Author Topic: Rigol DSA815 Options Question  (Read 5388 times)

Offline KN5GTopic starter

Rigol DSA815 Options Question
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:30:45 pm »
I just picked up a used Rigol DSA815-TG and I am in the process of trying to figure it all out.
Looking at the Options that Rigol offers I am curious about the VSWR Measurement Kit, (DSA800-VSWR) and the VSWR Bridge, VB1020.
I have not been able to find anything that explains what the VSWR Measurement Kit actually does. I assume there is a license, that once purchased, allows the DSA815 to run some additional software and display some additional information.

Can someone shed a little more light on what this option actually allows the 815 to do, and do I really need to consider purchasing it? 

Also the VSWR Bridge can be purchased as a bundle with the VSWR Measurement Kit.
I like the idea of a bridge that mates mechanically to the input and outputs of the DSA815, but I know there are other third party Directional Couplers and Return Loss Bridges out there.

My goal is to use the DSA815 to perform Return Loss Measurements on amateur radio antenna systems, (repeaters) and to tune duplexers/cavities on our local area repeaters. For these goals, is the approximatly $600 for the VSWR Measurement Kit something I really need to purchase, or can I make these kinds of measurements without spending the $600 on the software function license?

Thanks,
Keith
KN5G - Keith

Offline felixh

Re: Rigol DSA815 Options Question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:39:17 pm »
Hi!

I am not really knowledgable about Spectrum analyzers, or what the VSWR kit does.
But i suggest you, to try it out yourself: http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:29:00 pm »
I use the VSWR option to do the measurement with the Mini-Circuits ZFDC-20-5+ Coupler. It is not necessary to buy the original VSWR Bridge. A coupler like the one from Mini-Circuits is sufficient (and cheaper).

Cheers
Hammy

Offline KN5GTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 05:16:22 pm »
So, looking at the screen shot in your post, the VSWR Measurement Option is necessary to be able to display all the calculated information seen on the bottom of the screen in the VSWR Window, is that correct? I think that is what is confusing me. Just trying to understand what it is that I am paying $600 for, since as you mentioned, a Mini-Circuits coupler will allow you to sweep the DUT with the tracking generator and see the resultant trace on the display.

I am assuming then, that the VSWR Measurement Option allows the DSA815 to do all the calculations and display the information in the neat little table layout for each marked frequency point? Otherwise I would have to take the individual data and manually calculate the dB, VSWR and coefficient, etc...

Keith
KN5G - Keith

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:09:07 pm »
I bought a used (only) 1 GHz return loss bridge at <20 EUR, have a RL<->VSWR table ready.
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:41:41 pm »
So, looking at the screen shot in your post, the VSWR Measurement Option is necessary to be able to display all the calculated information seen on the bottom of the screen in the VSWR Window, is that correct?

Right. The calculation is done automatically and some other settings are preset (attenuator), so nothing can go wrong.

I am assuming then, that the VSWR Measurement Option allows the DSA815 to do all the calculations and display the information in the neat little table layout for each marked frequency point? Otherwise I would have to take the individual data and manually calculate the dB, VSWR and coefficient, etc...

Yes, you can mark up to four points with the four markers and the table shows the calculation. It's a nice feature.

There is another thread here in the forum, with the knowledge how to activate the VSWR feature (and other options). You just have to buy a adequate coupler and then you are ready to go.

Cheers
Hammy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf