Author Topic: Rigol MSO 5000 hardware/software revisions  (Read 66929 times)

Offline Otopil

Re: Rigol MSO 5000 hardware/software revisions
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2019, 05:31:00 pm »
Thanks Martin for your reaction. I read your notes on this and the improvements on noise and brightness seem important  to me. Therefore  I would like to be able to check the HW status when an MSO5K is delivered to me, especially as  the latest report on delivery  status in this thread shows that in July 2019 Rigol still delivered HW 1.00.000
Do you know of an objective indication that the hardware includes the improvements and whether this is indicate by a higher HW   versionnumber?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2019, 05:58:24 pm »
Hi,

Some of the members here bought one with version 1.01., mine should be it too, after the mods:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso-5000-hardwaresoftware-revisions/msg2515140/#msg2515140
Why there is 1.02 in the delivery note, I must ask for it  - IMHO the modifications done are 1.01. .
So new scope comes with this Version, older or on stock with 1.00 but modificated - or not.
A clear difference between mod/no mod will be the fan noise.
HW 1.00 sounds louder and higher what the frequency concerns.
1.01. sounds "deeper", the frontend of the scope is getting warmer.
Display.....hard to describe…

Martin

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2019, 08:32:32 pm »
stmcore, thanks for the site.

That is exactly what not to do when it comes to web management, all the other sites are on 04.04, and you have one Chinese support site on 04.08.   |O

I surely hope they will do a better job in coding the next release of the firmware update.

Rigol.eu told me, the next "official" ( means it will be avaible at US and Europe site) fw update will come soon, in this month…..

Offline Otopil

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2019, 11:21:45 am »
Today the MSO5074 came in, according to the retailer directly from Rigol EU in Germany..........

Hardware 1.00.000
Firmware 00.01.01.04.04

Any noise is 'eh' noise but as I have no reference I cannot judge whether the fan is noisy.
Screenbrightness is sufficient on my bench where  no outside light is falling in.

I'm not going to bother whether Rigol has upgraded this MSO while in it's inventory but going  to enjoy exploring all it's functions and features.

Many thanks to all contributers on this forum

Offline NoisyBoyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2019, 08:26:06 pm »
Rigol.eu told me, the next "official" ( means it will be avaible at US and Europe site) fw update will come soon, in this month…..

Given their track record, I would treat that as a pleasant surprise, but I'd rather not hold my breath for it  :)

Since there really hasn't been an official update in NA since February, the update, when it appears, would be a welcomed event.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2019, 09:05:04 pm »
I´m curious about the next updates - There aren´t no really big faults to clean, but there would be some nice to haves.
It was a longer time ago, so I´m not afraid to post it, as they told me once that bode plot will come.
Also my moaning about the same colour of EVERY math trace was forwarwarded to the R&D.
And finally the missed enhanced resolution function, as known by e.g. siglent and lecroy.
(It´s a filter, Hi-Res and enhanced resolution are two different pairs of shoes, this would be the reason why HR-mode by rigol models "looks" not the same as on other brands).
Whereby it could be not possible, they were not sure if the hardware could manage it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2019, 04:06:37 am »
As the MSO8000 is their flagship, I would say that anything that does not exist in the 8000 is unlikely to make a first appearance on the 5000.  So I am not expecting things like bode plot and enhanced resolution, unless Rigol really surprised us by over delivering the good news.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2019, 08:56:38 am »
As the MSO8000 is their flagship, I would say that anything that does not exist in the 8000 is unlikely to make a first appearance on the 5000.

By default I agree BUT they could also "experiment" in the little brother and then release in the flagship without hiccups.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2019, 07:40:09 pm »
If I understood it right, it´s the same platform (Ultravision II) for all models, so if one got a new feature, the others could have it too. (IMHO)

So I am not expecting things like bode plot and enhanced resolution

I´ve been told, the enhanced resolution filter function could be difficult to realize.
Maybe this is the reason, rigol never had it on their models.

Offline dermeister

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2019, 05:41:26 pm »
I've just received an MSO5074 with HW 01.00.00, Build 2019-02-20 from Tequipment. The screen does indeed seem pretty dim and the fan could be a bit quieter. Has anybody figured out what the differences are to HW 1.01 that make the screen brighter and fan quieter?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2019, 07:20:50 pm »
That is interesting, I thought Rigol has updated all the scopes in dealer inventory based on others' comments.  Is it a new scope, or an open-box/demo units from clearance?  What are you comparing the brightness and fan noise to?

If you read Martin72 earlier posts, you would see even if Rigol has updated the old scopes with brighter screen and quieter fan, the hardware still remains 1.00 from the help screen.  User does not have a way to tell, and Rigol may track it with your serial number instead of hardware version. 

If it is a concern to you, I would suggest you contact Rigol to see if they can look up your scope by serial number to see if those updates are included. 

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2019, 07:30:56 pm »
I've just received an MSO5074 with HW 01.00.00, Build 2019-02-20 from Tequipment. The screen does indeed seem pretty dim and the fan could be a bit quieter. Has anybody figured out what the differences are to HW 1.01 that make the screen brighter and fan quieter?
I suggest you to contact rigol north america and they will ask you for the serial number to confirm if your scope has the LCD and fan noise fixed or not.  I received my unit back in late May and I noticed the LCD being OK and very low fan noise, compared to the first unit I had and returned in March.  I wrote Rigol and they confirmed that my unit had the fixes installed.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2019, 07:59:48 pm »
I think the HW version is directly tied to a new batch of Zynq FPGAs and is distinguishable in the MCU's Device DNA.

So far, just a theory...

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2019, 08:20:14 pm »
So far, just a theory...

Makes sense.
As I got my modified scope back, nothing has changed on the info screen.
I got "only" the confirmation on the delivery note.
And I´m very, very curious what they´d changed, may be I open up my scope again….
…….Meanwhile, the quieter fan noise could still annoying you, when the enviroment is calm, this deeper sound.... ;)
But this is nothing against the sound level of a lecroy wavejet.
This thing sounds really like ajet….

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2019, 12:22:34 pm »
Do the logic analyzer on the scope is worth to buy the probe?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2019, 07:08:37 pm »
Hi,

This is the thread about hard- and software revisions, better you post your question there:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/new-rigol-scope/msg2751050/#msg2751050

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2019, 09:00:56 pm »
20th November 2019...
Nearly a year has passed as rigol launched the MSO5.
And in this time, only one ("official") update was launched.
Whenever I´ve asked them about in this year, they told me "soon" or "next month".
Whenever the next upgrade arrives, it should be packed with "tons" of debugged things and new features - Anything else would be a disappointment.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2019, 03:54:46 am »
I am keeping a low expectation for Rigol these days so I won't be disappointed. 

I noticed they made one change, if you visit the main Chinese site, they are now forcing you to your regional site based on your IP address.  Which makes 04.04 as the official release for the U.S.

The lack of firmware update seems to be a norm for many Chinese electronics.  I bought a Huawei laptop, it was a beautiful piece of hardware, but the firmware and the update utility was a mess, very much like the Rigol.  The update utility was known for being vulnerable for hacking and allowing others to gain access to the computer.  Different driver release shows up as current depending on where you go.  I quickly returned it and go back to my Apple Store and buy another MacBook Pro.  Even though I have to pay more, the level of support is simply not there for the Huawei. 

I ventured into the MSO5000 out of my curiosity for the current state of low cost Chinese test equipment, but the hidden "phone home" behavior to China is enough to convince me to stay with my tried and trusted Keysight.  I do hope they will release another update in the future to prove that they can compete with the top-Brands.  They need to do that if they are serious about moving upmarket in their offerings like the MSO8000. 

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2019, 10:59:13 pm »
The lack of firmware update seems to be a norm for many Chinese electronics.

Have a look at siglent…

Their last update for the SDS5000 series was fully packed with debugging things and additional features.
And how long is this one on the market ?

I do hope they will release another update in the future to prove that they can compete with the top-Brands.  They need to do that if they are serious about moving upmarket in their offerings like the MSO8000. 

This is the main point....
What would rigol be in the future, a deliverer for hobbyists or a global player.
Actual it seems the first, regardless of the models and their prices.
We got two new Lecroy models in october.
Each one costs 12K €, 13K €(WS9054, HDO6034A).
The rigol 8000 with 2Ghz cost nearly 14K €....
It´s bandwith is the only adventage against our new lecroys.
Everything else, EVERYTHING, is no compete.

Offline SimonH

• Contributor
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2019, 11:28:07 pm »
Addition to my post above: I'm not talking about real-time decoding here, of course, but about looking at a saved or captured waveform. Actually, it doesn't make sense for the decoder to re-decode all the time. I would expect the decoded pattern to freeze as the waveform and then just being panned and zoomed together with the waveform. This would be much more convenient.

One thing about the segmented memory (recording):

If I do a recording of several communication bursts, and then save the waveform (memory, not screen), it would be nice if all the bursts would be saved. The memory content, that is. Apparently, it only saves the burst I am looking at when saving.

Offline SimonH

• Contributor
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2019, 11:41:17 pm »
Oops, wrong thread. This is, where my latest post belongs to.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/review-rigol-mso5000-tests-bugs-questions/25/

Sorry.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2019, 11:01:07 pm »
Nearly a year has passed as rigol launched the MSO5.
And in this time, only one ("official") update was launched.

Shhh…..be aware of things to come….soon.  ;)

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2019, 10:46:22 am »
FRA or not ?  :popcorn:

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2019, 11:33:54 pm »
Hm ?

Offline geostep