Author Topic: Rigol DS4000 freeze at boot up  (Read 389 times)

Offline rudy_sj

Rigol DS4000 freeze at boot up
« on: December 12, 2019, 09:36:30 am »
Hi,
I have a Rigol DS4000 series scope, the DS4024. Had it for a few years and it has been absolutely fine, until now. It locks up on booting and shows only "Rigol" on the screen and a bunch of LED's are lit. Stays like this forever. I have read other places here on this forum about something similar with other models of Rigol scopes and that they are fixing different freeze issues with some clever button pressing. However those procedures doesn't work on my scope.
One thing does respond though, if I press the "Help" button on power up, it doesn't even say "Rigol". The screen is black. The only sign of life now is the "Single" button is lit. Would not surprise me if this scope also had some hidden button pressing magic tics up its sleve.
Anybody having a clue?
I would be very happy.
Rudy

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS4000 freeze at boot up
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 12:17:21 am »
Unplug ethernet or USB if they are in, just in case.

Get the firmware Update .GEL file onto a FAT32 formatted USB key (I recall certain types of keys being better or worse, so you could try FAT as well I suppose).
Plug into scope.
Power on, keep pressing Help see if anything upgrades.
You could try the Single button as well, that is used on the mso5000.

Discussion here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso4000-and-ds4000-tests-bugs-firmware-questions-etc/20/

Offline rudy_sj

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 08:03:31 pm »
It's alive! Thanks thm_w!
However, I don't know exactly how it happened. I had the new firmware on a USB storage plug, tried to press the "Help" key, but same thing i think.
Then I repeatedly pressed the 5. left dark grey key during boot up, and it looked dead, but there was some signs of activity on the USB disc so I left it for a while.
Turned it off and on, and it started!
No clue if the new firmware is in or not. It says 00.02.03.SP2 on the screen, but the firmware read me file say v00.02.01.01 2017/08/15.
Anyway, I'm very happy now!
Rudy

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 11:29:46 pm »
Rudy, I recall one of the .zip files from Rigol jad a bad readme.txt. I used the previous version (mentioned in the file) for quite some time before seeing others report a version newer than mine (the one reported by your scope) :palm:
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf