Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z vs Tektronix 2430A  (Read 2229 times)

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Rigol DS1054Z vs Tektronix 2430A
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:39:59 pm »
I have a solid Tek2215 60MHz, that's great for me as an analog scope (I have 2 1960s scopes as well)

I plan to get at least a new ds1054z as my main compact modern scope. And it has 4 channels. 50MHz w/1 ch I guess or is it 2 ?

Tonight I should replace the 2nd CCD hybird (did 1 last summer) in my Tek2430A. I'm not sure if thats classed as 40MHz or 150Mhz
Tektronix 2430A Digital Oscilloscope is a portable, dual-channel instrument with a maximum digitizing rate of 100 Megasamples per second. The scope is capable of simultaneous acquisition of Channel 1 and Channel 2 input signals. It has a real-time useful storage
bandwidth of 40 MHz for single-event acquisitions, with an equivalent-time bandwidth of 150 MHz when repetitive acquisitions are acquired. Since both channels are acquired simultaneously, the XY display is available to full bandwidth

I love the tek2430a, my 1st scope. But that could be hard/expensive to keep in parts I guess with those hybirds IC dying off. Data logging from it is harder/more expensive

As a DSO, what can it do better than the ds1054z ?

I could get 1 next month and sell the 2430a
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:45:25 pm by lordvader88 »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054Z vs Tektronix 2430A
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 10:23:24 pm »
About a decade ago, I had just a 400MHz 2+2ch Tek 2465B CRO, and a 200MHz 4ch Tek TDS2024B DSO.

Due to space constraints at the time I had to get rid of one of them, and with much reluctance the 2465B went, but the reality is that in practice, much as I love CROs, a DSO, even a TDS2024B, does a better job over all. Most important of all, a DSO offers persistent single shot, but there are plenty of other benefits too.

Perhaps the biggest downside of a DSO like the 1054Z is that it UI might feel quite sluggish and frustrating to navigate at first compared to a CRO, but the feature benefits over a CRO are enormous.

Keep in mind that all channels operate at 50MHz bandwidth, but the sample rate reduces the more channels you have running. At 50MHz this is not such a big deal, but at 100MHz it becomes noticeable if you have three or four channels running (250MSa/s each channel).

Also note that it’s a piece of cake to increase the bandwidth to 100MHz and liberate other features if they’re not already liberated.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Rigol DS1054Z vs Tektronix 2430A
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:56:37 pm »
Howard offers a good short summary but I should add for those venturing into the modern compact DSO world there's some specs one should research and consider.

# of ADC's, their max sampling rate and how this might be shared with 1, 2 or all channels active.
Same for memory depth.
Waveform update rate.
Maximum vertical sensitivity, real or contrived and is it at full BW or BW limited only.

Modern compact DSO's have limited front panel real estate in which to offer all their capabilities.....do you like the UI, are the 'features' you'd commonly use grouped efficiently and within 'easy' access with minimal keystrokes/button presses to gain access to them. How easy is it to record screenshots......do they show all the info (settings) you'd want captured .....the list is massive and one brands UI might be better than another.....for you.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf