Author Topic: Rigol MSO5000 Display Readability Suggestions  (Read 6043 times)

Offline NoisyBoyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Rigol MSO5000 Display Readability Suggestions
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:26:49 pm »
While I have not seen the MSO5000 in person, I have read some report of a dim display, and thought I would share some opinions and ideas with this fine community.

It appears to me the display used in the MSO5000 is based on TN technology, I have a computer monitor that is TN based, while it has excellent refresh rate and response time for gaming, the viewing angle is terrible as evident in Dave's video when he tipped the unit backward.  The contrast simply disappears when you view from an angle.  While increasing the backlight LED brightness may help to a small degree, it will only lead to higher backlight bleed-through and will not at all help with the viewing angle.  Since we may move around the bench and not always right in front of the scope, this can be a issue with some people.

OLED has excellent contrast, but it has issues with burn-in at high brightness with static images, that to me would make it less optimal for scope display, items such as the Rigol logo would surely cause burn-in over time.

That leaves IPS the best compromise in my opinion.  The cost of IPS vs. TN is not that significant, the screen being the most crucial interface in a scope, I am surprised that Rigol did not go with an IPS display for the MSO5000. 

I had worked with screen readability on computers in my career, when there is a hardware limitation, we try to compensate it with software.  In this case, I am shocked to see numerous colored text in the UI against a dark background .  Those would be marginal even in an OLED display, and would look awful in a TN display.  We had learned to not use red or magenta text in our designs.  If software development is not tightly coupled to the hardware team, it is easy for them to go off and development a pleasing UI using an emulator on a big IPS computer display, but when you run that in a small TN display, it results in a poor readability.  This can be improved in firmware by using high contrast text, make all active text white and using the box around it to show color if needed. 

Even better, switch the display to IPS, it will make it really pop against a black case. 

Interesting, when I look at some of the Rigol demo videos of the unit, it appears they capture either directly through the HDMI output or on an external monitor.  Rather than from the actual display of the unit. 

I do have one question for the community, does other scope from Siglent, Keysight, Tek, RS, etc... have this viewing angle problem?  How about units like the Siglent 1204X-E or the SDS2104X?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Rigol MSO5000 Display Readability Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 09:26:10 pm »
I do have one question for the community, does other scope from Siglent, Keysight, Tek, RS, etc... have this viewing angle problem?  How about units like the Siglent 1204X-E or the SDS2104X?
All have viewing angle issues to some degree however those with a shiny reflective display are somewhat worse like the RS that Dave used in a recent video:

https://youtu.be/XAbrU17hLTM?t=944

Most of Daves videos have him checking viewing angles, you should check them out:
https://www.eevblog.com/episodes/

Those members with the X and X-E Siglents don't have to suffer a reflective screen or poor viewing angles.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: NoisyBoy

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 09:56:09 pm »
I am surprised that Rigol did not go with an IPS display for the MSO5000. 

To stay under 1000 €/$ selling price, I guess.

And yes, the viewing angle is bad, the brightness too.
But you could work with it, after a while it doesn´t disturbing.

Those members with the X and X-E Siglents don't have to suffer a reflective screen or poor viewing angles.

Yepp, we got a Siglent X-E.

If it´s interesting, I can take Pictures in different angles from the MSO 5074 or other scopes (Siglent, Lecroy WS3024 (Siglent 3000) )

In case of the brightness, rigol told me they work on it (Firmware).

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 10:44:54 pm »
Haha, I'm sure that screen will brighten right up once they adjust the firmware to overclock it  ::)

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 10:49:28 pm »
How they will do it, I don´t know.

Rumours here speculate about they dim the display for longer lifetime.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 11:27:00 pm »
It appears to me the display used in the MSO5000 is based on TN technology, I have a computer monitor that is TN based, while it has excellent refresh rate and response time for gaming, the viewing angle is terrible as evident in Dave's video when he tipped the unit backward.  The contrast simply disappears when you view from an angle.  While increasing the backlight LED brightness may help to a small degree, it will only lead to higher backlight bleed-through and will not at all help with the viewing angle.  Since we may move around the bench and not always right in front of the scope, this can be a issue with some people.

Was the viewing angle bad when tipped backward only, and forward is ok?
Its possible they chose the "wrong" viewing angle of the LCD as well (Dave mentioned this previously, 6 or 12oclock versions). If that is the case it will look better when viewed from above.

We had a similar issue but it was never fixed because apparently its too expensive to switch to the right type.. so customer suffers with bad quality  :palm:

https://www.pacificdisplay.com/lcd_view_angles.htm
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 12:18:24 am »
That's interesting if that's a common trend across brands.  With the display panel just a small part of the overall cost, it would be interesting to see if someone will introduce a sub-$1000 scope with an IPS display to really differentiate its product.  With something like a scope, the display is what users stare at all day, this should be the one area that manufacturers should put some money in.  While the RS screen is more reflective, in at 5:40, it is in fact much brighter and with better contrast than the MSO5000, and they choose to use white text to extract even more contrast rather than the dull blue text in the Rigol.  However, I agree that with some antireflective coatings, the RS could look even so much better. 

BTW, are you saying that the Siglent scopes do not suffer as much in viewing angle changes as the Rigol?

Thanks in advance for all your insight in this topic.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 12:19:37 am »
If you can take some comparison pictures, that would be excellent!   :-+

Thank you.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 12:35:27 am »

BTW, are you saying that the Siglent scopes do not suffer as much in viewing angle changes as the Rigol?

Directed at me I guess, but use the Quote button so there is no confusion whom you're addressing.  ;)

No, all DSO's are different in that their viewing angles can be impacted on by ambient light and trace brightness too, not just the quality/style/lens overlay of their LCD/TFT's.
When products are built to a price point all manner of things can be compromised to maintain an attractive price.

Properly constructed videos by experienced reviewers go to the trouble of examining viewing angles, hunt for them.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 02:31:46 am »
Sorry about that, I should have used quote and not reply.

Thanks for your insight on this subject.

Directed at me I guess, but use the Quote button so there is no confusion whom you're addressing.  ;)

No, all DSO's are different in that their viewing angles can be impacted on by ambient light and trace brightness too, not just the quality/style/lens overlay of their LCD/TFT's.
When products are built to a price point all manner of things can be compromised to maintain an attractive price.

Properly constructed videos by experienced reviewers go to the trouble of examining viewing angles, hunt for them.  ;)

Offline typoknig

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 02:59:22 am »
For those of you who have years of experience dealing with Rigol, what is the likelihood that they will push a SW update to fix the poor display quality of already fielded units?  Also, what is the likelihood that they will upgrade their design to incorporate a better display like an IPS?  I'm in the market for my first "real" scope.  I'm dealing with low frequency signals so the DS1054Z would be sufficient if it weren't for the lack of a logic analyzer.  I plan on getting into some FPGA work within the next year or two and I figure a logic analyzer would help a lot, and it is nice to have the larger screen with a logic analyzer.  I realize I could get the MSO1074Z, but then I'm only a few hundred dollars away from the MSO5074 which has the larger screen and spec wise is a significant upgrade. 

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 10:27:37 am »
First of all, it´s not so dark that you couldn´t work with it.
But in direct comparison, it´s very dim:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/should-i-buy-a-rigol-mso5000/msg2324127/#msg2324127

( the first 30sec from the Video)

The brightness itself would be driven by software so it shouldn´t be a problem to "fix" that via firmware update.
What can´t be fixed is the angle view  - and the angle view of the mso5000 is...is….not good.  ;)
Best viewing is given if you stare directly to it, in eyes height.
This could only solved by replacing the 9" display.
Will they do it....don´t know the future.
Otherwise the mso5000 got hdmi Output, so a ext. monitor could be connected.
There are lots of chinese 10" IPS monitors on the market.

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 12:22:06 pm »
The brightness itself would be driven by software so it shouldn´t be a problem to "fix" that via firmware update.
What can´t be fixed is the angle view  - and the angle view of the mso5000 is...is….not good.  ;)
The chance it "could" be fixed in sw is low, imho.
They simply deploy a cheap display in the 5000 that is dim.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 01:47:33 pm »
How is it compared to the MSO7000 display?

Offline Commodore8888

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 02:38:15 pm »
As someone who owns a 5k, but has a few 7ks at work, I can tell you the 7k has a R&S level good screen. Maybe not AS bright, but sharp, responsive, and clear.

The 5k also has sort of a refresh shimmer that the 7k doesn't have. Doesn't seem like a framerate thing though.
Mike D

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, TK

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 08:09:34 pm »
The chance it "could" be fixed in sw is low, imho.
They simply deploy a cheap display in the 5000 that is dim.

The last thing is for sure, otherwise they couldn´t sell the scope for this price.
What the "fixing" concerns :
Even simple displays got contrast and brightness adjustments in the menu, depending from the controllerboard.
It should be possible to implement similar adjustments in the rigol menu and if I remember it right, they have it on their to-do-list what the weak brightness concerns.
(I asked for it and they confirm it).
Well, this could also mean a new display for forthcoming models…. :P
We will see.

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 06:23:41 am »
Even simple displays got contrast and brightness adjustments in the menu, depending from the controllerboard.
It should be possible to implement similar adjustments in the rigol menu and if I remember it right, they have it on their to-do-list what the weak brightness concerns.
(I asked for it and they confirm it).
They should have set the brightness to full already if possible.
Sure, hope dies last.. :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:26:01 am by imo »

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 09:42:34 pm »
The Display is from "Xinli", I did a request to rigol.
They give me also the part-number, but google to this brings no answer.

http://www.zxl-lcd.com/en/pro_show.asp?cid=471&id=1

This is a 10" from them, 200 lumen is not really bright, so we shouldn´t expect any "wonders" from, if they will fix it in future updates.
I think, the only update can be done by change the display at all.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 07:12:47 am »
The viewing angle of that TFT LCD is "6 o'clock", btw..

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 07:22:21 am »
They give me also the part-number, but google to this brings no answer.

I wrote to XinLi and now I got a datasheet for the 9" display...

Online MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 08:07:32 am »
I wrote to XinLi and now I got a datasheet for the 9" display...
Can you share it here? Or is it under NDA?

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 08:15:09 am »
Hi,

Here it is(temporary):

9inchdisplay.pdf

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, MegaVolt

Online iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 09:30:46 am »
30 LEDs, 9.6v/300mA, 2.9W 
..and dim.. :palm:

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 10:19:53 am »
Contrast ratio 1:500, surface luminance typ 360....what have rigol done with it.
Maybe the problem is the touchpanel.
Nevertheless, here an alternative type:

https://www.mouser.de/datasheet/2/271/Microtips%20Technology-8-28-2017-MTD0900GZK%20SPEC1-1181369.pdf

9", IPS, 1:600, 450cd/m2, angle view 85/85/85/85( instead of 70/70/70/50)…..

https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Microtips-Technology/MTD0900GZK-1?qs=MLItCLRbWsxjQMvFoTo2SQ%3D%3D

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 11:50:07 am »
Maybe the problem is the touchpanel.

Several Pictures taken just a few minutes ago:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf