Author Topic: fluke 10 faded digits  (Read 2277 times)

Offline rickselectricalprojects

• Regular Contributor
fluke 10 faded digits
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:50:48 am »
hi everyone!
i know that this is yet another fluke faded display post BUT this is not an 87v. i scored a fluke 10 and 11 multimeter from eBay for $40 and they both work great how ever they are known for having display issues. they dont make the fluke 10 anymore so there are no lcd replacement kits for sale. so my question is is there a simple way to fix this without getting a new screen? also the fluke 11 is very tattered while the fluke 10 was used it still had the plastic wrap on the screen so it wouldn't of had much use.
(PS don't be to harsh because i am only 14 and i dont know everything and sorry for the crappy picture)
thanks!!! :) :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
Re: fluke 10 faded digits
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 12:38:06 pm »
You can try to 'reflow' the flat flex cable if it is soldered to the display.  If the meter uses zebra strips, you can remove the display and clean the contact points with isopropyl alcohol .  Not knowing the meter construction, i am only guessing here.  Hopefully someone with knowledge of the meter will chime up.  Last year I bought a TI-82 calculator at a hamfest with vertical blank lines and I used a common heat gun to heat up the strip attached to the display and applied pressure until the cable/display cooled off.  That eliminated the blank vertical lines.  Good luck with the project.
That which doesn't kill you still requires a co-pay.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 01:01:54 pm »
The Flukes of this type use the zebra strip, like the 87.  For generally faded segments, cleaning the strips, and the PCB contacts will usually solve the problem.  Be very careful - the bonded conductive pads on the glass are VERY fragile.   I'd say if the zebra strip is stuck to the LCD, don't separate them.  Also, don't attempt to clean the LCD contacts.

The common display problem with these is black blobs.   They start small, and get larger.  Sometimes the small blobs don't get larger very fast, sometimes they do. 

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:37:59 pm »
Excavatoree forgot to mention that you can modify the 10 and 11 into a 12.  See (near the bottom)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fluke-25-my-first-digital-multimeter/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf