard v01.02 (with 1:2 SMD encoders), these THT panel-mount encoders https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/652-PEC11L4215FS0015
can easily be converted to SMD. I just did it and it works just fine.

The only thing is, it might be a little bit too fast. The controller skips steps sometimes.
Another option (with fewer steps) is https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/PEC11R-4215F-S0012 but it's only rated for 30000 cycles (against 100000 for the first one). Also, it's not low-profile. Not sure if it fits or not. It's temperature range is slightly different, too. So I'm not sure if it's just estimated within a different confidence interval or something.

[attach=1]

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2020, 09:53:26 pm »
The encoder you are using now has 30 detents 15 pulses.
This corresponds to the last theses for locking encoders that could work with this board and the software.
He also has an overlap of 50% (unfortunately, my first attempt with an Alps didn't have that).

What I'm interested in.
Is your encoder (30 detent, 15 impulses) when slowly turning now exactly one menu item or two from one detent to the next?

My question is, because with the original encoder with 20 pulses everyone is used for jumps,
Your current one at 15, whether the software interprets 30 or the real 15 from it.

If a brisk turn leads more often to errors such as skipping a menu item (I noticed that often in my attempts)
a 24 (or 20) detent with 12 (or 10) pulses would probably be more suitable for this board.
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline smartislav

« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2020, 10:06:08 am »
Is your encoder (30 detent, 15 impulses) when slowly turning now exactly one menu item or two from one detent to the next?
Yep, exactly one.

My question is, because with the original encoder with 20 pulses everyone is used for jumps,
Your current one at 15, whether the software interprets 30 or the real 15 from it.

If a brisk turn leads more often to errors such as skipping a menu item (I noticed that often in my attempts)
a 24 (or 20) detent with 12 (or 10) pulses would probably be more suitable for this board.
It does jump. I'm not 100% satisfied with the replacement.

The problem is, after you turn it quickly, the firmware on the board might get confused. Some of the subsequent turns might be missed.
But if you only ever turn it slowly, it works just fine.

I should've put a scope on the signal traces to debug the issue, but alas. It might be caused by my rework of the PCB pads I tore off. Another possible cause is different signal filtering requirements.

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2020, 10:32:58 am »
The knob, which is very small in diameter, favors a very fast pulse sequence when it is turned quickly between the fingers.
A larger knob would defuse that, but it is not a nice solution.

Therefore 24 detent with 12 impulses could probably cause fewer problems.
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2020, 05:36:24 pm »
From what I can tell, for everyone with a board using the 1:1 THT encoders, the optimal Alps part number is STEC11B13 (EC11, 20mm shaft, with button, 20 detents, 20 pulses; AKA EC11B20244), and the equivalent Bourns (which is an active part) is PEC11L-4120F-S0020 (PEC11L, 20mm shaft, with switch, 20 detents, 20 pulses).

For those with a 2:1 SMD encoder board, it'd be one of the following Alps models:
EC11J0924411
EC11J1524413 <-- probably this one
EC11J0925403
EC11J1525402

Those differ in number of detents/pulses (# of pulses in red) and button travel (in green, 4=0.5mm, 5=1.5mm travel). My guess is that 0.5mm travel is probably the right one, but I don't know whether 9 or 15 pulses is better. AFAIK, either will work, just at different speeds obviously. Given that Bourns only makes this in a 30-detent/15-pulse version, my hunch is that the second one (in bold) is likely what Rigol is using, insofar as the Chinese clones will also probably be of the most widely available type. The equivalent Bourns part is PEC11S-9220F-S0015.
So I ordered a PEC11L-4120F-S0020 for my scope, and when it arrived, I was surprised to discover it's 5mm longer than the original. Turns out that on the plastic-shaft encoders, they include the encoder body in the shaft length, while on the metal-shaft ones, they don't!  |O |O |O  So when I went by the 20mm shaft spec on the 12mm plastic encoder people recommended earlier, it actually required a 15mm shaft in metal.

I now have a PEC11L-4115F-S0020 on the way. But for the SMD models, I don't know what to suggest. Nobody seems to stock the 15mm shaft SMD version of the Bourns (PEC11S-9215F-S0015), and Alps doesn't even have a part number for a 15mm SMD version!

I'll update the post accordingly.
Oh yeah, I forgot to update here!

The PEC11L-4115F-S0020 is a perfect fit in my THT version of the scope. It works perfectly, too. The only thing is, the detent force is way, way higher than in the detented encoders the scope came with for e.g. horizontal scale/timebase . If I had a vacuum desoldering gun, I’d consider swapping them, since the larger knob of the timebase makes the larger force less noticeable. For example, the strong detents are a bit annoying when moving cursors.

With that said, it’s still way better to use than with the no-detent encoder. I’d rather be slightly annoyed when moving cursors than be constantly infuriated when trying to use menus.

The following users thanked this post: Shock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf