Author Topic: Rigol DS1102Z-E vs DS1202Z-E  (Read 1895 times)

Offline SummerfordTopic starter

Rigol DS1102Z-E vs DS1202Z-E
« on: December 31, 2022, 06:30:34 pm »
Hi everyone,

(my first post here)

I am shopping for an entry level scope and I narrowed it down to the Rigol DS1102Z-E.

This model will surely do for my current interests (vintage radio restoration and occasional electronics repair) but I am tempted to go for the 200Mhz version, the DS1202Z-E, in case I need the extra bandwidth on future projects. The difference is just 60 EUR on Amazon. Any advice on this?

I have a second question. Looking at the specs of the two scopes (here https://www.rigol.eu/Public/Uploads/uploadfile/files/20221124/20221124215236_637f77244604d.pdf) the two models only differ in the "Bandwidth (-3 dB)" and  "Calculated Rise Time", as one may expect. But both models have 1 GSa/s sampling rate.  This suggests that also the lower model should be capable of handling 200Mhz bandwidth and maybe the functionality is downgraded by software.

Has anyone compared the hardware of the two scopes and found visible differences? If not - is there an available hack that can unlock the 200Mhz bandwidth on the DS1102Z-E?

Thx in advance

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1102Z-E vs DS1202Z-E
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 07:47:14 pm »
Hi, personally i wanna buy my 1st oscilloscope also, so i target the DS1202Z-E.
Whatever you bought, please share a feedback :)
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Offline PatrickB

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:12:54 pm »
Hello,
I bought the DS1102Z-E in September 2021.
2 weeks after receiving it, I noticed trace brightness problems with the timebase at 5ns.
Other users found operating bugs. Rigol Germany and Rigol in China have NEVER responded to my emails complaining about the defaults of my scope.
In December 2022, the 2 traces flashed unexpectedly. So I sent this scope back to Rigol in Germany asking for a refund and I bought a Siglent scope.
You can see posts mentioning these defaults in this forum.
Apart from these problems encountered with the DS1102Z-E, if we close your eyes to these defects and bugs (that will never be resolved), it is a cheap scope that does part of the job.
Good luck.

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 01:34:18 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply!
I re-analyzed yesterday my needs and finally go for 4ch scope. Actually between siglent & rigol models and your review is very helpful as an experience w/ new rigols. I will check for messages also.
Thank you a lot!
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Offline simba15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 02:03:28 pm »
I would try the Siglent route, Check the Buy/Sell for the recent amazon deals.

Offline PatrickB

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 02:38:20 pm »
Hi nikitasius,

I replaced my Rigol DS1102Z-E with a Siglent SDS1204X-E. It is more expensive but you have to know what you want. The performances are clearly superior and above all, for me, the comfort of use.
The small defect, nothing is perfect, is that the fan is noisy compared to the Rigol.

The lesson I learned with my problems on my DS1102Z-E and with my official Rigol seller did not answer my emails, is that it is better to have the brand's official distributor not too far from home in order to bring the device there in case of problem or to have it on the phone easily.
This security certainly has a cost compared to a purchase on Amazon or others.

If you plan to buy a scope, you can get a 5% discount at Jeulin, specifying that you come from the Cyrob site (http://www.cyrob.org/).
If you want more information send me a PM.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf