Author Topic: Rigol's New Function Generator and DMM: DG800Pro / 900Pro / DM858  (Read 15534 times)

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
You can get these models from many European sources.
Eleshop, Batterfly etc. etc been for sale for some weeks now.  https://www.batterfly.com/shop/en/blog-posts/rigol-dm800-dg800pro-dg900pro-introduction
Also all the manuals, and datasheets are in English, so I don't have to rely on bot-translated CN variants from Nov.

Eleshop says "Expected on 15 Mar" on some models and "lead time 10 days" on others, so not quite there yet but really soon?

Still waiting to hear if we can unlock them  8)

These European resellers usually get them in very limited quantities, fx 1 or 2 of each model, and new batch with a few will come a few weeks later, depending on demand.. stock estimates are quite volatile.. I don't know how much confidence you can put into these lead times.
Manual.
https://static.eleshop.nl/mage/media/downloads/DG800Pro_UserGuide_EN.pdf
Sheet
https://static.eleshop.nl/mage/media/downloads/DG800Pro_DataSheet_EN.pdf
Programming guide
https://static.eleshop.nl/mage/media/downloads/DG800ProDG900Pro_ProgrammingGuide_EN.pdf

The big question obviously is how liberateable/hackable the cheaper models actually are.
The older non-PRO model model DG8xx as I understand could be ported a good way up the ladder.. DG992 ?? (though with some lack of linearity).

If these lower-end 800PRO models to a few hundred can be hacked' it would elevate the demand quite a bit... the highest 900PRO model does have some potent fundamentals..[1.25Gs/s - 16Bit - 200MHz - 32M]
I have no idea how hackable they are,  the GEL update file on my unit, is identical between DG800PRO & DG900PRO
Officially only 2 options on the DG800PRO series... * memory & * channel.
The big 7" touchscreen screen is a pleasure to work with on a signal-gen and the power bank ability is also a big plus (35W/15v)
- but the temperature-controlled fan in this latest form factor-line from Rigol. *Scope, *Pro Sig Gen, and likely also *5½DMM is far from pleasant, and the bootup time is also quite extensive.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 11:56:52 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: baldurn

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
Can you tell me if it is possible to load my own waveform?
I couldn't find it in the user manual.

The following users thanked this post: PELL

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Now available in north america:
https://www.rigolna.com/products/waveform-generators/dg800-pro/
https://www.rigolcanada.com/products/waveform-generators/dg800-pro/

DG821 Pro 25MHz 1CH $399 USD $527 CAD 
DG822 Pro 25MHz 2CH $439 USD $579 CAD   
DG852 Pro 50MHz 2CH $499 USD $659 CAD
DG902 Pro 70MHz 2CH $699 USD $923 CAD
DG912 Pro 150MHz 2CH $899 USD $1187 CAD
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: PELL

Online PELLTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Can you tell me if it is possible to load my own waveform?
I couldn't find it in the user manual.

>:( Me neither, so I contacted their support, and they told me "This is still in polishing so there is no UI".  |O

Anyway, They do tell me how to load in custom waveform:

1. Download Ultra Station software and edit your waveform

2. Save it as "xxx.raf" format and rename it to "xxx.arb"

3. copy it to USB stick, and send SCPI command via USB or IP, the command is "MMEM:LOAD:DATA 1,USB:/xxx.arb"

4. turn off and on the output again, and now you should have your custom wave.

This is absolutely a disaster, I do get custom output but the waveform isn't what I expect at all. Also you cant change amplitude or frequency.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: csuhi17

Online PELLTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
ATTENTION FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO BUY:

DO NOT BUY IT AT THIS STAGE

You don't get custom waveform because the software is "still in development" (quotes from their support) :-//

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w, Jacon, Anthocyanina

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
Thanks PELL.

If anyone has the DM858/E, could you tell me if it is capable of continuous recording?

I mean when I want to log the stability of a power supply with the highest frequency (80-125 Readings/s) for several days.
I want the function when the DMM reaches the maximum 20k/500k, then save the file to a flash drive and then start recording again until I stop it or the storage is full.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
@PELL - Are you a'jour with the Chinese forums?

Are there any development hence hacking/liberating it, also in regards to the basic options (ch/mem) and to what extent there are hw-differences between the models [DG900PRO & DG800PRO]
Are you on the firmware from 12-1-2024

// https://www.rigol.com/products/DG_detail/DG800Pro
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 09:38:10 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
The DM858 has just been released to the EU market, I don't think anyone has it yet.
I'm a bit interested in this meter, it looks like it could be a capable little meter when I look at it from one point, the form factor and the user interface. On the other hand when I'm reading the specification, I feel like it's using an off the shelf handheld multimeter chipset. Like 3% AC accuracy? On some ranges it has worse accuracy than the GW121.
I'm a bit surprised there isn't more talk about these, especially after the success of the 800 series scopes.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
[...] when I'm reading the specification, I feel like it's using an off the shelf handheld multimeter chipset.

With a one minute boot time, presumably, since it will run Android.  |O

I'm a bit surprised there isn't more talk about these, especially after the success of the 800 series scopes.

Maybe Rigol have pushed the "style over substance" a bit too far with these ones?
And frankly, I don't even like the style. Those "fake luminescent" digits, and the circular number pad? Too toy-like for my taste.

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I had overlooked it.
Compared to the similarly priced Siglent, the accuracy of the DM858 is ridiculous.  :palm:

I wouldn't be affected by the switch-on time, because it needs to warm up a bit for accurate measurement anyway.
If I want to do a quick less accurate measurement, I use any Owon DMM I have or my Aneng A3009.

I like the flat design with a large display.

I would not have used the round numpad, I prefer the touch screen.

But now I'm a little unsure if it's worth it.
I've already found three things I don't like about it.
Why is the color white for both?
Its inaccuracy in RMS measurement...
Most likely, it could not be used as I would like for logging.

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
Its the DMM DM858/E, you were looking at?

Online csuhi17

• Regular Contributor
Its the DMM DM858/E, you were looking at?

I misunderstood ebastler's post. :-DD
He wrote for AWG and I meant for DMM.
But I would also use the touch screen on the AWG. I'm already good with the stylus. :-+

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
I misunderstood ebastler's post. :-DD
He wrote for AWG and I meant for DMM.
But I would also use the touch screen on the AWG. I'm already good with the stylus. :-+

I sensed that  :) but yeah you're right..these funky round Rigol num-dials are far from ideal,  I primarily also use the screen for touch-input and stay away from the Round numdials, but mostly I use an active stylus as it makes it easy to flip from the touchscreen on the scope STO1104C to the AWGDG821PRO when you can use the same active stylus across both.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Yeah the digits font is really dumb, they need an option to change it back to regular solid font.

I was wrong about graphing on DM858, it looks like they have some basic graphing functionality:

But the logging is only 500,000 samples for some reason? That is ~1hr at the max sample rate (125s/s).
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Yep, sorry -- I had mixed up which of two instruments has the circular number pad. In my defense, it is so pointless, it might well be on either of them.  :P

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
An example of the active stylus on the Rigol AWG
It's an older Stylus model, the "active" aspect works on anything with a capacitive touchscreen, so all modern Siglent & Rigol and other brands lab-gear with a capacitive touchscreen.

I turn it off midway through the video, to show the difference of the "active" part.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:29:32 pm by DaneLaw »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w

Online PELLTopic starter

• Regular Contributor

Are you on the firmware from 12-1-2024

Yes

Are there any development hence hacking/liberating it

Not really at this moment, seems like very few people are interested in this new DGPro at least in China.

I did try to hack this machine but very few cludes were found. Since I don't have a DG900Pro series or DG852Pro, this gonna take a while  before we can actually start hacking it.

The following users thanked this post: timop

Offline ivantankj

Just like to share some early comparisons I did with my DM858E against my Hioki DT4261, and to keep it consistent, I used the fabulous Hioki probes on both DMMs. In continuity mode, the response speed of DM858E is nowhere near as instantaneous as the Hioki. The sensitivity of the probes seems to be on the lower side as well, and would require a heavier hand and a more deliberate effort to register a reading, whereas on my Hioki, gliding along the chip pins would easily pick up the continuity signal with nary a hassle. I think I'm spoilt with the DT4261. The "sluggishness" of the Rigol is something I hope they can improve over time. Onto the capacitance reading as well, took a fair bit longer (5-10secs?) to get a reading of in/out-of-circuit capacitors... anyway, for the price I paid which is around ~USD310 for a bench DMM versus a portable one, I guess it's to be expected.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 02:46:50 am by ivantankj »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline gbix

• Contributor
I have a dg821pro and I managed to turn it into a dg922pro with all the additional options
Therefore, you can safely buy simple models  :)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 04:12:31 pm by gbix »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Ivan7enych, DaneLaw, baldurn, csuhi17, PELL

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
I have a dg821pro and I managed to turn it into a dg922pro with all the additional options

gbix @ If its a relatively straightforward process and your willing to share it, to the point that others can follow suit, maybe think about starting a new thread
- so it ain't getting out watered in this mixed Rigol multimeter/signal gen (all for one) thread.

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Offline baldurn

• Regular Contributor

How?

Offline gbix

• Contributor
I need do some test on different devices

if you want try update your GD800/900 pro device to max version or any other pm me for instruction
You can switch to older version at any time ;)

Offline gbix

• Contributor
last news for DG821pro
device can't produce frq above 200mhz ;(
but can do modulation (am and fm modulation) up to 200mhz
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 10:59:32 pm by gbix »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, DaneLaw, PELL

Offline ToThePub

• Contributor
For those of us in Australia, Emona has just listed the DG 8/900 Pro's:
https://emona.com.au/products/electronic-test-measure/function-generators-counters

Also listed the DM 858:
https://emona.com.au/dm858/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 12:18:37 am by ToThePub »

Offline Construct

• Contributor
I'm surprised the DG800Pro series contains the hardware for the higher sample rates of the DG900Pro series.

The teardown ( https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-new-dg822pro-teardown ) shows a TI DAC38J82, which is a 2.5GSPS dual channel DAC (1.25GSPS per channel).

Strangely, TI has a pin-compatible 1.6GSPS part in the same lineup at almost half the price: DAC37J82. This lower spec part would make more sense in the DG800 series, which tops out a 625 MSPS/channel, or 1.25GSPS combined.

I wouldn't be surprised if later DG800Pro builds started coming with the cheaper, lower sample rate variant DAC. Seems like Rigol is leaving money on the table by putting the faster DAC in the slower model when a cheaper variant is available.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf