Author Topic: Rigol equoipment; has anyone heard of a higher failure rate than other brands??  (Read 16784 times)

Offline videobruceTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Before someone blasts me, this isn't meant to discredit Rigol, or anyone else. I'm just looking for units with problems.

I talked with a dealer of this brand and others and was told Rigol has had a very high failure rate. The term "broken" was used. No specific model, but he was apparently referring to their lower end oscilloscopes when he mentioned price (a few hundred dollars). A number of these were purchased for a college and after a couple of years they had to be replaced with Agilent scopes due to the failure rate.

So the question, has anyone seen and/or heard of a higher than usual failure rate for Rigol products?

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
I would be curious to know if the Agilent scopes also had a high failure rate at this college. That's a pretty harsh environment to have test gear in. If this dealer was referring to the DS1052E and the various lower-end models, I think there would be more posts on this forum about failed Rigols if the failure rate were at all higher than the typical piece of test equipment. I have heard a few cases of knobs falling off/breaking (I'm not sure which series of scopes this was on however) but that is about the extent of what I recall seeing.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
So the question, has anyone seen and/or heard of a higher than usual failure rate for Rigol products?
i suspect its broken encoders that need replacement. my rigol ds1052e still working but few encoders already been replaced.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Frequent Contributor
I'm trying to get the model number of the scope(s) involved. (This maybe exaggerated a bit since that dealership doesn't sell Rigol any more.)

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
Many years Rigol function generator could not work too long continuosly in topical non-airconditioner environment.  An observation of 5 sets Rigol.  Agilent sets had no such issues.  I can't remember the model number now. 

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
I don't have stats but based on reports posted on this forum, its not anymore than other Chinese brand T&M. 

The key thing with new gear is the long term warranty and short term support from the seller i.e., no questions asked return within 2 weeks or so.  After you buy it, make sure you do a thorough performance check, then a system 'burn in' to try to make it fail while under warranty.  I do this with all gear, Rigol or not.

Avoid v1.0 of products as they tend to be buggy, its worst for lesser branded gear such as Rigol; FWIW even big names like Agilent and Fluke are also affected but less so.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:27:20 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
A sorry state of affairs from the T&M industry. :--   Isn't/wasn't Rigol the one who was OEM for a few of the big T&M names??
A very wise practice to accelerate the 'break in' period.

I wasn't told which scope other than it was a "single model scope" and other pieces of equipment. I guess it was a secret.  :-//

With the change in Agilent T&M to Keysight Technologies, I wonder what additional cost cutting they have planned;
http://www.agilent.com/about/companyinfo/company-separation.html
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:43:24 pm by videobruce »

• Frequent Contributor
Correction; they did not sell the line. (wires got crossed somewhere).  :-[
The substitute Agilent scope is a DSOX3024A if that narrows down what Rigol it may have been.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:00:04 pm by videobruce »

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
I smell a rat and I'm anosmic!

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
Those scopes are in a completely different league than the 'few hundred $' rigols, with a price to match. That's quite an upsell, and a lot of money for the vendor...I suppose he also told them the half-the-price Agilent DSOX2000 series just wouldn't work either.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:17:03 pm by Nerull »

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
err, exactly which environment in college?

depending on where they were used, they could've had some seriously stupid things done to them.

"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

• Frequent Contributor
I have no idea of the exact use or where it was. I'm sure there is something to it, but to what extent, I do not know. Using the term breaks or broken kinda leaves a lot to be desired. Sounds as a term used on Amazon product reviews.  ;)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
FWIW I never had a problem with my DS2000 and Dave gave his DS1052 to his kid Sagan as a Toy, and so far is surviving the abuse.

So unless there is a non vague statement I don't see any validity on claims that Rigol equipment is sub par. So far for was it has been talked about in this forum, they are pretty solid other than one incident where a DS2000 FPGA retaining clip wasn't properly solder and so far with the rest of the Rigol products their customer support and replacing faulty design for customers that request the upgrade has been not speedy but they have follow through and get them fixed.

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
 I work for a university, and you wouldn't believe how rough students can be on equipment. Mostly "innocent" screwups and lots of normal wear and tear,  but have seen more than a few cases of outright malicious damage.  |O

"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

• Frequent Contributor
N2IXK;
Yes, I can imagine, including malicious damage. But, as long as they take care of their toy phones (idiot phones), all is well.  :blah:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
I've heard stories of soldering irons inserted into LCD screens.  :o  :wtf:
I'm glad those I sell have glass screens.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
Heh, reminds me of a story my co-worker told me. He was working at a research lab at a university, and they had a lab with ~10 spectrum analyzers in it (posh place and well equipped ;).  Apparently a student was trying to see the waveform of an AC signal riding on a fairly large DC signal, and couldn't understand why these "oscilloscopes" were not showing anything on the display. And of course, they tried every "scope" in the lab with the same results.  5k-10k per analyzer of repairs to all of their front ends later, the lab placed DC blocks on all of their SAs ;)     :palm:

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
And of course, they tried every "scope" in the lab

Are you kidding, right? Please, tell me you're kidding and that is not really happened. Please.

• Frequent Contributor
Just who were "they"? the students and/or the instructor. I bet if it was about idiot phones they would of had an answer or at least not tried it.  :-BROKE

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
So far as my co-worker says, this did happen. And "they" was a masters student at the university.  :palm:

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
So far as my co-worker says, this did happen. And "they" was a masters student at the university.  :palm:

there's a huge gap between theory and the real world :P
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
And "they" was a masters student at the university.  :palm:
And his/her degree wasn't stripped from them?  |O
In private enterprise they would be kicked out the door before they could wreck anything else.   :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
In private enterprise they would be kicked out the door before they could wreck anything else.   :phew:

Not really. Lots of people have made $100K or more mistakes and didn't get the boot. It's called training, why fire them after such an expensive lesson?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

Not really. Lots of people have made $100K or more mistakes and didn't get the boot. It's called training, why fire them after such an expensive lesson?
So a MASTERS student is not expected to know the difference between a SA and a DSO?  :palm:
How many did he/she wreck?  :wtf:
IMO inexcusable
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:26:42 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Svuppe

• Regular Contributor
there's a huge gap between theory and the real world :P
What is the old saying:

In theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.
In reality, there are differences between theory and reality.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf