Author Topic: Rigol DS2072 Lock-Ups from Network Interface  (Read 26545 times)

Offline motocoderTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
Re: Rigol DS2072 Lock-Ups from Network Interface
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2014, 08:57:03 pm »
  • Rigol does not live up to their written warranty commitments, specifically to provide a loaner or replacement if the repair will take more than 10 days.
I had good RMA service with:
      A prepaid shipping label to Rigol
      Tracked, shipping from Wash.  to  Ohio: Rigol
      36 hours to repair
      Tracking # of the shipment(gnd) back to me.
       I have  No Problem with that service :-+

But I did have to drive to another Country to drop off & pick it up ;D

Interesting. Maybe this is a regression since they relocated to Oregon. Or maybe I was not dealing with the actual Rigol service people? In any event, this will be the last piece of Rigol test equipment I buy. Ever. Scope is going to be up for sale on Monday if you're interested.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2014, 09:38:22 pm »
Oh, and one more thing. The scope went to them with lots of time left on the trial options. It came back with no time left on any of them.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2014, 09:43:04 pm »
Oh, and one more thing. The scope went to them with lots of time left on the trial options. It came back with no time left on any of them.

After a year of owning it? So basically, you never used the DSO.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2014, 09:44:33 pm »

After a year of owning it? So basically, you never used the DSO.

No, in my case it was because I had the Riglol options installed, and when I uninstalled those, it restored whatever time was there before installation. It isn't an issue for me, but my point is, for someone with a new scope, it might be a big deal.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2014, 09:47:17 pm »
No, in my case it was because I had the Riglol options installed, and when I uninstalled those, it restored whatever time was there before installation. It isn't an issue for me, but my point is, for someone with a new scope, it might be a big deal.

Well, perhaps they knew it was a little suspicious that you had time left on the trials after a year. In any case, I didn't have any problem whatsoever getting a new trial code from Rigol when I lost my trial options prematurely.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2014, 09:48:38 pm »

Well, perhaps they knew it was a little suspicious that you had time left on the trials after a year. In any case, I didn't have any problem whatsoever getting a new trial code from Rigol when I lost my trial options prematurely.

Fair enough. I'd like to hear from someone with a recent repair experience, to see if this level of shit service is now the norm, or whether I just got "special" treatment.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2014, 09:57:50 pm »
Fair enough. I'd like to hear from someone with a recent repair experience, to see if this level of shit service is now the norm, or whether I just got "special" treatment.

I got excellent service from the dealer I bought my Rigol scope from. I'm not sure why you would believe you can buy cheap tech from the lowest-cost online dealer, and then expect wonderful service over a year after the purchase date. You generally have to pay more up front - either for more expensive equipment or for after-sales support - and this is true for virtually all technology.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2014, 10:03:12 pm »

I got excellent service from the dealer I bought my Rigol scope from. I'm not sure why you would believe you can buy cheap tech from the lowest-cost online dealer, and then expect wonderful service over a year after the purchase date. You generally have to pay more up front - either for more expensive equipment or for after-sales support - and this is true for virtually all technology.

Because 1) They offer a 3 year warranty and I expect them to live up to it, and 2) they are trying to compete with the big boys. A poor support experience is a factor that people should consider before buying. I spent a significant amount of time helping them troubleshoot this bug, which since I'm selling the scope I really have nothing personal to gain, and no personal stake in this. I'm just trying to put some info out there that may let people make a more informed purchase decision.

But I have to ask, why are you so defensive about this? What's your interest in it?

Also, for anyone that's interested, I just noticed that they updated my scope firmware. I think this might be a new version not publicly available yet: 00.03.02.SP3

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2014, 10:35:04 pm »
Also, for anyone that's interested, I just noticed that they updated my scope firmware.
I think this might be a new version not publicly available yet: 00.03.02.SP3
Interesting.
Will You be testing the new Firmware if it fixes the AC coupled triggering bugs? ( jitter and offset)

I got a E-mail from Rigol NA, to test a new FW for the fixes, but He did not realize in was not released for the DS2000 yet!
Do you have have it now?  !!!

Yes, am happy to do that. Would you review my set-up to make sure I am testing this properly?

• Connect function generator with 1kHz sine wave, 2V peak-to-peak
  • Channel 1 DC coupling
  • AC triggering (Trigger menu, Setting, Coupling = AC

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2014, 10:53:27 pm »
Also, for anyone that's interested, I just noticed that they updated my scope firmware.
I think this might be a new version not publicly available yet: 00.03.02.SP3
Interesting.
Will You be testing the new Firmware if it fixes the AC coupled triggering bugs? ( jitter and offset)

I got a E-mail from Rigol NA, to test a new FW for the fixes, but He did not realize in was not released for the DS2000 yet!
Do you have have it now?  !!!

Yes, am happy to do that. Would you review my set-up to make sure I am testing this properly?

• Connect function generator with 1kHz sine wave, 2V peak-to-peak
  • Channel 1 DC coupling
  • AC triggering (Trigger menu, Setting, Coupling = AC
A Square wave is better, if it has fast risetime.
The  risetime needs to fast to show 20nsec and not be a slope.
trigger level set to 50% (Min + Max)

Well, I don't have a good fast rise time square wave generator here. However, I have it set up like what I see in Dave's video, and I don't see any jitter. Attaching a screenshot.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2014, 10:54:02 pm »
But I have to ask, why are you so defensive about this? What's your interest in it?

I think you have that backwards - I have nothing to defend. I'm just wondering what are the reasonable expectations one can have (in terms of warranty service) given the circumstances (cost of item, length of time since purchase, etc).

Your experience does not sound very good, but I've had a lot of stuff serviced under warranty in the last 30 years - from virtually every kind of manufacturer you can think of - Rigol, HP, Canon, WD, Amazon (Kindle), etc, etc, - and honestly, your experience sounds about middle of the pack.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2014, 11:02:07 pm »

I think you have that backwards - I have nothing to defend. I'm just wondering what are the reasonable expectations one can have (in terms of warranty service) given the circumstances (cost of item, length of time since purchase, etc).

Your experience does not sound very good, but I've had a lot of stuff serviced under warranty in the last 30 years - from virtually every kind of manufacturer you can think of - Rigol, HP, Canon, WD, Amazon (Kindle), etc, etc, - and honestly, your experience sounds about middle of the pack.

I think it's reasonable to expect they live up to the terms in their warranty, and that they provide some reasonable expectation as to turnaround time. I recently sent in a radar detector for service, and the rep told me worst case and typical turnaround times before I sent the unit off. Also, they were clearly avoiding the topic of a loaner unit. They would reply to me, but not answer my question about that. This went on for multiple iterations. Since a loaner unit is clearly spelled out in their written warranty statement, I think it's reasonable to expect they live up to that. Had they provided a loaner unit, I wouldn't have cared if it took them 6 months to fix the issue.

Also, quite frankly, it bothers me that someone else got a 3 day turnaround with tracking numbers and shipping paid both ways. Why were these experiences so different? Should we try and deal with the Ohio service center and avoid these guys in Oregon? That's info that would be useful to have.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2014, 11:35:06 pm »
I think it's reasonable to expect they live up to the terms in their warranty, and that they provide some reasonable expectation as to turnaround time.

I've just read their US warranty - and I'm not quite sure how they didn't live up to the terms. It's certainly nice to have an idea of the turnaround time, but I've not found it to be standard behavior when sending things for repair.

Also, they were clearly avoiding the topic of a loaner unit. They would reply to me, but not answer my question about that. This went on for multiple iterations. Since a loaner unit is clearly spelled out in their written warranty statement, I think it's reasonable to expect they live up to that. Had they provided a loaner unit, I wouldn't have cared if it took them 6 months to fix the issue.

Sorry, but you're misstating what it actually says:

"For service that will exceed this time Rigol will attempt to provide loaner units to be used during the repair cycle. Final availability of loaner units will be at Rigol’s discretion."

If you think that guarantees you a loaner unit, well... you've got a lot of heartache coming in your warranty repair future.  ;)  But I would agree that the Rigol rep(s) should have discussed it with you - even if it was to tell you one wasn't available.

Also, quite frankly, it bothers me that someone else got a 3 day turnaround with tracking numbers and shipping paid both ways. Why were these experiences so different? Should we try and deal with the Ohio service center and avoid these guys in Oregon? That's info that would be useful to have.

Shipping paid both ways is fairly unusual with warranty service - and is certainly not stated in the warranty. But not getting the return tracking number is bizarre (since it certainly had one - nothing worth more than a few bucks is sent without one these days) - that seems like an utter failure of the support staff to relay it to you.

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2014, 11:43:34 pm »
For full disclosure:
I have tried to developed a good relationship with Rigol /support  with reporting clear,concise bugs over the last few years. So yes the prepaid shipping, was asked for and supplied, That was unusual. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:11:32 am by Teneyes »
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2014, 12:00:02 am »
I think it's reasonable to expect they live up to the terms in their warranty, and that they provide some reasonable expectation as to turnaround time.

I've just read their US warranty - and I'm not quite sure how they didn't live up to the terms. It's certainly nice to have an idea of the turnaround time, but I've not found it to be standard behavior when sending things for repair.

Also, they were clearly avoiding the topic of a loaner unit. They would reply to me, but not answer my question about that. This went on for multiple iterations. Since a loaner unit is clearly spelled out in their written warranty statement, I think it's reasonable to expect they live up to that. Had they provided a loaner unit, I wouldn't have cared if it took them 6 months to fix the issue.

Sorry, but you're misstating what it actually says:

"For service that will exceed this time Rigol will attempt to provide loaner units to be used during the repair cycle. Final availability of loaner units will be at Rigol’s discretion."

If you think that guarantees you a loaner unit, well... you've got a lot of heartache coming in your warranty repair future.  ;)  But I would agree that the Rigol rep(s) should have discussed it with you - even if it was to tell you one wasn't available.

Shipping paid both ways is fairly unusual with warranty service - and is certainly not stated in the warranty. But not getting the return tracking number is bizarre (since it certainly had one - nothing worth more than a few bucks is sent without one these days) - that seems like an utter failure of the support staff to relay it to you.

I looked up the warranty before I sent off the unit, and I do not recall any qualifications about the loaner unit. But it is possible that I just missed it. I checked the wayback machine to see if that page was updated recently, but I don't see any changes there in the last 3 months.

I agree about the shipping - but since they sent me a demo unit and asked me to test it on my network, I would have expected them to at least pick up the return shipping cost on that. They could have sent me a return shipping label with the scope. In fairness, they probably would have picked up the cost on that if I had pressed them, but quite frankly, as the "repair" time was approaching 1 month, I was ready to get my scope back and be done with it. Once I determined that this wasn't a defect in my scope, but rather just a bug in their firmware, I really wanted my scope back. After spending several days testing, buying a replacement switch to eliminate that as a source of the issue, etc., I really felt like it was not unreasonable for them to send me my scope back when requested. They were dragging their feet about sending that back, and actually said they were going to keep and do some more testing. I sent the demo unit back to try and force the issue.

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't, but in the interest of full disclosure, please confirm whether or not you work for Rigol.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:10:52 am by motocoder »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2014, 02:11:07 am »
I agree about the shipping - but since they sent me a demo unit and asked me to test it on my network, I would have expected them to at least pick up the return shipping cost on that. They could have sent me a return shipping label with the scope.

Absolutely - I agree fully with you about this. But what was the distinction between a loaner and a demo unit? Was the demo non-functional in some way (or not a DS2000)?

They were dragging their feet about sending that back, and actually said they were going to keep and do some more testing.

That IS odd. I wonder if that service center happened to be without functional DS2000s to continue testing with?

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't, but in the interest of full disclosure, please confirm whether or not you work for Rigol.

No, not at all. I'm plenty critical of Rigol from time to time - especially about their lack of communication, information, and support. I certainly don't think you got good warranty service - I'm just not sure how much it differs with other Chinese equipment manufacturers - as well as a slew of low-cost manufacturers in other tech fields.

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2014, 02:38:35 am »
Absolutely - I agree fully with you about this. But what was the distinction between a loaner and a demo unit? Was the demo non-functional in some way (or not a DS2000)?

The only reason they sent me the loaner was because I agreed to run some tests on it on my network. I am quite positive they would never have sent it otherwise. I would have been fine with the unit they sent had they sent it to me 1.5 weeks earlier. The loaner offer in their warranty statement is complete BS, IMHO.

That IS odd. I wonder if that service center happened to be without functional DS2000s to continue testing with?

Could be. If so, tell me that. The most frustrating aspect of this was sending them an email, and waiting a week or more to hear back. Anyone in the customer service business should know that an easy way to make a customer happier is to spend the extra 30 seconds to communicate status to them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf