Author Topic: Rigol ds1074z "auto disabled"  (Read 10627 times)

Offline sfiberTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol ds1074z "auto disabled"
« on: June 16, 2014, 08:34:21 pm »
hi everyone.
I have a newbie in this forum and I want to say hello to all of you.I bought rigol ds1074z 3 days ago from local distributor but I have little problem that came tonight.when I press to auto buton,I take an error that says "auto disabled!" and signal dont autoseting and no clicky relay sound.there is a software problem with my oscilloscope and I try to default section in storage but nothing change.is there any of you have an idea about what's wrong it is.

Offline Sebastian

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol ds1074z "auto disabled"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 08:54:02 pm »
It is a feature. I disabled it on purpose because it is easy to hit by accident and I don't use it anyway.
I just googled it and the manual says you can only disable it with a PC using the command ":SYSTem:AUToscale 1".
You need to connect the scope ether directly via USB or to your LAN. Then you need to install the UltraSigma Software (http://www.rigol.com/prodserv/DS1000Z/software/).
There is a option to search for instruments or something. Click that and connect to the scope. Then I think right click on the scope and go to terminal or something similar and type the command and hit send. I am not exactly sure about every step because I don't have the thing right here at the moment, but you should get the idea.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:05:56 pm »
It is a feature. I disabled it on purpose because it is easy to hit by accident and I don't use it anyway.
I just googled it and the manual says you can only disable it with a PC using the command ":SYSTem:AUToscale 1".
You need to connect the scope ether directly via USB or to your LAN. Then you need to install the UltraSigma Software (http://www.rigol.com/prodserv/DS1000Z/software/).
There is a option to search for instruments or something. Click that and connect to the scope. Then I think right click on the scope and go to terminal or something similar and type the command and hit send. I am not exactly sure about every step because I don't have the thing right here at the moment, but you should get the idea.

thanks for the quick reply friend.I did not have an idea how its like but I understand little bit now.before posting I'm try to install from its cd but there is a problem in windows 8.it crashes at the starting at every try.cd's version is v01.05,then ? try to download it link  same of yours but it s too slow and after 10 mb there is an connection error.

Offline Sebastian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:12:43 pm »
I use Win 8.1 as well so it is probably a problem with the old version on the CD.
The Rigol Servers are quiet slow indeed but I guess you have to try it a few times and wait.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:27:02 pm »
ok @Sebastian ultra sigma is downloand now and after downloading I will install it and see what happens.but I dont understand how did happen suddenly,there is nothing to affect it.I did not even connect it to pc. :-BROKE

Offline Sebastian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 09:31:42 pm »
You can lock the auto button without a PC, but not UNlock it, so you could have locked it by accident.
I think that is for education, so the students can't use auto-set.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:37:40 pm »
Oooooo  :palm: I remember that hanging out in utility auto set options now.what an idiotic mistake.I remember it now.I think we gonna solve this problem

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 06:12:58 am »
You can lock the auto button without a PC, but not UNlock it, so you could have locked it by accident.
I think that is for education, so the students can't use auto-set.

Hi Sebastian,I started to download program  night then when I woke up it is downloaded.Then try to install to see it works or not but then I notice that,auto set function is work.While I was thinking about how can should be,I putted forward an idea that it says,there is a time limit to close to this function.what are you thinking about that.

Offline jimjam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:15:39 am »
Wow, this "feature" is stupid.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 11:05:45 am »

I dont why they put future like this but maybe it can be for educational reasons as sebastian says.

Offline Sebastian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 01:35:17 pm »
Hi Sebastian,I started to download program  night then when I woke up it is downloaded.Then try to install to see it works or not but then I notice that,auto set function is work.While I was thinking about how can should be,I putted forward an idea that it says,there is a time limit to close to this function.what are you thinking about that.

That's strange. I don't think it is time limited because It does not get deactivated for me. It could be a problem with your firmware version. You have to go to the Rigol website to request the newest one and they will give it to you. There is no direct download for some reason.

Edit: The newest version is also available here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus/3360/
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:43:18 pm by Sebastian »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 01:44:20 pm »

In Rigol all this kind of things are features?   8)    In other manufacturer scopes these are named as FW bugs.

If user can set auto off from normal front panel menu and then he can not return  it on without external equipments... what other it is than bug.  IF there is not way aout without external equipments.  (specially if even "default" do not not return it)

IF some special settings can off/on using external commands by computer then it can understand that changing these "hard" settings need external commands agen. This kind of command based deep setup table is perhaps nice for some special needs - but not very common feature)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:51:30 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Sebastian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 01:56:52 pm »
Indeed, it would be better if you couldn't lock it directly on the scope but it is definitely not a bug, because it is noted in the manual that it works that way.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 04:09:12 pm »
So,if you dont want to lock auto set,run away from utility auto options.

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 08:47:14 pm »
This is a feature every professor ever wishes they had on their lab scopes. And as sebastian says, if you personally hate auto (as MANY do, though not I), you might want this just to avoid bumping it.

That said, being unable to disable it without a PC seems unnecessary: if a student is capable of digging into a weird menu structure to re-enable Auto, they probably already know enough about the scope to use it responsibly.

Offline Eray

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 02:36:44 pm »
----- SOLUTION for the Auto LOCK! -----

No need to install that useless 500MB software (which sometimes work by chance) for cancelling Auto Lock.

Go to Storage-> DiskManage -> FlashErase and Confirm by clicking OK, then reset your Scope. Auto Lock has gone! ;)

To amateur Rigol engineers: this function must be added with a pin code, which will be saved to a user non-accessible flash :)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 03:32:31 pm »
Nope, that definitely doesn't work. Have to use the command.

Offline aveekbh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 03:52:44 pm »
You don't need Ultrasigma. Just connect the scope to Ethernet, telnet to the scope on TCP port 5025 and enter:
Code: [Select]
:SYSTem:AUToscale ON
The command is case insensitive and the lower case letters are optional.

Offline Gabri74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 10:26:47 am »
Indeed, it would be better if you couldn't lock it directly on the scope but it is definitely not a bug, because it is noted in the manual that it works that way.

I agree. Moreover, when you lock the Auto button from the menu a very clear warning message is given (something like 'this cannot be undone', don't remember exactly right now) and confirmation before proceeding is requested.
So definitely not a bug  :)
(or maybe a PBCAK bug  ;)  )

Offline fichamba

• Contributor
    • jngpro
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 09:10:24 pm »
You don't need Ultrasigma. Just connect the scope to Ethernet, telnet to the scope on TCP port 5025 and enter:
Code: [Select]
:SYSTem:AUToscale ON
The command is case insensitive and the lower case letters are optional.

Sorry…there is only one space between autoscale: on or there are no spaces?.
These are my results:

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:18:05 pm by fichamba »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2024, 09:23:23 pm »
Sorry…there is only one space between autoscale: on or there are no spaces?.
Thank you.

It's a single space, and no colon (":") after the "AUTOSCALE".

By the way, you don't need to reproduce the upper- and lowercase letters exactly. When describing SCPI commands, lowercase is used to indicate that this part of the command can be omitted to keep things shorter. The uppercase letters are required. You can send the command in upper- or lowercase as you prefer.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:36:57 pm by ebastler »

Offline fichamba

• Contributor
    • jngpro
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2024, 11:22:22 pm »
Thanks a lot, @ebastler

I will try it tomorrow, today in Madrid it’s a bit late…or early! And I’m not in the lab now.

Cheers!

Offline fichamba

• Contributor
    • jngpro
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2024, 03:07:10 pm »
I’m very sorry, but it doesn’t work, in any manner (uppercases, lowercases, as it is written here, leaving *IDN: before the command line…). It always throw me a timeout error (“VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015)  Timeout expired before operation completed”).

It’s really an ugly thing you can’t switch on the Autoset feature. I also looked for a new firmware, but mine is the latest one. I’m starting to hate this scope, indeed.

TIA, and thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT:
Dear friends and colleagues, in spite of the error messages, after all those maneuvers I turned off and on the scope and THE AUTOSET IS WORKING!
 :phew:

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 03:28:55 pm by fichamba »

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2024, 03:23:43 pm »
Maybe you should try without the "identify" command (*IDN?) upfront...  ;)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2024, 03:26:05 pm »
Indeed. Where did that "IDN?" come from?! You did not type that in yesterday's screenshot, so you were only a ':' away from success yesterday. ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf