Author Topic: Rigol MSO5074 locking up  (Read 611 times)

Offline jerrykTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol MSO5074 locking up
« on: June 09, 2023, 06:45:16 pm »
I have had a couple of events where my Rigol MSO5074 screen just locks up. Reboot seems to fix it.  When I turn it on it beeps three times during the boot sequence which is something I haven't noticed before. Another observation is that it seems to run warm both in the unit and in the decoder cable attachment.  I have attached an image of the temperature at the decoder cable.  Are these observations normal?

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 06:47:34 pm by jerryk »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Rigol MSO5074 locking up
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 11:01:13 pm »
Temperature is normal. Although you could try pointing a fan at it and seeing if it reduces the screen lockup.
Anything you are specifically doing when it froze?
Firmware is reasonably up to date I assume?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg4398940/#msg4398940
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/new-rigol-scope/msg2552004/#msg2552004
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: jerryk

Offline jerrykTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol MSO5074 locking up
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 12:26:36 am »
The first event I was measuring the flyback from a starter solenoid.  It's something I have done before without issues.  It actually put the screen in a confused state.  Reboot brought it back to normal.  I was concerned that I may have done something extraordinary and have not tried it since.  The most recent event was measuring a square wave output from an 8 bit pic microcontroller.  In both cases the power was from a DC lab power supply.  The thing that did catch my attention the most was the heat in the end of the LA cable.  That seemed odd.  I don't know enough about how that cable functions.  I'll check the firmware currency.

Thanks - Jerry

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf