Author Topic: Rigol announces "serious" scope: DS70000  (Read 4069 times)

Offline oliv3r

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol announces "serious" scope: DS70000
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2020, 01:55:42 pm »
MSO8000 is "Martial Eagle".

I haven't seen teardowns of the MSO8000 yet, but the code is the same. E.g. there's lots of 'if DS7000 -> X; if MSO8000 Y; and that is only for U-Boot/linux. appEntry is even entirely the same I think. Now if you remember looking at the resume of the former rigol employee, He listed 'Project Martial Eagle' as a ZynqMP 64bit platform. It is super likely the DS70000 will be that, and he called i the martial eagle project?

But all we need is a photo of the MSO8000 PCB, the silkscreen will reveal it ;)

Offline oliv3r

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol announces "serious" scope: DS70000
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2020, 01:59:05 pm »
means probably we won't see any fixes in the MSO5k-8k line ...

As I sold my 5000, the 70000 wasn´t in mind but that were my thoughts too.
The MSO5000 came up as the cheapest way to buy the new rigol platform - And they won´t spend much more effort to polish it.
This came in my mind as a year after buying has passed and no significant firmware updates were in sight.
But I won´t leave rigol and hopes are lying on the DSO/MSO7000.
While the performance of the 7k is higher, the 5k has as its advantage it was done later (check the PCB silkscreen to see the dates) so some bugs where fixed in that platform.

In terms of software, I'm starting (but don't have the time yet) to invetarize the various MSO appEntries and try to 'cross-run' them. E.g. run the software from the MSO8000 on the MSO5000 shouldn't be a problem. The hardware platforms are super similar. The FPGA code IS different (the big kintex 7) but appEntry is a single compile for all platforms I think...

Same there and the answer of my question ( will the 7000 have the same (noisy) frontend as the 5000 ? Yes..) let me vending my 5000 and changing to siglent.
And what to say, in the first year appearing, there are two significant updates avaible which are not only fixing some bugs, also nice features on board.
This in combination with the much less frontend and much better UI let me never regret to have done the change.
Sad rigol, so sad. :(

My guess is, that their engineering resources all went into the new DS70000 series ... I still prefer the rigol platform for some reason :)

But it's common isn't it? Release and forget...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf