Author Topic: Rigol DS2072 Lock-Ups from Network Interface  (Read 26535 times)

Offline motocoderTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
Rigol DS2072 Lock-Ups from Network Interface
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:27:24 pm »
Changing the thread title now that the issue has been determined not to be specific to my scope. The issue seems to be a bug in many Rigol models, and is triggered when the scopes network interface is connected.

Starting this thread to document my support experience with Rigol, so that others who are considering a purchase from them can know what sort of support they provide (good or bad).

My DS2072 has been locking up since I got it a little more than a year ago, but lately the problem was so severe that the scope was pretty much unusable.

Where things are at right now: I contacted Rigol via Tequipment.net, after a few emails discussing what I had already done to troubleshoot things, they gave me an RMA number and an address in Oregon to ship the unit (at my expense). They should have received the scope this Monday, so I assume it's in their repair pipeline now.

So far the experience has been a good one. We'll see how long the repair takes.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:54:57 pm by motocoder »

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
Re: Rigol DS2072 RMA-ed to Rigol for repair
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:26:08 pm »
In my experience it took 8 weeks and then one day it showed up my doorstep via DHL. No tracking, notification
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:34:42 pm »
In my experience it took 8 weeks and then one day it showed up my doorstep via DHL. No tracking, notification

Wow, that's depressing, but thank you for letting me know. I've got a project on hold right now due to no scope, so I suppose I'll have to see if I can find one at work to borrow for a day.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:02:29 pm by motocoder »

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 04:07:20 pm »
I discovered that their warranty policy says thry will provide a loaner if the repair will take more than 10 business days. I emailed the Rigol rep about that last week. So far he has not responded, but will give him another day or two before escalating.

Offline tequipment

• Regular Contributor
    • TEquipment
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 05:41:18 pm »
Any issues message me.  I will make sure its a fast turn around.
Evan

VP and Co-founder
TEquipment.NET

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 06:00:56 pm »
Status update:

I've been dealing with Steve Huss from Rigol. They have had my scope since October 27th, approximately 17 calendar days and 13 business days. The last update I got was that they were still trying to reproduce the lock-up problem (which I was seeing approximately every couple of minutes) before sending the scope off for repair.

Evan from TEquipment.net was nice enough to contact Rigol last Friday (Nov-7), and it did appear that things were moving (at least they were responding to my emails) for the rest of the day on Friday. On Friday Steve asked if the scope was connected to anything (network, USB), as a possible clue as to how to reproduce the problem. I told him it was connected to a network switch, and he said he was going to connect it to their network and leave it running over the weekend to see if it locked up. He also told me "it is possible to get a loaner. We can look into that on Monday".

However, since that time, I have received no updates from Steve and he isn't responding to my emails.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 12:39:36 am »
Ok, I've held off posting for quite some time, because I was working with Rigol while they tried to troubleshoot the issue. It's been slow going, but there is some progress.

Rigol has now had my oscilloscope in their hands for 3.5 weeks. After a little more than 2 weeks, they told me they were finally able to repro the lock-up problem (for me, it was happening very frequently). They only saw the problem after connecting the scope to a network, so their theory was that the problem was related to this. However, they were not able to repro the problem a second time. They came up with this theory that the problem was somehow triggered by my network.

After some discussion about the Rigol guys coming up to my house (they are in Oregon) to troubleshoot, they decided instead to send me another unit to test. They said if the problem did not repro with this unit, we could discuss a swap, and if it did repro, we could discuss further troubleshooting.

So today the unit arrives. It's a demo unit that has physical damage, is hardware version 1.0 (mine is/was 2.0), and has the anti-tampering sticker on the bottom broken. So regardless of what happens with the troubleshooting, I am not going to be keeping this one.

So I've plugged it in, and am looking to see if the problem repros.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:15:19 am by motocoder »

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 12:51:42 am »
Mine had a bad PWM on the fan controller.  Nice whine sound.  It was bad out of the box so Tequipment.net just replaced it with no hassle.  I've never dealt directly with Rigol.
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 01:02:23 am »
Mine had a bad PWM on the fan controller.  Nice whine sound.  It was bad out of the box so Tequipment.net just replaced it with no hassle.  I've never dealt directly with Rigol.

TEquipment, in my experience, is great. And I think if it had been within 30 days of purchase, they would have swapped it out no issues. I will gladly do business with them in the future.

BTW - the demo unit has already locked up once. I am thinking maybe there is something on my network here that is triggering it.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 01:08:23 am »
They only saw the problem after connecting the scope to a network, so their theory was that the problem was related to this.

This may be half true, my 2072A locked up today when I was downloading the screen capture to my PC and accidentally unplugged the router power. They better look at their LAN part of the firmware overall.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 01:11:04 am »
They only saw the problem after connecting the scope to a network, so their theory was that the problem was related to this.

This may be half true, my 2072A locked up today when I was downloading the screen capture to my PC and accidentally unplugged the router power. They better look at their LAN part of the firmware overall.

They can look at the USB part (on the 1000Z, anyway) which barely works, while they're at it.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 01:13:44 am »

That is good information. I suspect they are monitoring this thread, but I will pass that info along either way.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 01:32:48 am »

I just tried power cycling the network switch. The scope didn't completely lock up, but it started doing all sorts of whacky things like artifacts on the screen, controls not responding as expected, etc.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 01:36:21 am »
I would appreciate it if someone else with a DS2072 or DS2072A (or similar model) could try this experiment:

Plug the scope into a network with a DHCP server so the scope can get an IP address and come up on the network.
Boot the scope and verify it is working correctly.
Power cycle the network switch to which the scope is attached.
Check the controls on the scope - try enabling and disabling Ch1 and Ch2 by pushing the channel buttons.
Note any strange behavior (or not) and post your results to the thread here.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 04:03:25 am »
DS2072A, confirmed intermittent wacky behavior after power cycling the home LAN router. Did test two times, first time the menus gone unresponsive. Second time everything was normal. Mine has a static IP, not DHCP.

Using Wireshark I captured that in first test the 2072A sent two ARP packets before going crazy. Second time it first still sent same two ARP packets but spit out bunch of other packets after that.

So indeed 2072A has problems with LAN.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 04:22:51 am »
DS2072A, confirmed intermittent wacky behavior after power cycling the home LAN router. Did test two times, first time the menus gone unresponsive. Second time everything was normal. Mine has a static IP, not DHCP.

Using Wireshark I captured that in first test the 2072A sent two ARP packets before going crazy. Second time it first still sent same two ARP packets but spit out bunch of other packets after that.

So indeed 2072A has problems with LAN.

Thanks, Bud. This should be easy for their enigineers to repro now.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 05:42:15 am »
Power cycled the switch a dozen or so times. No problem.

Pulled the network cable for a few seconds and replaced it. Your symptoms exactly.

It's not hung though. It looks like part of the UI is running very very slowly. Can adjust the timebase no problem.

After a while it couldn't tell if the LAN was connected or not.

Firmware is within the last 2 releases I'm pretty sure. Web UI reports 00.03.00.SP1

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 06:03:16 am »
Power cycled the switch a dozen or so times. No problem.

Pulled the network cable for a few seconds and replaced it. Your symptoms exactly.

It's not hung though. It looks like part of the UI is running very very slowly. Can adjust the timebase no problem.

After a while it couldn't tell if the LAN was connected or not.

Firmware is within the last 2 releases I'm pretty sure. Web UI reports 00.03.00.SP1

Thanks - after waiting, did it ever come back and act normally, or did you have to restart it?

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 12:59:59 am »
I only had time to muck around for 5 minutes so I didn't wait more than a few. It did not come back. I'll have another fool around for you later.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 02:40:48 am »
I only had time to muck around for 5 minutes so I didn't wait more than a few. It did not come back. I'll have another fool around for you later.

That's probably sufficient. 5 minutes is a pretty long time.

Thanks again - this forum is such a great resource :)

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 02:47:35 am »
Starting this thread to document my support experience with Rigol, so that others who are considering a purchase from them can know what sort of support they provide (good or bad).

My DS2072 has been locking up since I got it a little more than a year ago, but lately the problem was so severe that the scope was pretty much unusable.

Where things are at right now: I contacted Rigol via Tequipment.net, after a few emails discussing what I had already done to troubleshoot things, they gave me an RMA number and an address in Oregon to ship the unit (at my expense). They should have received the scope this Monday, so I assume it's in their repair pipeline now.

Hello Motocoder,

I have a DS2202 for about 8 months now and have experienced in the past a couple of times display freezing and no control response.  I don't have my equipment connected to any network or usb devices attached to my unit.  I don't remember the test state I was in when encountering this strange behavior but will start taking notes.  It has happened to me only about twice now and the only resolve was to power cycle the scope.

Recharged Volt-Nut

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 06:16:10 am »

Hello Motocoder,

I have a DS2202 for about 8 months now and have experienced in the past a couple of times display freezing and no control response.  I don't have my equipment connected to any network or usb devices attached to my unit.  I don't remember the test state I was in when encountering this strange behavior but will start taking notes.  It has happened to me only about twice now and the only resolve was to power cycle the scope.

Yes, please take notes. I've shared this thread with Rigol, ao hopefully this info will help their enigineers.

Online Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 07:05:13 am »
setup dhcp server on your second computer/laptop, connect scope directly to it (crossed cable, no network switches), play with cable/disabling dhcp server
you can also generate arbitrary arp traffic with nping or http://www.netscantools.com/nstpro_arpping.html

this will eliminate your home lan setup/particular switch
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 08:06:42 am »
setup dhcp server on your second computer/laptop, connect scope directly to it (crossed cable, no network switches), play with cable/disabling dhcp server
you can also generate arbitrary arp traffic with nping or http://www.netscantools.com/nstpro_arpping.html

this will eliminate your home lan setup/particular switch

Rigol told me there are known issues with crossover cables, so I think you cant eliminate the switch. Also, you can see from the thread that static IP setup shows issue too, so no need for dhcp server.

Offline Murray

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 03:50:13 pm »
You might want to check the DHCP lease time in your router.   If there is traffic during the last half of the lease, the lease will be renewed. If your lease time is quite low, and you left the scope on and connected but did no network activity for half the lease time, your DHCP lease might expire, and would have to be re-negotiated.  If the scope does not handle the re-negotiation properly, this might be enough, like the other network disturbances that have been tested, to fubar the scope.  If you increase you lease time to  more than twice the longest time you expect to leave the scope on and connected to the net with no network activity, it MIGHT reduce the lockups.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf