Author Topic: Rigol MSO 5000 hardware/software revisions  (Read 832 times)

Offline NoisyBoy

• Regular Contributor
Rigol MSO 5000 hardware/software revisions
« on: May 28, 2019, 01:11:01 am »
There has been a number of discussions about the Rigol MSO5000 hardware/firmware changes in the hacking thread, thought I would start a new topic to consolidate these discussions and leave hacking thread to hacking discussions.

To start, I received my unit back in mid March.  It has a late February build date (based on calibration certificate), it has firmware 1.00.000.  I use it in an average lit room, I have to say that the screen brightness is not a serious issue in my case.  It won't compare to a new iPad Pro screen, but it is usable.

Here is what I picked up from various discussions:
* ivonenand received his unit in mid May, hardware has been updated to 1.01.000, there is no publications on exactly what this change entails.
* From rowifi: "Have heard that there is a revised hardware for the MSO5000 to fix the screen brightness.  Just resistor changes apparently. New devices being shipped with this change", and "Scopes at distributors need to go back to Germany to be fixed"
* From Magnum: "Batronix told me today that the display fix was already introduced a couple of months ago. Don't know if that is true."
* From Martin72: "I´ve asked them(if the resistor-fix is true and how to handle it), answer should be given next week."
* There is also a new firmware revision coming, rumored in June, to improve the self-cal, adds new features in power analysis, and various fixes.

I look forward to hearing contributions from all of you, thank you.

Offline Martin72

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol MSO 5000 hardware/software revisions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 07:39:39 am »
Hi,

See this one:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/new-rigol-scope/msg2448378/#msg2448378

New MSOs should arrive with low noise fan and brighter display - After consulting rigol.eu service, I´ll send mine in the mid/end of june to them for fixing the noisy fan and probably lighter display.
For free, except shipping costs to them.
New firmware-update is planned for sometime in june.

Offline Magnum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 06:24:57 am »
Hello,
received a MSO5074 today. It shows Firmware 00.01.01.04.04 and hardware 01.00.000
Last Selfcal was in March, I assume that was in the factory.

The screen looks ok, IMHO as bright as my DS1054Z. Maybe a bit brighter. Fan is audible, but ok for me.

Offline hhappy1

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 09:35:33 am »
Hi~ sir.

My Rigol arrived in mid-May and Latest selfcalibration on April 28th.
firmware : 01.04.04    ,   hardware : 1.00

There was nothing uncomfortable about fan sound and screen brightness.
Channels 3 and 4 are slightly darker, but similar to ds2000a.

The self calibration was inaccurate, so I asked 'Rigol' and contacted me.
On June 11th, I send the product to RIGOLKorea.

I will ask about fan sound and screen brightness. I will write back how it was modified.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:51:19 am by hhappy1 »

The following users thanked this post: NoisyBoy

Offline NoisyBoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 01:22:06 pm »
Keep us posted.  It seems like they are in the midst of a transition to version 1.01 hardware, as I have only seen one person reporting in with the new hardware.  Since you have seen how ver 1.00 hardware works, if they upgrade you to 1.01, you would be the first person who can tell us the difference it makes.

The biggest question is whether 1.01 is just a component change with equivalent function as 1.00?  Or does it actually bring improvement to the scope such as lower noise or brighter screen.  If it is the latter, then I would definitely be sending mine in for service.

Offline Magnum

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 06:46:48 am »
i am pretty sure that the one I got (with hardware 1.00) already has the improved display and fan. I have nothing to complain.

Online maginnovision

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 06:59:35 am »
I'm sure you're happy with it but I suspect it's the same as others.

Offline Martin72

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:21:03 am »
I´ll send mine in this week to rigol for modification what fan and screen-brightness concerns….
It wouldn´t be unsurprised if these mods were already done in newer fabrications, wearing then a new hardware state - because it is a new hardware state.

Online maginnovision

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 07:38:16 am »
Yes, you'd expect the HW version to change because otherwise they could be accepting good hardware for repairs it doesn't need.

Offline Martin72

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 07:48:25 am »
It is the normal way in production line.
The developement isn´t finished because the units has been left the factory for sale.
When improvements hast to be taken, they (the improvements) must take a change in the hardware configuration state, at least to different older from newer versions.
So do we, if an older unit comes in for repair/servicing, the first we check is the actual hardware state, say state "A".
If it´s now state "B" or "C", we´ll look in the history, what has been changed and change the old one too.

So I won´t worry actual about the hardware Version - As long, as my model could be changed to it too, of course....

Offline whatisthis

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 08:14:10 am »
Yes, you'd expect the HW version to change because otherwise they could be accepting good hardware for repairs it doesn't need.

They can check also by serial number.

I have MSO5074 fw 00.01.01.04.04, hw 01.00.00, last calibration 29-apr-2019, purchased and received in May. No problems with display or fan.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf