Author Topic: RIGOL Launches RSA5000 Series, the First Real-Time Spectrum Analyzer in China  (Read 14387 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Many people suggest there is a clear gap between Chinese and EU/US brands in terms of quality. I think it's proven many times this is just wrong. No vendor is ideal, all major manufacturers do mistakes. One may say western companies handle problems "differently", but I'd say there is a big variation from case-to-case basis. Srsly, how problems with jitter on a 4-5-years old model can be used to extrapolate on yet-unrelease gear?

So, for me no matter where the new product comes from, only thorough reviews and can show the quality (still no protection from bad batches). So, I don't look at labels anymore, it is quite pointless nowdays (esp. with all that rebranding stuff when western companies just sell rebaged good).

Also, it looks like Chinese companies are catching up with more established brands. Let's see the market situation in 10 years...
Currently, the main difference seems to be the way problems are handled indeed. According to some of the Chinese members here, the idea of building a reputation isn't natural to many Chinese manufacturers.

That being said, I've purchased two devices made by GW-Instek and have been very suprised by their solid build quality. I know they're Taiwanese and not actually Chinese, but you get the idea.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline tboy32

• Supporter

Is that three front panel USB ports, a headphone jack and a vent for an electret microphone? Or maybe that's a vent for a beeper/buzzer? Why three USB ports... and a headphone jack?

If it IS a microphone, could this be the world's first voice-controlled spectrum analyzer?  :-DD

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Now you are overcompensating!  :-DD

Ouch!  :o

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Many people suggest there is a clear gap between Chinese and EU/US brands in terms of quality. I think it's proven many times this is just wrong. No vendor is ideal, all major manufacturers do mistakes. One may say western companies handle problems "differently", but I'd say there is a big variation from case-to-case basis. Srsly, how problems with jitter on a 4-5-years old model can be used to extrapolate on yet-unrelease gear?

So, for me no matter where the new product comes from, only thorough reviews and can show the quality (still no protection from bad batches). So, I don't look at labels anymore, it is quite pointless nowdays (esp. with all that rebranding stuff when western companies just sell rebaged good).

Also, it looks like Chinese companies are catching up with more established brands. Let's see the market situation in 10 years...

Well, let me put it this way: hardware wise, quality is just fine. It is  very good in comparison, with many recent flops from big brands, trying to compete in (to their perception) low margin part of market.

On software side, on the other hand,  is a lot of room for improvement.
Problems range from software that is clumsily design (be it user interface or choice of options), generally lacking features, to simple implementation problems. All in all, functional but far from polished, easy to use and quick to accomplish tasks.. And firmware side is not worst. I personally find most Rigol products I tried, is to be honest devices that work quite well, but their PC software is simply useless...
Siglent seems to create good platforms, but rushes them to market half finished (hardware and software) and has reputation to abandon devices too soon, moving on to new ones..
I in that regard, I find Rigol to be more professional.  On the other hand Siglent approach will in theory more capable device, if you're willing to wait for a year to iron out basic operation..

And I don't think 10 years.. I think it is starting this year. RIGOL's new series of RT spec analysers mentioned here are start, new series of scope based on their new chipset etc...
If they gonna attack mid range they will have to become competitive on look and feel and software side.. And support..
And they will..  And it will be interesting..

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
The software side of things often is horrible even in very expensive equipment. Dave's review of a logic analyser showed this in some detail and that's not by any means an exception.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
Is that three front panel USB ports, a headphone jack and a vent for an electret microphone? Or maybe that's a vent for a beeper/buzzer? Why three USB ports... and a headphone jack?

If it IS a microphone, could this be the world's first voice-controlled spectrum analyzer?  :-DD

Mouse + keyboard + USB stick would be my guess, Wifi-dongle possibly, provide power and possibly control to some external device perhaps. The headphone jack is most likely for audio-output (demodulated RF signal). No idea what the mic would be for. Voice Control is one option, might be the first spectrum analyzer but not the first piece of T&M gear.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor

Mouse + keyboard + USB stick would be my guess, Wifi-dongle possibly, provide power and possibly control to some external device perhaps. The headphone jack is most likely for audio-output (demodulated RF signal). No idea what the mic would be for. Voice Control is one option, might be the first spectrum analyzer but not the first piece of T&M gear.
Symbol next to the holes is a symbol for a speaker.. Probably built in speaker.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
Sinophobia.
I learnt a word.
Learn another one: Yaigol

Very mature and professional approach from a distributor of a compeeting brand.
Everyone here knows you prefer Siglent but comments like that just makes you look like an idiot in my Eyes (and I know from your regular forum posts that you're not). I don't remember seeing comments like that from "representatives" of ANY other brands than Siglent and that simply does NOT help you or the brand you're trying push. Representatives from Tek, R&S, Keysight etc tend to be a bit more professional and either stick to facts or keep their mouth shut when they simply have nothing constructive to say - you should try that next time.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Problems range from software that is clumsily design (be it user interface or choice of options), generally lacking features, to simple implementation problems.

I hear you. But big brands are also not always good from start. Check this, for example: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/e36300-series-programmable-dc-power-supplies-(e36311a-e36312a-e36313a)/ . Big standby power consumpion, random hangs, fun turns on even if unit is not switched on, current limiting is not accurate ([1]). And that's an expensive device recently released (still haven't seen issues addressed). If it was Rigol that thread would be full of hate.

[1] https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/e36300-series-programmable-dc-power-supplies-(e36311a-e36312a-e36313a)/msg1377464/#msg1377464

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Very mature and professional approach from a distributor of a compeeting brand.
Everyone here knows you prefer Siglent but comments like that just makes you look like an idiot in my Eyes (and I know from your regular forum posts that you're not). I don't remember seeing comments like that from "representatives" of ANY other brands than Siglent and that simply does NOT help you or the brand you're trying push. Representatives from Tek, R&S, Keysight etc tend to be a bit more professional and either stick to facts or keep their mouth shut when they simply have nothing constructive to say - you should try that next time.
Representatives from Tektronix just make spammy posts, which is a lot more professional than this.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Problems range from software that is clumsily design (be it user interface or choice of options), generally lacking features, to simple implementation problems.

I hear you. But big brands are also not always good from start. Check this, for example: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/e36300-series-programmable-dc-power-supplies-(e36311a-e36312a-e36313a)/ . Big standby power consumpion, random hangs, fun turns on even if unit is not switched on, current limiting is not accurate ([1]). And that's an expensive device recently released (still haven't seen issues addressed). If it was Rigol that thread would be full of hate.

[1] https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/e36300-series-programmable-dc-power-supplies-(e36311a-e36312a-e36313a)/msg1377464/#msg1377464

Well I mentioned that but didn't elaborate... Let's see : there was many Keysight 2000/3000 scopes with NAND rot that stopped booting.  There is known issue with Keysight scopes blowing PSU-s...
A member here saying that his TTi lab PSU (that he bought it just for that purpose to be a good brand just in case) damaged 10000 USD development board. It was set to zero on power up, the switch on spike reached 10 A..
Much overhyped R&S RTB2000 full of bugs, expensive, and people bought it without being released yet... Etc Etc...
Most of users of brand name equipment wont even tell you it never breaks, they tell you they have great support when it does...
I don't worship any manufacturer, and none of them are perfect, not even close.

I predict that  USA corporations, hungry for only high profit margin industry, will at one moment start pulling out of R&D industry at lover spectrum completely. Like IBM, that kept consulting and only mainframe and Power servers hardware. They sold everything else..

The following users thanked this post: exe, Jacon

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
Update folks!

There is now datasheets, users guide, programmer's guide, etc., even pricing on Rigol's international site:
https://int.rigolna.com/products/spectrum-analyzers/rsa5000/

Also several introductory videos showing it in action are posted.

Quick screen shot of pricing attached.

Perhaps we'll start to see some demos and comparison against Siglent SSA3032X? 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:17:53 am by Sparky »

Offline simone.pignattiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
European Pricing:
RSA5032 EURO 6895.-NET
RSA5032-TG EURO 7895.-NET
RSA5065 EURO 8595.-NET
RSA5065-TG EURO 9595.-NET
Technical Support

Offline edgelog

• Regular Contributor
Why does it give a complex trace without any input plugged in ?

Maybe this amazing product shot from their European site gives a clue. There's some serious parallax going on here...

https://www.rigol.eu/real-time/

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
Why does it give a complex trace without any input plugged in ?

Maybe this amazing product shot from their European site gives a clue. There's some serious parallax going on here...

https://www.rigol.eu/real-time/

Nonono, you got it all wrong, that picture is trying to show the 3D-like experience their new analyzer gives the user! the image looks good at all angles!
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline edgelog

• Regular Contributor
...and a few other beauties, like this vertically mirrored display of, um, something... some masterful photoshoppery going on here.

• Frequent Contributor
Luckily the unit is on the way so we can test it live
Technical Support

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
Is that really a 4 channel oscilloscope vertical scale at the bottom?  :-DD

• Frequent Contributor
Oh wow!that really sucks!! Somebody took a  screenshot of the upcoming oscilloscope and pasted on the RSA and not even doing a good job. Great ...
Technical Support

Offline edgelog

• Regular Contributor
Somebody took a  screenshot of the upcoming oscilloscope and pasted on the RSA and not even doing a good job. Great ...

Upcoming oscilloscope?

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
I hope, Rigol will send one unit to Shahriar from The Signal Path so he can do a review on it.
I always appreciate his reviews on testgear.  :)     :-+
Shahriar totally knows what he is talking about, plus he has a nice accent and cool gear for testing. If anyone from Rigol reads this send him a unit :-+

He has also a very nice cat!  :-+

• Frequent Contributor
Somebody took a  screenshot of the upcoming oscilloscope and pasted on the RSA and not even doing a good job. Great ...

Upcoming oscilloscope?

Yes the one with new chipset made by Rigol
Technical Support

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
So, perhaps more just a general question about RTSA... I saw PvT mode, power vs. time, and wonder what is the time scale referenced to?

If I set a 1s acquisition time, I presume there will be a 1s sweep, but what triggers it? Does it just free-run?

Also, they list Frequency Response: <0.5dB. what does it mean?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:52:34 pm by metrologist »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf