Author Topic: Rigol MSO2000 series hacking  (Read 161417 times)

Offline Slappy_gTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol MSO2000 series hacking
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2014, 04:06:23 pm »
@ Milek

I don't have an Altera device, so I can't help you much there. Win 7 x86 should work just as well as my x64 version, so no problem there. Plenty of people are still using that version.

My 2 cents are to use something based on an FTDI2xxx chip, as those seem to have the best driver support.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Unlocked the Rigol MSO2072A to a MSO2302A via JTAG.  Read about how here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg498454/#msg498454

Offline milek22

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:03 am »
Gentlemen. I can not move. I "ALTERA USB BLASTER".
How to install drivers without connecting the JTAG in scope?
I wanted to check ALTERA without USB JTAG cable but how to do it?
Thanks

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2014, 11:54:00 am »
Gentlemen. I can not move. I "ALTERA USB BLASTER".
How to install drivers without connecting the JTAG in scope?
I wanted to check ALTERA without USB JTAG cable but how to do it?
Thanks
Milek, I tried again last night using the 'set remotetimeout 10' option Ubuntu but it does not work.  If you want to try, here is my connection diagram.  I am waiting for a different JTAG programmer to arrive in the mail.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:22:17 pm by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2014, 01:20:12 pm »
@Gandalf_Sr

Great diagram! One of the better ones on this site.

So, I have to ask, did you throw your money in a giant fire pit and go for the Olimex adapter?

Unlocked the Rigol MSO2072A to a MSO2302A via JTAG.  Read about how here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-mso2000-series-hacking/msg498454/#msg498454

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2014, 02:46:20 pm »
@Slappy

Thanks for the kind words about my diagram.

I ordered a bus blaster V3 from seeedstudio http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Bus-Blaster-v3-p-1415.html - it's on the FedEx truck for delivery :D so I might get to try it tonight.  It's based on the FT2232H and it's set up to work as a KT-link device (JTAGkey) under urJTAG by default.

I complained on eBay and am supposed to be getting a 90% refund on the el-cheapo 'Altera' USB Blaster plus I ordered an Olimex adapter at work so I can borrow that if all else fails  O0

I don't give up easily  :box:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:12:27 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline milek22

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2014, 04:21:31 pm »
I opened my ALTERA and a processor
  "SILABS
F321
ECLOW7
1402 "
see photo

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2014, 04:34:56 pm »
@Milek

That is not the same as my USB Blaster.  I would make the interface cable and try it and see if it works.

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2014, 06:14:58 pm »
@Milek22

I did the JTAG memory dump with a USB blaster which looks the same as yours and also uses the same chips. It worked first time for me.

I did things a bit different to  Gandalf_Sr.  I didn't connect the 3.3V supply to the scope's JTAG header and didn't connect the SRST and TRST lines to the USB blaster. Also only one of the ground pins needs to be connected. See the lower of the 2 diagrams on page 170 of the 'Sniffing the I2C bus' thread.

I used 'Universal USB Installer' (UUI) to make a boot USB pen drive. XUBUNTU 32 bit was selected for the distribution and I set a reasonable value for the persistent file size. The blackfin tool chain file I used was blackfin-toolchain-2013R1_45-RC1.i386.tar.bz2.  Note this is the 32 bit version of the toolchain.

Hope that's of help.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:16:41 pm by Macman »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2014, 06:30:15 pm »
Thanks for the input Macman.  It's good to know that someone has done the dump using a USB Blaster like the one Milek has, mine has an ST32 micro chip inside it.  I've heard others saying that the reset pins don't need to be connected.

My Bus Blaster seems to have arrived and I've made a harness cable to connect it to the MSO2072A.  I hope to attempt the dump tonight using Windows and urJTAG as per Snappy's detailed instructions at the bottom of page 5; I have left out the pull up resistors on the RST lines because they appear to be driven by the voltage level translator on the Bus Blaster.

Offline mscreations

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2014, 01:35:24 am »
I am hoping that someone can give me some help. I got my Altera USB Blaster (chinese clone) today, hooked it up and I'm getting some trouble getting bfin-gdbproxy to work. This is what I get when I run it:

Code: [Select]
# sudo ./bfin-gdbproxy --debug bfin --frequency=5000000

Remote proxy for GDB, v0.7.2, Copyright (C) 1999 Quality Quorum Inc.
MSP430 adaption Copyright (C) 2002 Chris Liechti and Steve Underwood
Blackfin adaption Copyright (C) 2008 Analog Devices, Inc.

GDBproxy comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details
use `--warranty' option. This is Open Source software. You are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. Use the
'--copying' option for details.

debug:     bfin: bfin_open ()
Found USB cable: UsbBlaster
Connected to libftdi driver.
warning: USB-Blaster frequency is fixed to 12000000 Hz
warning: TDO seems to be stuck at 0
error:     bfin: detecting parts failed
debug:     bfin: bfin_open ()
Found USB cable: UsbBlaster
error: Couldn't connect to suitable USB device.
error:     bfin: cable initialization failed

My major concern is that when I first hooked it up I *might* have had the cable included in the usb blaster connected incorrectly (it is not terribly obvious which way it should have gone). Now my question is whether the scope might be damaged or if the usb blaster might be damaged (or something else entirely).

I have tried it with the TRST and SRST pins connected and not connected.

EDIT: I've tried the USB Blaster with another JTAG device and have not had any luck either. Ordered an Olimex programmer from Sparkfun and had it overnighted. I'll give it another go when it arrives...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:44:18 am by mscreations »

Offline milek22

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2014, 10:54:31 am »
Colleagues. Please check the JTAG scheme.
I drew as suggested by a colleague Marcman.
It has to be connected to VCC 3.3V with PCB SCOPE?
Please write or diagram is OK? What drew badly?
Thanks a lot.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2014, 11:04:02 am »
Colleagues. Please check the JTAG scheme.
I drew as suggested by a colleague Marcman.
It has to be connected to VCC 3.3V with PCB SCOPE?
Please write or diagram is OK? What drew badly?
Thanks a lot.
Milek, it looks OK but you need 1 more wire. You need +3.3 volts from somewhere (most have used the pin marked VCC on the 4 pin header on the main board) to supply the voltage that will be used for the MSO2072A side of the JTAG signals.

If you took the diagram that I drew and took away the nSRST and nTRST wires, you would have your diagram plus the change I just mentioned.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2014, 11:13:00 am »
I tried the Bus Blaster V3 last night - it didn't work; I couldn't get gdb or urJTAG talking to the Bus Blaster properly.  It's the story of my life that I end up wasting time and money chasing cheap solutions, I should have just bought the Olimex device  :palm:

Although the Bus Blaster is FT2232H-based, it also uses a Xilinx CPLD that needs to be programmed and the driver support is flaky at best.  I did find a file in the support forum (that doesn't show much activity after 2012) called BBv3.zip made up by a guy called Joe Fitzpatrick that seems to show the solution to my issues so I will try his driver files tonight.

If that fails, then I will get my hands on an Olimex JARM-USB-OCD programmer next week.

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2014, 11:46:37 am »
@Gandalf_Sr
I just hope the Olimex JTAG adapter works for you. The only other thing you could have tried is using the same build of Linux and Bluefin toolchain that I used, but I guess your patience has been tried enough already and you might as well wait for the Olimex adapter because you can be sure that it should work.

@milek22
I agree with Gandalf_Sr your diagram looks good except for needing to connect 3.3v to the wire coming from pin 4 of your USB blaster. If you want to save some wiring you only need to connect to one of the ground pins at each end.

Offline milek22

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2014, 01:11:19 pm »
I made a patch.
Just like now would we?

Offline PepeK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »
I made a patch.
Just like now would we?

Seems to be ok now. I keep fingers crossed !

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2014, 02:08:07 pm »
I made a patch.
Just like now would we?

If I remember correctly the VCC pin was the second pin on the 4 pin header, you may want to check this.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2014, 02:26:30 pm »
I made a patch.
Just like now would we?

If I remember correctly the VCC pin was the second pin on the 4 pin header, you may want to check this.
AND you need to connect +3.3V to pin 1 of your JTAG-SCOPE header

Offline Macman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2014, 02:51:28 pm »
AND you need to connect +3.3V to pin 1 of your JTAG-SCOPE header

It would be best not to connect to PIN 1 of the  JTAG-SCOPE header because it is not known if the 2 3.3v supplies are derived from the same regulator. If they aren't, connecting the two together would be a bad idea. If works without connecting to pin 1, so there is no point in tempting fate.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2014, 04:56:56 pm »
I accept Macman's argument, leave pin 1 disconnected.

Offline PepeK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2014, 09:20:33 pm »
The only purpose of that 3.3V is to power an internal buffer of the JTAG adapter. I mean a circuit like 74 AHC 245 or 74 LXVC 245. Those JTAG adapters are designed for a wide family of devices, so their output buffer is powered from a target device.

There is no reason to inject 3.3V to the scope's JTAG connector and this can be dangerous as we know nothing about the designer's idea behind (how many voltage regulators are there and so on).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2014, 11:24:31 pm »
I tried the Bus Blaster V3 last night - it didn't work; I couldn't get gdb or urJTAG talking to the Bus Blaster properly.  It's the story of my life that I end up wasting time and money chasing cheap solutions, I should have just bought the Olimex device  :palm:

Although the Bus Blaster is FT2232H-based, it also uses a Xilinx CPLD that needs to be programmed and the driver support is flaky at best.  I did find a file in the support forum (that doesn't show much activity after 2012) called BBv3.zip made up by a guy called Joe Fitzpatrick that seems to show the solution to my issues so I will try his driver files tonight.

If that fails, then I will get my hands on an Olimex JARM-USB-OCD programmer next week.

Just a quick thought about why you may have had issues. The adapter I used was the one whose model number did not end in H. There have been reports of major driver issues with the high speed chip in Windows 7 and Windows 8.

In fact, read the comments on the sparkfun product page. You will see someone stating that exact point.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:26:10 pm by Slappy_g »

Offline onlooker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2014, 01:53:59 am »
A J-Link v8 may work(?). It is about $13 on ebay (understandably, it will be a clone). 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:58:34 am by onlooker »

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2014, 12:13:41 pm »
Well the Bus Blaster is not working.  Despite attempts to get help from Ian at Dangerous Prototypes, I've failed.  Anyone following this thread should learn from my mistakes, just buy the Olimex ARM-USB-OCD from Sparkfun.

Bollocks!  |O

Offline PepeK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2014, 08:25:18 pm »
I see there is a separate topic related to that unbelievable noisy fan in the Rigol's scopes, but why not to replace  a fan, when the scope is opened for JTAG dump ?

I have done it today. Let me share some noise level measurements done with a smartphone :
1. Scope is off, quiet room : 20 dB
2. Scope is on, smartphone located 10 cm in front of the scope : 50 db !

And now, when the new Noiseblocker 60 x 60 x 25 mm fan, model XR2 is installed (costs 6.50 euro) :
1. Scope is off, quiet room : 20 dB
2. Scope is on, smartphone located 10 cm  in front of the scope : 30 db, very nice, incomparable to the original fan.

Conclusion : highly recommended replacement, no risk of warranty loss, as the fan is plugged into a connector. If somebody is interested, photos can be attached.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf