Author Topic: Should I buy a BK Precision 4017A Function Generator?  (Read 13907 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Should I buy a BK Precision 4017A Function Generator?
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2017, 07:28:41 pm »
And here I thought you were just being facetious. The model numbers do get to be a bit much to keep straight. Sometimes they start to look like DGSDSRSTUVWXYZ.
Industry wide it can be confusing but with a little time it's easy to understand Siglent coding.
All the models start with S of course and the next 2 letters signify the type of instrument like so:
SSA: spectrum analyser
SDS: digital scope
SHS: handheld scope
SDG: digital generator
SDM: digital meter
SPD: power supply

Model series, BW, # of channels, digits, volts and amps are all somehow indicated the rest of the model coding.  :)

So for rstofer's SDG2082X = Siglent digital gen, 2k series, 80 MHz, 2 ch and latest X series.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2017, 07:39:58 pm »
Yes, Siglent and Rigol have good systems for model naming. Much less cryptic than many A-brands.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline JenniferGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2017, 07:04:32 am »
I bought a used GW Instek GFG-8020H function generator recently, also for audio work. Ebay item number 142233140407 its about £20 used. There are more still available on Ebay. I'm very happy with this purchase, features and condition are excellent. I did a thorough search of what is available and this was by far the best value for me. There is a lot to be said for having a dedicated piece of test equipment as opposed to something like the Analog Discovery.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and order one too since you said it's been stable.. no shifting around of signal (like in Dave's video of that other Instek signal gen).  Also the fact it only costs $23 plus $17 shipping.   I could use the money.. been buying a lot of gear & parts lately to get things going for LAoE & AoE.

Should be a suitable for LAoE right?

As I get more experience, I'll be better able to choose a path to continue on.  Just need something affordable to get going.
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2017, 05:33:14 pm »
As I get more experience, I'll be better able to choose a path to continue on.  Just need something affordable to get going.

That's a prudent approach. Enjoy LTAoE!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline JenniferGTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2017, 07:12:50 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Just bought a 8020H.  $41.50 shipped.   Look forward to upgrading later on, and will refer to this thread then.
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2017, 07:59:22 pm »
I think I'm gonna go ahead and order one too since you said it's been stable..

It's just an RC oscillator... it is going to drift in frequency with time and temperature.  If you need stability, leave it turned on for a while before use.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2017, 09:06:34 pm »
IMO, the primary and basic function generator should be analogue. Good choice would be a HP 3213 or an equivalent from Wavetek. Offers quite anything you need in a FG. I got my HP3213 for 130€ (tested, from a dealer) and if you keep your eyes open, you should be able to do as well in the U.S.
Except you decide to give the Tektronix TM500 system a chance. For all of these options, there are a lot of offers at various times. Best grabs can be done online at times when other people can't compete. Another method is to look up a serious and well stocked surplus/second-market T&M dealer and give them a visit. By doing so, you can get away with less than their official prices.
TM500 system has certain advantages for a small lab, as your mainframe can supply diverse instruments, such as Power Supplies, FG, Counter, DMM etc. Further, the modularity means that you can start with a rather cheap FG501 and replace it with a 40MHz sweeping FG504 when you need it.
Please do not listen to the voices peddling this disgusting chinese pseudo-instruments. Your T&M gear should be something you can rely on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf