Poll

Is the Rigol DS1074Z a good choice for someone that is new to Oscilloscopes?

Yes!
No!

Author Topic: Rigol DS1074Z Oscillosope  (Read 115447 times)

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1074Z Oscillosope
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2014, 12:08:08 pm »
I like the double packing, gives more protection and provides a nice inner box to keep for storage.

Offline godFather89

• Contributor
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2014, 12:28:36 pm »
I agree. I saw once the way the packages are thrown all over by the guys paid to handle them...  |O

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2014, 12:39:56 pm »
Hi,

I never got this thing of double packing...

Maybe somebody at Rigol is an ex-postman.

If you look at the first pic there's a wrinkle in the cardboard at top-right. Looks like it was dropped on that corner.

PS: I just powered it on. So far, so good...

I got my DS2072A and DP832 with this double packing.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

Offline kjetil_h

« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2014, 09:10:21 am »
DS1054Z arrived here too! Upgrades like a charm  :-+

Offline leppie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2014, 10:10:06 am »
Rise time pics before and after upgrade of DS1054Z

250mV does not really count :D

Generate at least 2.5Vpp signal.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2014, 10:33:46 am »

Good luck with your comments

Offline leppie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2014, 10:36:21 am »

Good luck with your comments

What do you mean?  :-//

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2014, 11:28:13 am »
It looks like everyone who hacked ds1054z to "ds1104z" don't have a 100MHz+ generator to test it untortunetly.
I will get mine probably tomorrow.
Since I don't have high speed signal generator I will try to measure rising edge on Arduino Due (84Mhz) and Rasspberry Pi: http://goo.gl/YF9MdW

But I don't have 50 Ohm feed through terminator so I'm not sure if my measurements will be valid.

If you have access to an analog VGA output, the sync and video signals are a pretty good source for clean and fast rise and fall time signals.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2014, 11:32:13 am »
Tnx. I'll see what I can find. (I do have some old laptops)

The scope was delivered today but I'll get to play with it after I get home from work.
I also plan to make one of these 50ohm terminators: http://goo.gl/ICvuHB
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:38:12 am by frenky »

Offline i4004

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2014, 09:36:58 pm »
For those interested in one of the DS1054Zs here in the EU, I strongly suggest you PM (or email) EEVblog member Drieg (Petr Smid) to see if/when he might have them in stock (I don't see them listed on his site yet), because he will meet (and sometimes beat) Batronix deals - plus he's the nicest, most attentive dealer I've ever dealt with. He always sends me the latest FW updates as soon as he receives it. I would never buy a Rigol product (or anything he carries) in Europe without checking in with him first.

i think you checked wrong category (2 channel)...see under 4 channel, he seems to have them (
Code: [Select]
Brand: Rigol
Product Code: DS1054Z
Availability: In Stock
), and on top (of nice price) delivery in eu is free.
i better contact him to check.  ;)

Offline Magnum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2014, 12:03:00 pm »
If you have access to an analog VGA output, the sync and video signals are a pretty good source for clean and fast rise and fall time signals.

I connected it to the sync signal of a VGA output and saw approx. 4.7 ns Risetime. I don't have much electronic experience, so I don't know if it really handles 100Mhz.
On the colour signals I was not getting clean signals. Resolution of the signal was 1440x900 which should give 106Mhz.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2014, 12:18:01 pm »
I've been using a tactile switch just for fun to see how quickly it can drop and it seems to work reasonably well.  One side of the switch is grounded and the other is run to a resistor to vcc.  I then use the scope probe with the ground spring on the side of the switch connected to vcc.  Set the scope to measure fall time, trigger on falling, set the threshold to the center, and press the button.  On my ds2072 I get around 1.2nS or so.  It seemed like last year when I was doing this I had it even lower than this though.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2014, 12:44:57 pm »

I connected it to the sync signal of a VGA output and saw approx. 4.7 ns Risetime. I don't have much electronic experience, so I don't know if it really handles 100Mhz.
On the colour signals I was not getting clean signals. Resolution of the signal was 1440x900 which should give 106Mhz.

Bandwidth depends on transition time and not resolution.  The last time I used a VGA output like this, even the sync signal edge times were faster than 300 MHz (*) so your 4.7 nanosecond rise time implies a bandwidth of 75 MHz (0.35 / 4.7e-9).  I am not sure how much faster than 300 MHz they are because that is the bandwidth of the fastest oscilloscope I have tried this with which did indeed report about 1.15 nanoseconds.

The color signals are more difficult to use but green should have the sync signals embedded in it.  If your oscilloscope supports TV triggering, then it should be able to use the green signal just like a composite video signal.  All of my Tektronix oscilloscopes which support TV triggering have worked correctly with the green VGA signal as the trigger source which I thought was pretty amazing given that they were intended for NTSC and PAL.  My ancient Tektronix 2440 DSO with the TV trigger option had no problems counting as many high definition scan lines as I could generate which was 1200 and more.

(*) VGA pixel clocks at high resolution require bandwidths of 300 MHz and higher but the performance implied by that bandwidth applies at any resolution.  In the past, VGA card bandwidth was part of the specifications because even at lower resolutions, it has an impact on display clarity.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2014, 04:13:14 pm »
If your oscilloscope supports TV triggering, then it should be able to use the green signal just like a composite video signal.  All of my Tektronix oscilloscopes which support TV triggering have worked correctly with the green VGA signal as the trigger source which I thought was pretty amazing given that they were intended for NTSC and PAL.  My ancient Tektronix 2440 DSO with the TV trigger option had no problems counting as many high definition scan lines as I could generate which was 1200 and more.

It would be interesting to know how the Rigol responds to that, since it's spec sheet claims it maxes out at 576p.  The DS2000 specs higher, but that could simply be a matter of product differentiation.  Or, as you've mentioned before, Rigol could have imposed an artificial line-count limitation.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2014, 04:16:19 pm »

Is that with a hacked or unhacked DS1054Z?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2014, 04:49:36 pm »
I just output an 8MHz square wave on a pin of my Arduino Uno and the rise time displayed on screen wobbles between 4.000 and 5.000ns.

(hacked 'scope, one active channel)

Edit: And very little ringing, I'm impressed....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:45:39 pm by Fungus »

Offline Magnum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2014, 06:08:04 pm »
I've been using a tactile switch just for fun to see how quickly it can drop and it seems to work reasonably well.  One side of the switch is grounded and the other is run to a resistor to vcc.  I then use the scope probe with the ground spring on the side of the switch connected to vcc.  Set the scope to measure fall time, trigger on falling, set the threshold to the center, and press the button.  On my ds2072 I get around 1.2nS or so.  It seemed like last year when I was doing this I had it even lower than this though.

I tried it with a switch and got around 2 ns (1.9 was the best).

Offline Magnum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2014, 06:08:57 pm »

Is that with a hacked or unhacked DS1054Z?
It is hacked with the 100 Mhz option.

Offline Magnum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #168 on: September 26, 2014, 06:11:48 pm »

Bandwidth depends on transition time and not resolution.  The last time I used a VGA output like this, even the sync signal edge times were faster than 300 MHz (*) so your 4.7 nanosecond rise time implies a bandwidth of 75 MHz (0.35 / 4.7e-9).  I am not sure how much faster than 300 MHz they are because that is the bandwidth of the fastest oscilloscope I have tried this with which did indeed report about 1.15 nanoseconds.

The color signals are more difficult to use but green should have the sync signals embedded in it.  If your oscilloscope supports TV triggering, then it should be able to use the green signal just like a composite video signal.  All of my Tektronix oscilloscopes which support TV triggering have worked correctly with the green VGA signal as the trigger source which I thought was pretty amazing given that they were intended for NTSC and PAL.  My ancient Tektronix 2440 DSO with the TV trigger option had no problems counting as many high definition scan lines as I could generate which was 1200 and more.

(*) VGA pixel clocks at high resolution require bandwidths of 300 MHz and higher but the performance implied by that bandwidth applies at any resolution.  In the past, VGA card bandwidth was part of the specifications because even at lower resolutions, it has an impact on display clarity.

It worked now, but the Risetime was lower on the color channles than on the sync signal (10-15ns / 4.7).

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: September 26, 2014, 07:15:28 pm »
It is hacked with the 100 Mhz option.

I wonder if it is _any_ different unhacked.  I've got one coming Tuesday.  I'll test it before and after.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2014, 08:45:08 pm »

The ancient Tektronix type 109 pulse generator uses this technique with a mercury wetted reed relay to generate 250 picosecond rise time pulses up to 300 volts.

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/109

Offline gmit77

• Regular Contributor
  • !
    • Batter Fly
« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2014, 07:31:51 pm »
ciao, yes RIGOL has pretty often the double package and it is really good for us since we are more confident to ship instruments to users.
there are some items very difficult to predict as the DS1052E, it comes very often with single pkg, in this case we add one more bo with some soft protection insede, trying not to make the new pkg too big.

I agree. I saw once the way the packages are thrown all over by the guys paid to handle them...  |O
Batter Fly
never stop innovating

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #172 on: October 04, 2014, 04:07:32 pm »
Guys do you have any idea if there is a chance to get rid of the YT screen when I enable XY ? I mean I would like to have XY mode all over the screen.
If not, is there a SW which can show XY mode in better resolution ?

Offline iRad

• Regular Contributor
  • Are you sure it's safe?
« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2014, 03:09:23 am »
Just got my DS1054Z in a double box. It is now unboxed, and a DS1104Z with all options...  ;)

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2014, 03:05:00 pm »
Guys do you have any idea if there is a chance to get rid of the YT screen when I enable XY ? I mean I would like to have XY mode all over the screen.
If not, is there a SW which can show XY mode in better resolution ?

I've asked the same question to the Rigol official support and they told me it is not possible. :--
Mauro

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf