Author Topic: Weird auto ranging behavior, another issue of Keysight multimeter?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline gamalotTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
I've found this strange thing while I was trying to test the secondary winding resistance of the transformer in my broken 34970A.

The resistance should be around 30 Ohm, but the range looks like stuck at 100k and wont go down to 100 Ohm automatically.

It only happens to my Keysight 34465A, all my other meters don't have this problem. See pictures.  :-//

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Weird auto ranging behavior, another issue of Keysight multimeter?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 02:35:45 pm »
A transfomer winding has a significant inductance. This could upset the resistance measurement and especially range (and thus current) switching. To reduce the inductance I suggest shortening one of the other windings while measuring resistance. 

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 02:44:02 pm »
A transfomer winding has a significant inductance. This could upset the resistance measurement and especially range (and thus current) switching. To reduce the inductance I suggest shortening one of the other windings while measuring resistance.

Yes I know what you are talking about and I totally agree with you. But what I wanna say is why it only happens to my 34465A not others.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 03:01:05 pm »
Newer meters tend to do things like auto ranging fast and thus makes them more sensitive to inductance. I would expect that some of the other DMMs will have a similar problem too.

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 03:05:06 pm »
I have just done some additional tests. If I turn off the auto-zero or turn on the low-power mode, the problem will be disappeared, Very interesting.  :-/O

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 03:08:17 pm »
Newer meters tend to do things like auto ranging fast and thus makes them more sensitive to inductance. I would expect that some of the other DMMs will have a similar problem too.

There are not too many new meters in the market, all I know are Keysight3446x/7x and Keithley DMM7510, any others?  :-DMM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf