Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z trigger adjustment  (Read 4374 times)

Offline permalTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol DS1054Z trigger adjustment
« on: March 05, 2017, 07:21:19 pm »
Hi,

I bought my Rigol DS1054 about half a year ago and although I'm very happy with it, there is one thing that annoys me quite a bit - trigger level adjustment. Is there anyway to do a coarse adjustment so that I don't have to turn the trigger knob until my fingers bleed?

As seen the attached image, the trigger is currently at 796mV, and to get it to ~3V (top of the signal) requires something like 20 turns. Am I doing something wrong?

Current firmware is 04.04.04.

Thanks in advance!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Rigol DS1054Z trigger adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 07:25:29 pm »
Do they have a "Set to 50%" with a press of the Trigger level control ?
Many DSO's do.

And welcome to the forum.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 07:31:50 pm »
Thanks.

No, pressing the trigger button resets the trigger to zero.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 07:51:45 pm »
Am I doing something wrong

Well, you are displaying a 3v peak signal at 100 mV/div, which is kind of weird, since your entire screen will only cover 800 mV of the waveform. At such settings your experience of needing lots of turns to set your trigger level to 3 volts is normal. Try displaying the signal at a vertical setting such that you see the whole waveform on screen without clipping. Then set your trigger where you want it (should take fewer turns), and then change the vertical setting for greater vertical magnification if you need it.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 08:10:58 pm »
Well, you are displaying a 3v peak signal at 100 mV/div, which is kind of weird

Whats wierd about that? Perhaps I want to see how the signal looks at the peak? Anyway, that is not the question here.

Your suggestion is sound, though it means I'll have to zoom out, then zoom back in just to set the trigger level. I was hoping there was a way to avoid just that.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 08:53:31 pm »
It seems there is an optimal speed and rotation amount between each control refresh. I know when I try to crank the knobs too fast it actually moves slower.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 08:55:43 pm »
It seems there is an optimal speed and rotation amount between each control refresh. I know when I try to crank the knobs too fast it actually moves slower.
Oh, I must test that tomorrow to see if that makes a difference.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 09:09:29 pm »
Well, you are displaying a 3v peak signal at 100 mV/div, which is kind of weird

Whats wierd about that? Perhaps I want to see how the signal looks at the peak? Anyway, that is not the question here.
It's weird because it is not normal to have part for the waveform off the display. OK it might have a DC offset but in this case you use AC input coupling to remove the DC component.
In CRO's such operational mistakes overloaded the CRT plate output amps and was discouraged however with DSO's this is not a problem.
If there's no 50% button on a 1054Z then metrologist's suggestion seems right.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 09:19:31 pm »
It's weird because it is not normal to have part for the waveform off the display. OK it might have a DC offset but in this case you use AC input coupling to remove the DC component.
I'm just a happy hobbyist and I don't really see why that is weird, perhaps when I'm more knowledeable I will see it too. Anyway, your statement had me look up AC/DC coupling and I learned something new, so thank you for that.  :-+

Offline K5HJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 12:50:17 am »
Just press the knob to center the trigger on the screen then adjust it where you need it to be.

Randy

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 04:19:17 am »
Just press the knob to center the trigger on the screen then adjust it where you need it to be.

Randy

No, pressing on the Trigger level knob sets the trigger to the trigger channel's 0V baseline, which in the OP's original screenshot is _way_ below the bottom of the screen.

The whole "problem" here is that the OP is using a vertical setting of 100 mV/div and turning the Trigger Level knob over a range of 3 volts. Of course it takes some turning to do that! At 100mV/div vertical, the trigger level adjusts in increments of 2 mV, or about 40 mV per full turn of the knob, if you turn the  knob slowly. There are 8 full divisions vertically on the screen -- 800 mV! So the OP is displaying only about the top 600 mV worth of a 3V signal.  And at 40 mV per (slow) turn of the trigger knob ... well, do the math.

(It looks like the OP is displaying the Probe Compensation signal, in which case he needs to adjust the probe's capacitor a little bit to flatten out that trace on top...)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:24:15 am by alsetalokin4017 »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline K5HJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 05:06:13 am »
Best way to go about this is to fit the signal on the screen, adjust triggering, then expand and offset as desired.
Going to be hard to adjust triggering on something you can't see.

Randy

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 07:22:03 am »
Best way to go about this is to fit the signal on the screen, adjust triggering, then expand and offset as desired.
Going to be hard to adjust triggering on something you can't see.

Randy

This.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf