Author Topic: ESI DB-877 Replacement Banna Jack Replacement Source/PartNumber  (Read 3235 times)

Offline rastroTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
ESI DB-877 Replacement Banna Jack Replacement Source/PartNumber
« on: September 30, 2016, 09:39:50 pm »
Looking to replace a broken banana jack/terminal on an ESI DB-877.

I'm really looking for a good quality replacement.  They probably use special alloy for this.  It looks like it has a fairly long screw shaft on it.

I haven't contacted ESI yet.  I suspect it's probably less expensive to locate an alternate source.

-rastro

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
Re: ESI DB-877 Replacement Banna Jack Replacement Source/PartNumber
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 10:16:56 pm »
ESI don't exist anymore. IET Labs have taken up all their old stuff - and they are the type who don't give a straight price but ask you to request a quote. Get involved with salesmen, etc. Which is basically a F.U. in this day and age.

Now if those binding posts are anything like my ESI RV622A then they will be as loose as a whores chuff. I don't know exactly what the specification was instead of 4mm banana but I think it was some kind of old Bell Labs telephone plug standard?  :-// :-//

They are of course gold plated tellurium copper and all that.

If you really want the retro thing then find me some 4mm gold plated tellurium copper with teflon gaskets from, say, Pomona and I will swap them with my old ESI stuff?  :-DD

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:35:23 pm »
Your cheapest option is the pomona 3770-0. I haven't looked up the price of the IET labs binding posts, but I would guess they are not cheap.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 03:44:05 am »
Thanks for the quick responses.

I did see a part on the IET site costing $69.00 ouch!!
http://www.ietlabs.com/binding-posts-bp-1000.html
The insulators dimensions looks the same but not in white (probably interchangeable with the current insulators).  The total length on the new IET part is 2" verses 1.75" on the unit.  The price is clearly the show stopper. :--

The pomona 3770-0, as Vgkid suggests, is a pretty good choice.  :-+  It uses the same Polycarbonate insulation and the magical coveted 'Tellurium Copper'.  For $10.50 I'm pretty sure I can work around any minor dimensional issues.

-rastro

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 04:27:46 am »
I will admit I'm perplexed how the jack broke that way. From the side pic, it looks pretty smooth.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 01:58:09 pm »
Vgkid,

It's the angle of the picture.  I attached a better picture that  shows a rough break along the thread recess. 

I found a better fitting replacement while searching through digikey/mouser.  The Keystone 7016/17 post looks like a drop in replacement.  The differences are: Nylon insulator, Hex instead of knurled Head, and gold plated brass.  I'm also hoping I can pop the post out and use the original head and insulators.

For my purposes I'm not sure if the 'Tellurium Copper' is going to make a meaningful difference as opposed to gold plated brass.   :-\

-rastro

Offline ManateeMafia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 02:16:05 pm »
You can also buy Fluke binding posts for some of their test gear like the 5725A. The parts are available at Newark

http://www.newark.com/fluke/886382/binding-post-5way-red/dp/55K4854

http://www.newark.com/fluke/886379/binding-post-5way-black/dp/66K7149

The description says they are brass but they are actually tellurium copper. However, these are not gold plated.

They do not come with any other hardware, just what you see in the photos. They are designed to fit into a plastic panel and do not have the normal spacers you would get with other binding posts.

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 12:21:36 am »
Mounting insert (placed in D hole in panel) on the IET Labs posts are 0.5" Dia, with D size of 0.469"
Mounting insert on the Keystone 7016 is about the same (same DIA but D size is 0.468")
Mounting insert on the 3770 is 0.375" DIA with D size of 0.350"

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 01:45:19 pm »
dacman,

It seems the Keystone 7016 is a better fit than the Pomona 3770. 

I'll go with the Keystone 7016 and probably replace both resistance binding posts so they match up.  I can't see where the gold plated tellurium copper in the IET or Pomona terminals make a meaningful difference over the gold plated brass of the Keystone.

-rastro

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 12:35:35 am »
Final fix using Keystone 4109 Test Plugs & Test Jacks BINDING POST; Mouser Part #: 534-4109
So I decided to replace the 2 active binding posts to keep them the same. 
This is almost an exact fit for the DB-877 cutout.  I did have to cut a flat on each of the binding post nylon insulator.  The DB-877 is a "D" style cutout and the Keystone was round.  However the circumference on both was same size. 

Also checked the measurements with Keithley 2000 and all individual resistance values measured under 0.05%. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf