Author Topic: Rigol DS1104Z Plus unlock?  (Read 14738 times)

Offline cw_cdzTopic starter

Rigol DS1104Z Plus unlock?
« on: July 08, 2017, 06:26:09 am »
I've been scanning through the forumn and having a hard time locating if this is still a thing? I found this site: http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/ and I am running firmware 00.04.04.SP1. I have not yet tried entering a code (seems there coudl be a lockout) and I'm unsure if I really NEED to update the firmware on this model. Most of the models I seem to have found "hacks" for are for the 1054Z upt to the 1104Z. Any info would be much appreciated.

Offline CharlieWorton

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1104Z Plus unlock?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:35:17 am »
Not sure which scope you have.  The link you provided will - I believe - unlock the embedded features in a Rigol 1054Z scope and effectively turn it into an 1104Z.  But firmware updates - as opposed to the above hack, which is not a firmware update - are obtained from the Rigol website.  Rigol generally ships their scopes with the latest version of the firmware, so unless you've had your scope for a while you probably don't need to update it (although it never hurts to check).

The link you provided will only interact with a Rigol 1054Z scope.  If you have a different scope, then the link would not be applicable to you.

>Charlie

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 05:54:32 pm »
CharlieWorton is close, but not quite correct. The key generator you linked to will work nicely with all DS1000Z series scopes (i.e. DS1054Z, DS1074Z, DS1104Z). For these, this simple hack certainly is "still a thing".

However, the DS1000Z Plus series is a close relative of the MSO1000Z series. And for those scopes, the simple key generator hack has never worked. There is a significantly more complex approach which achieves the same for these scopes. Some threads on this forum discuss this -- not sure whether these are the latest and simplest instructions:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/you-can%27t-unlock-a-mso1000z-series-scope-without-a-memory-dump-and-other-lessons/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus/msg569236/#msg569236

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 11:27:02 am »
Not sure which scope you have.

The clue is in the title: "DS1104Z Plus"  :popcorn:

Offline LuckyMan

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:30:48 am »
Hello, I was reading a lot over here, lot of people is writing about 1054 unlock, but nobody is writing how to lock it back. It is possible?
After unlocking, your warranty is gone, so there is someone, who succesfully locked back his 1054Z ?

If not I think is nonsense unlocking it.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 11:59:17 am »
Hello, I was reading a lot over here, lot of people is writing about 1054 unlock, but nobody is writing how to lock it back.

It's been mentioned many times (but not as often as unlocking, for obvious reasons).

It is possible?

Yes. Look for "uninst" in the programming manual.

Don't worry, it's easy.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:02:47 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: LuckyMan

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 05:52:00 pm »
After unlocking, your warranty is gone, so there is someone, who succesfully locked back his 1054Z ?

My warranty was gone the moment I decided I wanted a quieter fan and detents in the selection rotary encoder.

Given that, I just went ahead with the rest of the upgrades.  The features I wanted, the specific reasons for buying the scope given that I have a 350 MHz Tek 485, would require a bit of a hack.

I had read nothing re: infant mortality so I had no reason for concern about warranty repair.  I don't remember the actual purchase date but I suspect my warranty is just about up.  If I had one...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 07:04:06 pm »
I had read nothing re: infant mortality so I had no reason for concern about warranty repair.

There's been very few complaints about reliability here, if any. There's been a few units with a bad channel when new but long term reliability doesn't seem to be a problem.

They're solidly built and the tight integration on the main board should make the electronics very reliable. The weak point might be the power supply but I don't remember reading about power supply problems even after 2.5 years.

Whatever else you might have to say about the DS1054Z, the hardware gets a thumbs up!  :-+

Offline Jacon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 02:38:02 pm »

My warranty was gone the moment I decided I wanted a quieter fan and detents in the selection rotary encoder.

Given that, I just went ahead with the rest of the upgrades.  The features I wanted, the specific reasons for buying the scope given that I have a 350 MHz Tek 485, would require a bit of a hack.

I had read nothing re: infant mortality so I had no reason for concern about warranty repair.  I don't remember the actual purchase date but I suspect my warranty is just about up.  If I had one...
+100  :clap:

Offline LuckyMan

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 06:43:48 pm »
Thank You. Let me write here for other beginners how to lock back device, and get back to Trial options:

- Connect with USB your device to your computer.
- Start on your computer Ultra Sigma software, right click on your device, choose SCPI Panel control
- In the field SCPI Command type exactly what is here:    :SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall
- Click Send Command
- Done. Trial versions are back  :-+

Do not hack devices  :horse:. Someone was working hard to make it. Respect they job and others will respect yours  :-+

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 06:50:26 pm »
- Connect with USB your device to your computer.
- Start on your computer Ultra Sigma software, right click on your device, choose SCPI Panel control

Ultra Sigma?? Ewwwwww!  :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Save yourself 500Mb of disk space and a horrible experience: Connect an Ethernet cable then telnet to port 5555 on the Rigol.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf