Poll

How do you use, what do you think about your hacked/non hacked DS1054Z/DS1000Z series scope?

I use any of hacked serial decoding, advanced triggers, REC, MEM in the real usage scenario
19 (15.8%)
I measure the signals which require more than 50 MHz bandwidth
7 (5.8%)
Measure more than 50 MHz + use serial decoding/advanced triggers, REC, MEM in the real world scenario
29 (24.2%)
Hacked my scope but would rather trade hacked options for absence of bugs and better specs
7 (5.8%)
Have DS1000Z series scope but didn't hack it or hacked but don't use what hack offers
7 (5.8%)
Don't have DS1000Z but want to see poll results (empty vote)
51 (42.5%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: July 21, 2016, 10:17:31 pm

Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z/DS1000Z poll: are hacked options actually useful for you?  (Read 23499 times)

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
piracy.
please, let's not discuss it here, there is/was a dedicated topic and this one has already derailed in the usual feud anyway
(rigol DID offer bandwidth upgrades in the past, or at least my seller did)

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
Removed my guide to build DSRemote on U14.4.
I dont want to contribute to this thread, as it's becomming seriously derailed w. piracy outbursts

/Bingo
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:25:23 pm by bingo600 »

Offline Bzzz

• Contributor
  • shoving atoms
    • Wan Hung Lo Electronics Blog :)

For a DS1000Z model? Interesting.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Isn't considered piracy.... Is real piracy

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor

For a DS1000Z model? Interesting.
why is it so? you can upgrade your model to a greater bandwidth by means of a software licence, why don't sell it?*

anyway, as the rigol lovers would say you should only consider this scope as the 400$ but hacked one because otherwise it is indeed a piece of garbage, compared to the other brands alternatives
and apparently rigol doesn't even care to sell upgrades anymore until it keeps its presence in the hobbyist market

Altought i am "one of the seven" i won't sell mine until i'll have another two scopes so i won't need this as a throwaway. At the end of the day i can get the job done but this doesn't mean i won't get rid of it at the first occasion

*i am assuming it was an AUTHORIZED licensce, not a "we generate the code and sell it to you -smug pepe attached to the mail-"

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Isn't considered piracy.... Is real piracy
I don't want to start a generic argument about hacking but when it comes to the Rigol DS1054Z the hackability has turned it into (probably by far) the best selling oscilloscope ever. If Rigol took offense they could have plugged the hole in newer firmware versions a long time ago but they didn't. The same goes for the Riglol tool which allows to enable options on a large number of Rigol devices. By now Rigol could have issued a takedown notice for the website hosting the Riglol tool but they didn't. This means Rigol allows to 'hack' their equipment legally. Within many legal systems you have to take action within a certain amount of time otherwise it is assumed you allow things to happen and are OK with it (just like you can't back out of a deal you made).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
50 Mhz is only for Calcuta Madre Teresa, all the bad guys here ( including myself ) will get the 100 Mhz ( in fact a little more ) with all options, due to the genius marketing idea Rigol people have

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf