Author Topic: Rigol DS1102E Fan Noise: Another Thought  (Read 5243 times)

Offline Harrzack

Rigol DS1102E Fan Noise: Another Thought
« on: January 24, 2013, 04:22:05 pm »
Greets to all!  Just (1/23/2013) received my DS1102E and as a quick overall impression:  For the hobbiest, Arduino-tinkerer this is a super device!  I've read ENDLESS reviews and finally said 'YES'.   If you are in the novice ranks this is just the ticket for you!

Having read many gripes about the noisy fan, I can now confirm that yes - it IS noticeable but not a show-stopper. 

Next - having read the comments here and elsewhere about replacing the fan, I was considering that route... but then it may NOT be the fan itself.  When the unit comes on, the fan is fairly quiet.  Then after a few mins it ramps up to what appears to be full speed, and the noise becomes apparent.  And the sound never changes after that... I'm now thinking - maybe it the temp-sensing system that is a fault.

Some years ago, Apple Computers had an issue such as there where certain machines would have the fan go into "Ram-Jet" mode and suddenly ramp up to full speed.  So perhaps the heat sensing/cooling system in the 'scope has too steep a curve and just goes from low to instant high...   Not sure how this could be fixed...  maybe a bogus or cheap thermistor or heat sensor...  maybe badly placed...

Just another thought  :-//

=Alan R.

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1102E Fan Noise: Another Thought
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 07:43:44 pm »
The fan in my Rigol was (is) running at full power all the time. The original fan had to go. It was replaced by a silent fan within a few weeks. (Noiseblocker, BlackSilent XR2, 60x25). I just cut and tied up the RPM wire.

Some specs:
Size : 60x60x25mm
 Weight :  60g
 Operating Voltage : 6-12,0 V
 Start Voltage : 4,5 Volt
 Input Power : 0,9 Watt
 RPM at 12V : 2200 (+/- 10%)
 Airflow max. m /h : 24 m³/h
 Acoustical Noise (dB/A) : 15 dB/A
 MTBF (25°C) : 30 000 Std.
 Connector : 3 Pin Molex incl. RPM signal
Pictures at http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-020-NB
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 07:50:40 pm by nixxon »

Offline Harrzack

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:56:58 pm »
Well - if I can't figure out how to have the Rigol not run the fan at full speed all the time - that fan sounds great!  I even found it on Amazon for $15 USD.   When you say you 'cut the RPM wire' - is that just a signal lead FROM the fan that isn't used?

=Alan R.

Offline nixxon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:17:20 pm »
Well - if I can't figure out how to have the Rigol not run the fan at full speed all the time - that fan sounds great!  I even found it on Amazon for $15 USD.   When you say you 'cut the RPM wire' - is that just a signal lead FROM the fan that isn't used?

=Alan R.

I believe the Rigol runs at 100% fan voltage all the time. There is no RPM connector from the Rigol to the fan. The RPM wire I cut was on the fan wire harness, as the Rigol only had 2 wires (positive and negative).

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 11:08:10 pm »
The fan in my Rigol was (is) running at full power all the time. The original fan had to go. It was replaced by a silent fan within a few weeks. (Noiseblocker, BlackSilent XR2, 60x25). I just cut and tied up the RPM wire.
The problem with replacing fans is that you'll need to make sure the amount of airflow stays the same or the scope may overheat.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline M0pmz

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 10:03:33 am »
...interesting!  These guys tested and did dB(A) sound-metering. Good to see and hear some real results:

youtube also compares DS2000's with DS1000.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 10:37:53 am »
I got my DS1102E about three weeks ago and there is almost no fan noise (yes it's working).

Offline DanHamer

• Contributor
  • You can put a square peg in a round hole.
    • Carbon Frog
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:23:17 pm »

I got my Rigol DS1102E about a month or so ago and although the fan is noticeable I'd say its no nosier than the fans in many other appliances. I've used PC with fans that are just as loud and louder. I'm easily annoyed by noises and I've had absolutely no problem working with my DS1102E. I fact I'd say its currently my number one favourite bit of kit. No disappointments what so ever.

Its my first proper oscilloscope. I've had pocket scopes in the past and use Analog Tek scopes at work and I can honestly say that getting the DS1102E has opened up whole new areas for me. I've also already user it to chase down a fix problems on two separate projects that I've been working on so its already justifying its cost. Highly recommended. :-+

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 01:58:58 pm »
I also got a DS1102E a few weeks ago, and I found the fan noise very annoying after using it for just a few minutes. It was much louder than my PC (even my old overclocked one). I replaced the fan with a quieter 60mm one and it's much better.  :-/O

Overall I'm very happy with the DS1102E. Realistically I don't need anything fancier, and I like the compact size because I don't have a big workbench.

Offline travellerw

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 05:09:52 pm »
Strange it seems like there may be some versions out there with a upgraded fan.

I got mine (1052) about a month ago and the fan is very quiet. Its quieter than my PC fan (standard HP fan) by far.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf