Author Topic: Rigol DSA815 is it worth to buy  (Read 3069 times)

Offline PsychoBoyTopic starter

• Contributor
Rigol DSA815 is it worth to buy
« on: June 10, 2016, 05:54:13 pm »
Hello, I got presumably simple question, is it worth to buy Rigol DSA815 WITHOUT tracking generator for round about 750 USD? Or is TG actually an essential option and every spectrum analyzer should have one?

Offline bson

• Supporter
Re: Rigol DSA815 is it worth to buy
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 11:24:25 pm »
You need the tracking generator to characterize devices and their response.  You don't need it to look at signals.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 11:30:53 pm »
Hello, I got presumably simple question, is it worth to buy Rigol DSA815 WITHOUT tracking generator for round about 750 USD? Or is TG actually an essential option and every spectrum analyzer should have one?

Personally (I own a DSA815-TG) I wouldn't even consider buying one without the TG. Yea you may not need it now, but come the day you do, you'll regret it.  8)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 01:24:09 am »
There are 815-TGs on ebay for fully 20% off the list price, and you could probably negotiate further because they haven't moved in weeks. If you can afford the few hundred extra I would strongly recommend going for the TG. Otherwise you'll probably wind up swapping it out not too far down the line, and you won't come out ahead.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 10:20:08 am »
OTOH you can do the same with an external RF generator if this is able to do a stepped sweep (most digital controlled ones can do this). Using an RF generator will be slower but an RF generator can be useful for other purposes as well.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 10:33:55 am »
Most people never use the tracking feature in their spectrum analysers. Some rely on the feature most of the time. Which category are you in? If, say, you need the machine exclusively to monitor emissions you'll never need the generator. If you are trying to characterise RF bits and pieces you will probably find it a real boon.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 11:51:48 am »
I have one older HP Spectrum Analyzer without TG and found the need for a TG, so I bought the DSA815 with TG and really like it. Actually I like it so much, I would never consider a SA again, without a TG.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline DG5SAY

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 02:34:14 pm »
Have a look at the SIGLENT SSA3021X (ad the TG of course).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf