Author Topic: Rigol DS1202Z-E entry level scope (200MHz, 2 channel)  (Read 49959 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Rigol DS1202Z-E entry level scope (200MHz, 2 channel)
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2020, 10:54:39 am »
Reg, this thread may be of interest to you:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/show-us-your-square-wave/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2020, 02:28:31 pm »
I have gotten *very* annoyed by the 5% overshoot on my Instek MSO2204EA.  So I asked Rigol for a step response from the DS1202Z-E.  The *next* day I got this:

(Attachment Link)

I immediately ordered one.  I made a similar request to Tektronix in late April, but still have no step response on a 3 series.  I bought a Keysight MSOX3104T but returned it when it had a 7% overshoot.  An RTM3104 demo arrived with 3% overshoot but completely useless FFT.   The sales guy suggested a FW update which resulted in a 10% overshoot.  Restoring the original FW version did not correct that.  And R&S doesn't want to talk about it.

A *very* good old school Tek analog step response from a DSO for $300 was a complete no brainer.

Methinks Rigol will eat someone else's lunch soon.

Once it arrives I'll do a head to head of the Instek MSO2204EA, Rigol DS1202Z-E and an Owon XDS-2102A.

Reg
Are you comparing apples to apples?  Same source and same probe?  The Rigol picture you received for sure is not using your setup from your lab

Online rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2020, 07:18:46 pm »
You do *not* measure the step response with a probe.  You do it with a 50 ohm source with a 50 ohm thru termination if the scope doesn't have a 50 ohm input.

The first thing I am going to do when it arrives is put one of my <40 ps rise time pulsers on it and verify the step response.  If it is not a reasonable match to the figure it will go back in the box and returned.  I asked simply to avoid going through the return process for something which would not be acceptable.

Leo Bodnar's fast edge pulsers are *very* good.  They come with a plot of the individual unit measured with a Tek CSA803A and 40 GHz SD-30 sampling head.  I've also got a 1 GHz Tek 7104 to testify to the quality of the step.  And a 350 MHz Tek 495 and 11801 with a 20 GHz SD-26 sampling head to check that.

I should note that the step response on my DS1102E is almost identical, just not as fast.  So I have good reason to expect it's a valid example of the Rigol step response standards.  I cannot understand why anyone would accept 7% overshoot on a $20K MSRP DSO.

Have Fun!
Reg

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2020, 09:15:01 am »
The first thing I am going to do when it arrives is put one of my <40 ps rise time pulsers on it and verify the step response.  If it is not a reasonable match to the figure it will go back in the box and returned.  I asked simply to avoid going through the return process for something which would not be acceptable.

Post your results here...

An ordinary "100Mhz" Rigol DS1054Z can show a 1.6ns rise time with the right cables/pulse generator (see image) so I can't imagine any worrying is warranted. The DS1202Z-E will be a 200Mhz 'scope. And probably a little bit more.

nb. That's the 12th image in this post:  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds1054z-oscilloscope/msg1818215/#msg1818215

Online rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2020, 08:50:33 pm »
There's something fishy about a 1.6 ns rise time on a 100 MHz scope.  I suspect that the timebase setting is too slow for the rise time to be accurately measured.  What was the signal source and means of connection?

In looking at the thread around your link it's clear that a lot of people don't understand the math.

Brick wall (boxcar in some circles) filters *always* ring.  The Fourier transform of a boxcar is sinc(t).  Contrary to what many seem to think,  overshoot is *not* Gibbs phenomenum.  That applies to creating a sinc(f) in the frequency domain and taking the Fourier transform to get a boxcar in time.  Or creating a function consisting of a DC spike in the real part and a Hilbert operator in the imaginary part.   The mathematics are completely different.

To preclude ringing the anti-alias filter must roll of in a long ramp.  A good rule of thumb is a corner frequency which is 1/2 of Nyquist.  That's an 8 pole filter to be 48 dB down at Nyquist.  An 8 pole analog filter is problematic to build because of component tolerances, however, once the signal has been digitized, the FPGA can apply a Wiener filter to correct the errors in the response with coefficients determined on a per unit basis on the production line.

If the ramp is as wide as the flat part of the passband, then  the time domain response is sinc(t)**2 and the sidelobes die off very quickly.  If the ramp is narrower then the response is the product of a pair of sinc(t) functions.  The narrower the ramp the more amplitude in the side lobes as that sinc(t) term is wider than the flat section sinc(t).

Moreover, using a symmetric, zero phase sinc interpolator on a scope is *wrong*  That is what produces the spurious precursor ringing.  The correct filter is a minimum phase sinc interpolator.  However, that also requires N separate multiplies whereas a zero phase FIR filter can eliminate (N-1)/2 multiplies.  I don't know if the use of the wrong interpolator is ignorance or cost cutting.  But in any case it results in a display which does not accurately portray the input signal.

I have a friend who has a hacked DS1054Z and one of Leo's pulsers.  So I'll setup a direct comparison of the DS1202E, hacked DS1054Z and the DS1202Z-E alongside an Instek MSO2204EA and an Owon XDS-2102A.  and if I can find the screen dump, a Keysight MSOX3104T.  7% overshoot on a $20K MSRP DSO is pretty depressing.  And changing the rise time calculation on the datasheet from 0.35/BW to 0.45/BW going from 500 MHz to 1 GHz in the same model line is *really* depressing.

Have Fun!
Reg

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2020, 12:39:56 am »
There's something fishy about a 1.6 ns rise time on a 100 MHz scope.

It's well known that the Rigol DS1154Z (ie. a hacked DS1054Z) has over 100Mhz measured bandwidth.

My manual says the calculated rise time for a DS1104Z is 3.5ns so TurboTom's result is half that, ie 200MHz. Maybe he won the lottery with his particular 'scope but he claimed it does that on all 4 channels.

I suspect that the timebase setting is too slow for the rise time to be accurately measured.

Possibly. All measurements are don';t using on-screen data and that's as low as the timebase goes.

What was the signal source and means of connection?

TT's post has the details.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds1054z-oscilloscope/msg1818215/#msg1818215

Brick wall (boxcar in some circles) filters *always* ring.  The Fourier transform of a boxcar is sinc(t).  Contrary to what many seem to think,  overshoot is *not* Gibbs phenomenum.

If there's "ringing" before the signal starts to rise then there's Gibbs present, the only other explanation is that your 'scope is psychic and can predict the future.

A similar amount of Gibbs will be present after the rise where the real ringing happens. That's why it's useful to measure the 'Pre', as shown in the screenshot.

You can see the spacing between the samples relative to the signal in the shot TT posted after that:

I have a friend who has a hacked DS1054Z and one of Leo's pulsers.  So I'll setup a direct comparison of the DS1202E, hacked DS1054Z and the DS1202Z-E alongside an Instek MSO2204EA and an Owon XDS-2102A.  and if I can find the screen dump, a Keysight MSOX3104T.

:-+
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 12:54:22 am by Fungus »

Online rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2020, 03:13:49 am »

Brick wall (boxcar in some circles) filters *always* ring.  The Fourier transform of a boxcar is sinc(t).  Contrary to what many seem to think,  overshoot is *not* Gibbs phenomenum.

If there's "ringing" before the signal starts to rise then there's Gibbs present, the only other explanation is that your 'scope is psychic and can predict the future.

A similar amount of Gibbs will be present after the rise where the real ringing happens. That's why it's useful to measure the 'Pre', as shown in the screenshot.

You can see the spacing between the samples relative to the signal in the shot TT posted after that:

My DS1102E has a 2ns/div setting, so I question whether the example above at 5 ns/div is at the limit of the timebase.  As I said, there is something fishy about it.

As I stated previously, precursor ringing  has *nothing* to do with Gibb's phenomenum.  It is an artifact of using a symmetric, zero phase interpolator.  Gibb's phenomenum is an artifact of creating a waveform in the frequency domain and transforming to time.  And it was shown by Gibb's before the appearance of discretely sampled signals.

DSOs acquire data in the time domain.  So there is *no* transform from frequency to time.  The ADC cannot *measure* a precursor to a step because in a physical system it does not exist.  Which is also why you can't trigger on the precursor peaks.  And why there is no ringing in the sample dots in the 2nd figure.

In dot mode my Instek MSO2204EA has no precursor.  In vector mode it does.  My Owon XDS-2102A has the precursor in both dot and vector mode.

Physical systems are minimum phase. In seismic processing, because a symmetric reflection event is easier to interpret, the data have a signature deconvolution  step applied which transforms the minimum phase response of the recording system to zero phase.  As a consequence, sinc(x) interpolators are zero phase.  However that is *not* appropriate for a physical, causal system.

I'll post a conclusive demonstration when my DS1202Z-E arrives.  In the mean time I strongly suggest you review the mathematics.  It is irrelevant whether you were never taught it or you've forgotten it.  In either case your argument is wrong.  And I have the library and instruments to prove it when the new Rigol arrives.

Have Fun!
Reg

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2020, 04:59:38 am »
My DS1102E has a 2ns/div setting, so I question whether the example above at 5 ns/div is at the limit of the timebase.

It's the limit on a DS1104Z.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:33:45 am by Fungus »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2020, 09:14:50 am »
Navigational Warning

Don't flash the Z-E firmware in the old DS1000Z scope!

Because it seems Rigol made an error and it's possible to flash the 1st released version in the older machine, limiting it to 2 channels.

Offline Fred Basset

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2020, 08:02:47 pm »
I sure owe you all a great deal.  I have been reading the forums and watching all the videos for about a week now, trying to decide between this and the '54.  Despite what Dave said about just get the DS1054Z-E, for me I think I am likely to get more out of the extra bandwidth than an extra 2 channels.  The problem was that it was a VERY close call for me.  I had to keep leaving it overnight while I thought about it, even then it did not help that much.  So today I pulled the trigger (so to speak) and bought the 1202 finally.  Now I am actually excited to get my paws on it!  Until now I have been making do with a scope that cost many times more, but back in the 60s.  It is a Telequipment DM53A mainframe with dual beams.  Both amplifiers are the best that was made for it, as was the timebase.  It is valve, weighs over 55lbs and has a bandwidth of 25MHz.  It has been in storage for years as life got in the way of me getting a new scope.  So today is another one off my bucket list thankfully.

The people at TEquipment are wonderful.  They even have a tax-free sale running at the moment, which is what made me decide to get it today, rather than put it off another month again.  It is also why I bought it direct from them, rather than through Amazon as I normally do.  They even answered my questions with more patience than one ought to expect...

I have another good reason to be thankful for this board - Who else would listen to me being excited over an oscilloscope???

Online rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2020, 12:35:13 am »
I bought mine direct from Rigol.  Got a call while fixing supper to confirm zip code.

Based on my DS1102E experience , I suspect the DS1202Z-E will replace the Instek MSO2204EA as my daily driver.

When I bought my DS1102E, Rigol's support was not very impressive.  But they seem to have figured out that customer service is everything and have improved it tremendously.

Very interested to hear what your reaction is.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2020, 12:40:51 am »
I have another good reason to be thankful for this board - Who else would listen to me being excited over an oscilloscope???
You're in good company, my friend. I promise you don't get more excited than me over a new scope. Just ask my wife... oscilloscopes are a running joke in our marriage.

In fact, it started when we were dating in high school. You can probably relate to this story. Her Dad made the mistake of asking me (in high school!) what I liked to do, and what career I thought I'd pursue. Next visit I carried my Philips PM3214 scope and a dynamic microphone along and set it up on their dining room table. I didn't figure they would care about what you actually use a scope for, but they might appreciate the concept of seeing their voice on the screen with the sort of immediate visual feedback it represented. I hooked up everything and her Dad strolled in. I gave him the 15 second explanation and then started saying "check check check" into the microphone, with my voice faithfully appearing on the screen. I turned expecting to see, if not understanding, at least appreciation.

His response: "I can say 'check check check' without all that stuff." And he left the room.

I got the last laugh, though. Years later, I convinced my wife's Mom to invest in a startup I was working for. The Dad told her to "kiss your money goodbye" as he had zero faith it would amount to anything. She suited action to words and literally kissed the check, leaving lipstick. Within a couple of years they started getting dividends on their stock, which well exceeded their initial investment. I waited for a while, then asked him about it. His reply: "You two are the only ones of our children that haven't continued to cost us money. It feels strange... we're actually making money from you." One of the best compliments I've ever received. He's gone now, but my wife's Mom later told us that every time a dividend check appeared in the mail, he'd just stare at it and shake his head.

Never underestimate the power of an oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan, tv84, RoGeorge, jemangedeslolos, duckduck

Online rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2020, 12:59:09 am »
LoL!

Thanks for sharing that story.

The hobby machinists go through the same thing.  Why would you want a lathe or mill?

Many people think old cars are cool.  But making parts for them boring.

Go figure.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline Fred Basset

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2020, 02:21:12 pm »
Well, another day closer to my scope! Me...Clock-watching???  You bet I am!

I am in the doghouse now anyway.  We are going to be a bit short of food until tomorrow.  Do you need three guesses who got so carried away with a scope, that he completely forgot to place an order for food?  Oops.

IDEngineer, that is a wonderful story.  When I was 11 my school had an open day where parents came along.  In the physics lab I spotted my first ever real oscilloscope.  All the others were on TV.  Yes, it was the same thing, a microphone plugged into it.  Ratty old thing it was really, the wire for the microphone had broken at the connector and everything was held together by black insulating tape.

I never thought about this before, but watching all of those "Open University" programmes in Britain as a child must have had some effect on me, because I remember looking at all of those thin green lines on the screen and wondering how the scope decided to put them there?  What I was seeing was lots of overlayed green lines and wondering if each one was the outer edge of some frequency band or something like that?  What I failed to appreciate was that I was seeing the outer envelope of my whole voice, but because it was free-running and not triggering off a repeating part of the signal, it just kept writing green lines over each other making it look like many traces.

When I first got into electronics, I think a roughly comparable scope to this was over ten grand?  Might have had more bandwidth, but did not have all the functions like math.  It is staggering how much you get now for the money.  These scopes seem to be at the top of the sweet spot?  Because even small improvements from this level seem to cost you ever larger chunks of money.

I remember an article about an HP oscilloscope with an unimaginable price tag (about $250,000 in the 80s I think), but what got everyone's attention was that people were questioning that it seemed to be being shown displaying a signal that was faster than light.  They had to explain that the "x5" was on, and that it was not breaking any laws.   What I took away from that was that we now had scopes that can measure to a significant part of C.  Even now I find that staggering.

My old DM53 had the mounts for a Polaroid camera on it!  Never did get the camera as the film was no longer being made as far as I knew.  Even so, the phosphor was pretty impressive at being able to hold a signal for about 40 minutes.

Rhb, mechanical engineering is something I love also.  Sadly now I live in an apartment, so my forge, lathe and anvil had to go.  I miss 'em.

Online rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2020, 03:25:17 pm »
You should get a Chinese 7" x 14" mini-lathe.  That's apartment friendly.  Just be aware it's really a kit which was assembled at the factory to make sure they didn't leave anything out.  They have to be stripped, cleaned and scraped if you want good performance.

I bought one which UPS dropped 3-4 times and smashed up pretty badly.  Spanked the spindle bearings which I've yet to get replacements for.  Plan is to scrape it to 0.0001" for use as an instrument maker's lathe.  I boxed it up for the time being as I need to instill some order around my house and shop.

There are a couple of nice milling tables for the mini-lathe, so if you go the  full Brit model engineer route you can have a complete machine shop in a closet or small desk.  Or mount it on an old sewing machine table.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline Fred Basset

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2020, 03:20:38 pm »
Oh Reg!  Now is not the time to be telling me this, I have just bought my new oscilloscope and I need a signal generator and more parts and leads in July hopefully.

Too late, I am now thinking of the lathe/miller and pretty much everything else I could get like that.  I had no idea the Chinese mini lathes could be scraped to make them that good - I had always dismissed the idea as still not apartment friendly and not very accurate.  Maybe later this year I might be able to look into setting up a "machine cupboard"  Thank you Reg, I really like the idea of that.

I can't imagine getting one only to find it so badly damaged by the carrier.  That must have felt really bad.

Online rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2020, 04:52:18 pm »
Scraping it true to 0.0001" is not trivial.  It will be a serious education in metrology if you've not done something like that.  Things warp from touching them.  I also plan to replace the the spindle ball bearings with taper journal bearings.  I'm doing it as much for the education as to have the machine.  I've got a Clausing 4902 10" x 20" lathe and an 8520 6" x 24" mill  in a 1530 sq ft shop which is utter chaos and barely usable as a result.  Too much stuff.

I got the idea from reading a Scientific American article an amateur who made the screws for John Strong's ruling engine in the late 40's.  He scraped an old 13" Southbend to a tenth so he could rough out screws with lead errors of a millionth after lapping.

There are of course, the Sherline products.  A bit smaller, but much more accurate from the factory.

A thrift store TV armoire for large CRT TVs would make a very nice living room friendly shop.  With a bit of thought you could have an electronics lab and a machine shop in one.  And be able to pack it all away for visitors in a few minutes.

I've seen some very clever portable machine shop setups that were made by people whose work required a lot of travel.  So they built a shop they could use in a hotel room.

I think my timing was impeccable.  If I'd mentioned it earlier you might not have bought the scope ;-)

I hate to say it, but the F***Tech 60 MHz AWGs are probably your best bet for a signal generator.  At low output levels they are very clean.  My V 3.0 FY6600 borked itself.  After many months I got a replacement front panel with V 3.1 (already out of date when I got it) which then proceeded to bork itself.  I bought a Keysight 33622A ($$$!).  It's really fine, but seriously expensive.

Have Fun!
Reg
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 04:54:53 pm by rhb »

The following users thanked this post: Fred Basset

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2020, 05:20:16 pm »
I've seen some very clever portable machine shop setups that were made by people whose work required a lot of travel.  So they built a shop they could use in a hotel room.
That's impressive - a portable machine shop. I have a similar setup for MCU development that I can carry with me and to development/debugging in a hotel room (or even on a boat in the middle of water - yes, that's happened!). A little portable scope, meter, laptop, debugger, home-brew variable power supply, etc. It all fits in a backpack. Sort of "Have mini-lab, will travel."

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2020, 05:22:12 pm »
In the physics lab I spotted my first ever real oscilloscope.  Yes, it was the same thing, a microphone plugged into it.
That must be the default demo for scopes. I certainly figured it was the easiest, most personal and direct way to see how you were interacting with what was on the screen. My father-in-law wasn't all that impressed, but I've repeated that demo many times and most people play games with their voice to change the appearance of the display. Listening to their voices contort around is entertaining all by itself!

The following users thanked this post: Fred Basset

Online rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2020, 07:51:09 pm »
There was a guy where I worked who traveled a lot to Indonesia from Houston.  He built full rigged ship models on the plane (pre 9/11).  It was a 13 hr flight so he had two full days of building time any time he had to make the trip.

You can fit a tremendous amount of stuff in a small space if you spend the time to think through the various issues.

If I were working as a contract embedded systems designer, I'd have complete portable bench setup in a sort of suitcase arrangement that I could open up, lay down an ESD mat and have all my instruments and stuff ready to use.  Open it to 120 degrees so it would be stable on a table.

Have Fun!
Reg

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2020, 08:57:09 pm »
I'd have complete portable bench setup in a sort of suitcase arrangement that I could open up, lay down an ESD mat and have all my instruments and stuff ready to use.
The challenge these days is TSA with hand tools, and occasionally soldering irons. TSA's specs say tools must be under seven inches long, but you find the occasional self-righteous TSA droid who simply "decides" your hex driver set "looks too dangerous", or your stainless tweezers are "too sharp", or whatever. Those are actual events that have happened to me. I now ship my hand tools in checked luggage, but carry the expensive tools with me in the cabin. That's often the ONLY reason I have to check a bag at all... so my hand tools don't have to go through TSA.

The soldering irons are nuts too. Since many planes now have AC power available (for USB chargers and the like), they're convinced you're going to fire up your soldering iron. I also had one question my hot air desoldering tool. The supervisor absolutely wasn't going to allow it with me. Finally I asked if they allowed women to carry their hair dryers on board... *she* dropped the subject at that point.  8)

Not related to portable labs, but: The most interesting TSA incident I've had so far was when I was carrying some samples of potted electronics modules with me to a customer. They hit the scanner and the droid immediately called out "SUPERVISOR!!!" in a loud, semi-panicked voice. My bag came out of the scanner, the supervisor picked it up and looked around for its owner, and since I had my hand in the air he walked me and my bag to the even-more-intimate probing station. He went through everything, carefully, and then said I was OK. Naturally I asked what had attracted all the attention, and he said that the modules registered the same as C4 explosive on their equipment (!!!). Mind you, this was black polypropylene with two-part potting epoxy. Absolutely nothing exotic about any of it. Yet the machine interpreted it as C4 and triggered the sub-droid. Once they actually used human eyeballs it was obviously benign but it certainly livened things up in the security area that day.

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2020, 09:31:18 pm »
Continuing off-topic:

Traveling to San Francisco for work where the server room was wired for 240 V AC only. I found out only days out from the deployment that a vendor's widget was 110 V AC only so I brought with me a 220 to 110 autotransformer in my carry-on backpack. "This your bag?" TSA asked me and then "What is that thing?". They let me on my way but I was not surprised to get a question on it.

EDIT:

Back on topic:

Enjoying my new DS1202Z-E. I see that  firmware 00.06.02.00.01 is out. I'll have to give it a shot.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:35:47 pm by duckduck »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2020, 12:04:09 am »
Enjoying my new DS1202Z-E. I see that  firmware 00.06.02.00.01 is out. I'll have to give it a shot.

Are they updating firmware? Whats the changelog? Weird that they wouldn't update the DS1054Z too.

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2020, 04:15:35 pm »

Are they updating firmware? Whats the changelog? Weird that they wouldn't update the DS1054Z too.

More info (I'm in the USA, so sharing the US-based site): https://www.rigolna.com/firmware/

EDIT:

Have you read the thread previously?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1202z-e-entry-level-scope-(200mhz-2-channel)/msg3070994/#msg3070994

Apparently not.  :-[
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:35:21 pm by duckduck »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf