Author Topic: Rigol's New Function Generator and DMM: DG800Pro / 900Pro / DM858  (Read 15669 times)

@lex and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PELLTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol Just Launch It's New Function Generator: DG800Pro / 900Pro
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2023, 09:52:36 am »
And I found this Rigol patent from The China Patent Office

The patent name is "DMM", so there might be another DHO-liked product coming soon! :)

They made it! Just today Rigol drops the DM858 and DM858E

But the specs isnt that amazing:

DM858: 5.5 digits, 125 reads/s, 0.03% precision.  $499
DM858E: 5.5 digits, 80 reads/s, 0.06% precision. $274

:palm: And it probaly still running Andriod, I personally think this isnt the best choice for an DMM... I dont want to wait like 1-min before I can actually start mesuring something  :--

The following users thanked this post: Someone, thm_w, Markus2801A

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2023, 10:13:22 am »
DM858: 5.5 digits, 125 reads/s, 0.03% precision.  $499
DM858E: 5.5 digits, 80 reads/s, 0.06% precision. $274

Uh-oh, shouldn't the high-end model be black?? How are style-conscious users supposed to live with that hodgepodge of instruments on their bench?  ;)

Edit: The graphics designer really went a bit overboard with the eye candy, for my taste. What's the deal with the fake vacuum fluorescent display? I hope it does not fade over time like the real thing...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 03:06:14 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: pheller, mr.os, tonykara, PELL

Offline idolclub

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: pheller, ZhuraYuk

Offline Njk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2023, 08:07:52 pm »
Very bench space friendly, compared to the "shoeboxes" we've been accustomed to for signal generators, counters, bench DMMs etc.
OTOH a dull shoeboxes can be stacked resulting in real space saving. A NY-style riser seems definitely better for demo purposes, but it's not a scope where the screen is an essential feature.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
They made it! Just today Rigol drops the DM858 and DM858E

One thing in advance, I like rigol no question.
But most of what they do always looks like a cheap toy.
And that too, I would never want to buy something like that and put it there.
The form factor is also completely wrong for a multimeter.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon, PELL

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
This would be the perfect form factor for a DMM6500 type device (graphing, multiple inputs). Sadly it looks like it has no advanced features at all.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: Someone, tooki

Offline NE666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2023, 02:47:53 pm »
Very bench space friendly, compared to the "shoeboxes" we've been accustomed to for signal generators, counters, bench DMMs etc.
OTOH a dull shoeboxes can be stacked resulting in real space saving.

Vertically, of course.  But it doesn't help with workspace depth i.e. front to back.  These slim style instruments do address that, albeit by discarding the PSU altogether, which then has to go somewhere else.  However, at least you get the choice e.g. under your bench.  If you've a proper electronics workstation, with the caveat of having the physical space for it in your chosen room, then it's a non-issue.  A lot of hobbyists have to make do with multi-purpose desks/tables in their homes, which is where I think this is a bit of a win.

Offline NE666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2023, 02:54:27 pm »
it probaly still running Andriod, I personally think this isnt the best choice for an DMM... I dont want to wait like 1-min before I can actually start mesuring something  :--

I see what you're saying but still, does anyone *just* own a bench multimeter though?  I speak only for myself of course but I don't turn on my 344111A to make one or two quick measurements.  That's why a I keep a small population of handhelds, well, to hand!

The following users thanked this post: tonykara, PELL

• Regular Contributor
Update:

I just found an upgrade license for the DG800Pro one channel version named "DG800Pro-DCH---channel upgrade option" in Rigol CN

(Yes, the lowest $299 model only gives you one available channel)

For those who are familiar with the old DG800 (without Pro), it is exactly the same: Hardware supports 2 channels, but software locks down one of them and upgradable.

Looks like this is very hackable >:D

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline NE666

• Regular Contributor
It's very unlikely that Dave will read this, and he's a busy man in any case however, if you were to be - is there any chance that you might request a trial unit from Rigol?   If only for an unboxing and a quick poke around its capabilities?

Given the significant contribution to their sales revenue that your reviews and this forum have undoubtedly made over the years, it would be churlish of them not to oblige.

TIA

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, PELL

• Regular Contributor
if you were to be - is there any chance that you might request a trial unit from Rigol?   If only for an unboxing and a quick poke around its capabilities?

Hi! I would like to get a trial too, but I am not sure if they will respond to individual trial requests.

btw the product will start shipping at the end of December. Maybe it will not too long before we can actually see a review.

Best

Offline NE666

• Regular Contributor
btw the product will start shipping at the end of December.

Good to know, thanks.  However, if that's the case, I suspect that it won't be available in western markets until 4-6 months later.  Which may not be such a bad thing - I also suspect that, at this time, it's very much a product which is still being cooked.  e.g. there's no user manual published yet, just the quick setup guide.  The spec sheet also looks sparse, compared to the DG800/900 series.  A little time to mature may be no bad thing.

The following users thanked this post: PELL

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
Looks like they are in the process of shipping these from CN, had one [DG821pro] in backorder since the black friday sale (nov), and the first update was yesterday.

Promosheets..
DG800pro series
http://tinyurl.com/yfda5uny

DG900Pro series
http://tinyurl.com/395yepk4
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 03:03:15 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: NE666, PELL

Offline NE666

• Regular Contributor
And despite being officially available in Rigol's CN online store there is still no sign of a full product manual.  I'm about ready to give up on a return to the days when TE manufacturers kept skilled technical writers on staff and felt obligated to provide customers with complete, comprehensive and polished documentation.

The new "VESA enabled" DMM has been launched in that market too, with the same issue.

(Not to mention both also being afflicted by the UI cancer which is their new numeric font).

Offline pasik

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w, NE666

Offline Demon Xanth

• Contributor
Interesting that the DM858E is nerfed on the current to 3.15A from 10A. Wonder if this is a fuse change. Reading storage is nerfed, likely a key change. Haven't been able to make out how far the frequency function works up to in the manual.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
First review of DM858:

https://youtu.be/u8b5gk9B6sY?si=snLz2PGAvtlzi1gi
It's the E-variant that got somewhat inferior specs vs DM858,  but more or less the same bootup time as Rigol's DG800PRO signal gen - a tad over 65 sec.

The incl. PSU brand seems to differ, LITEON vs DELTA but could also just be minor production variables, as the charge protocols are identical...

* DG800PRO datasheet put in #37 hence pr post/8K kB-file limitations.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 03:09:24 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Interesting that the DM858E is nerfed on the current to 3.15A from 10A. Wonder if this is a fuse change. Reading storage is nerfed, likely a key change. Haven't been able to make out how far the frequency function works up to in the manual.
Frequency measurements,
Voltage: 100kHz
Current: 10kHz

The following users thanked this post: Demon Xanth

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
A glance into the build-in waveforms DG800PRO..looks to be a tad over 150..

There is also User-manual (108pages) & Quick Guide. (24pages) for both series.
english translated (aut)  if somebody wants them, I will gladly upload them..

// DG900PRO user manual 108 pages English [BOT]
Two parts hence 8000KB limit, second part page 55-108 in post below
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 10:17:01 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
Took a look at the latest FW update release notes for my DG800PRO signal generator but it's a lot of volapyk, likely from the script translation.

The new 12-1-2024 GEL-fw file is the same between DG800PRO & DG900PRO series, so it does seem like they share a lot of the same hardware DNA.
https://download.rigol.com/cn/Firmware/Waveform%20Generator/DG800%26DG900%20Pro/DG800Pro_DG900Pro(ARM)Update.rar

Tried some of the regional script standards in Notepad, but none of them would play along.?
How do you read these Chinese release notes?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 02:25:01 am by DaneLaw »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Tried some of the regional script standards in Notepad, but none of them would play along.?

It looks like this has happened before and its some kind of encrypted/mis saved file: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg4943083/#msg4943083

Offline zrq

• Frequent Contributor

Try GB2312 encoding. Or drag it to a modern browser like Firefox, which is smart enough to recognize it when running on English Windows without Chinese support installed.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
But a bit suspicious that I can only find it on an Italian site. Hopeful it will be available in english soon as well.

Now the big question. Is any of this upgradeable (hackable) ?

You can get these models from many European sources.
Eleshop, Batterfly etc. etc been for sale for some weeks now.  https://www.batterfly.com/shop/en/blog-posts/rigol-dm800-dg800pro-dg900pro-introduction
Also all the manuals, and datasheets are in English, so I don't have to rely on bot-translated CN variants from Nov.

Online baldurn

• Regular Contributor
You can get these models from many European sources.
Eleshop, Batterfly etc. etc been for sale for some weeks now.  https://www.batterfly.com/shop/en/blog-posts/rigol-dm800-dg800pro-dg900pro-introduction
Also all the manuals, and datasheets are in English, so I don't have to rely on bot-translated CN variants from Nov.

Eleshop says "Expected on 15 Mar" on some models and "lead time 10 days" on others, so not quite there yet but really soon?

Still waiting to hear if we can unlock them  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf