Author Topic: Rigol MSO8000 Series Hack  (Read 932 times)

Offline strahd_von_zarovichTopic starter

• Contributor
Rigol MSO8000 Series Hack
« on: April 05, 2023, 11:20:11 am »
Hi everyone,
I have a Rigol MSO8064 oscilloscope. I know that nearly all other series can be hackable but has anyone tried hacking MSO8000 series? If not, how can I progress on this?

Thanks in advance.

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol MSO8000 Series Hack
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 08:26:44 pm »
Hi everyone,
I have a Rigol MSO8064 oscilloscope. I know that nearly all other series can be hackable but has anyone tried hacking MSO8000 series? If not, how can I progress on this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate  i MIGHT ( i stress)  MIGHT  have a solution for you, This however is just a theory

the Rigol MSO5000 has been hacked with a script by DrMefist0 , In summary there have been 2 options
- The Patched Method, which works but doesn't survive future upgrades
- the Fully licensed Method that does permanently survive future upgrades

we have had a good amount of success upgrading people through this method of fully licensing with the python script,
NOW THIS GOT ME THINKING...

- I've had a look through the script
- The script has options that are not just restricted to the MSO5000
- What the script basically does is.... it interrogates your scope, it looks for installed Options, Available Options and Unavailable options
   and then installs the Available and uninstalled Options

I haven't tested this yet as i don't have an MSO8000 to test it on , but we can give this a shot.

Now FIRST I NEED TO ASK A FEW QUESTIONS to even consider the feasability of this

1. You have an MSO8064 , i know that
2. What is the Firmware Version that you have in it
3. Did you get it installed with any Bundled options or additional Software options when you bought it or is it just all options locked ?

Let me know
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Offline BTO

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol MSO8000 Series Hack
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 09:33:30 pm »
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate
As you know and as per your comment on the other thread
Has anyone tried it with MSO8000 series.  :)

I have MSO8064 with all the options but, upgrading 600MHz to 2Ghz would be wonderful.  ;D
I just had a really really good look through the Python Script.
hmmm 
I SUSPECT THIS MAY BE ... A LOT EASIER THAN I ORIGINALLY THOUGHT

HERE IS HOW WE CAN PROCEED :
1. IT WOULD BE USEFUL TO HAVE OTHERS WHO UNDERSTAND PYTHON BETTER THAN MYSELF
Even though i understand Python to a good degree and coding and programming in general,
i think it may be helpful if we round up some others and have a bit of a discussion.
I do believe i can get through this on my own if need be, but.... JUST IN CASE.. Ya Know.
sometimes it's good to get another point of view.

2. WE NEED SOME MORE PEOPLE WHO HAVE MSO8000 SCOPES
I mean, so far you're the only one  :-+

NOW YOU HAVE AN MSO8064
Here is a run down on the Models in the MSO8000 Series

Model   Analog Channels   Digital Channels   Bandwidth     Sample Rate
MSO8064      4                      16 (opt)           600 MHz           10 GSa/s
MSO8074A    4                      16 (opt)           750 MHz           10 GSa/s
MSO8104      4                      16 (opt)           1 GHz               10 GSa/s
MSO8154A    4                      16 (opt)           1.50 GHz          10 GSa/s
MSO8204      4                      16 (opt)           2 GHz               10 GSa/s   
MSO8204A    4                      16 (opt)           2 GHz               10 GSa/s

Now we can sort you out since you have an MSO8000 this will be easier.
But then we need people who have MSO8100 Scopes as well,  because there will likely be a different script for
MSO8000
MSO8100
MSO8200

Beyond that  let's also get some people who have MSO8000 and even MSO7000  as i reckon i can make both of them happen.

that's how we can move forward
What are our thoughts
We can start right away on your scope if you're ready though
QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf