Author Topic: Comparison of LCR Tweezers  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Comparison of LCR Tweezers
« on: March 31, 2020, 02:23:33 pm »
I've been looking at getting some LCR tweezers but there is such a wide range of prices for what seem to be very similar capabilities.  I don't really want calibrated 0.1% accuracy, I just want to find if the components on a PCB are OK or not.  In that respect the addition of a diode test capability seems desirable.  I made an offer on some Smart Tweezer ST52SAD on eBay yesterday but my $240 offer was refused on an item that they were asking $256 for - won't the guy even give me 6% off when he wants $16 for shipping as well?  I'd be happy to pay $150 for quality but these seem like they are overpriced for what is in them.  If the 20$ component tester was turned into a pair of tweezers, it would do a great job IMHO.

Anyway, I'm in no rush.  I see that there are cheaper Smart Tweezers that have no diode function at around $133 and then there are a bunch of Mastech MS8910 tweezers that include a diode function that I can get for as low as $24 shipped from China.

Can anyone who owns a set of these - high or low end - give me more information on how good or bad the different offerings are?

Thanks in advance.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Comparison of LCR Tweezers
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 06:35:47 pm »
Don't be so miserable, get a decent set !  :P

I've had a set of ST3's for a decade or more and paid similar money for them way back then.
Curiosity had me buy a cheap set of Mastech's a few years later and they just don't compare to a decent tool. I gave them to a buddy.

Anyways these now old ST3's have been brilliant and should anything happen to them I'd replace then with ones of similar quality in a flash. I use them a lot for TH fault finding too as the one handed operation beats the snot out of using a DMM.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 10:32:15 pm »
Just ordered some LCR Research Pro Plus 1 tweezers.  I liked the fact that it has very high accuracy and can test diodes and LEDs too.  I ordered via Amazon for the ability to get free Prime fast shipping to reach me by Saturday plus I can return with zero cost or hassle.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline MiniWare

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 02:19:16 am »
Maybe miniware's upcoming DT71 mini digital tweezers are right for you. DT71 has a relatively low price (about $70 USD), which can measure resistance, capacitance, inductance, frequency, diode, voltage. It is said that they have mailed one to Dave Jones for review.
ADDED BY MOD: Miniware manufacturers account.

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 02:33:16 am »
I had several sets (different makes at the sub $100 range) which I returned  :(

They ALL failed on the 'mechanical' construction - I was unable to handle the SMD devices securely - sometimes - the required pressure to 'clamp' the device under test , resulted in slippage (because of misalignment in the needlepoint tweezers tips) the and the resultant SMD component flying across the bench  |O

The 'electronic' part - making the measurement - even in the cheap devices was OK - but major fail in the mechanical construction quality.

Recommendation - check the mechanical construction FIRST  ;)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 03:30:46 am »
Maybe miniware's upcoming DT71 mini digital tweezers are right for you. DT71 has a relatively low price (about $70 USD), which can measure resistance, capacitance, inductance, frequency, diode, voltage. It is said that they have mailed one to Dave Jones for review.
Good luck with that.
Dave reviewed ST3 some years back and failed to see the real usefulness of them.  ::)
Maybe he's seen the light ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 12:53:03 am »

Any information online yet? I can't find anything.
These are $85 but lacking a bit in features: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Tweezers-Colibri-ST-5C-LCR-ESR-tool-like-ST-5S/184347815519 no diode/voltage. ~3V for diode would be useful.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 01:02:35 am »

Any information online yet? I can't find anything.
These are $85 but lacking a bit in features: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Tweezers-Colibri-ST-5C-LCR-ESR-tool-like-ST-5S/184347815519 no diode/voltage. ~3V for diode would be useful.
Cheap, grab them quick before others do.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Doctorandus_P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 07:00:28 am »
I've got the Mastech MS8910 and am quite happy with it.

"out of the box" it does not work properly. The alignment of the tweezers is not good enough to grab SMT components reliably (Even 1206)
The tips are adjustable and replaceable (it comes with 2 sets). With a little bit of bending under a stereo microscope and alignment with some pliers they line up perfectly now. This took me about 5 minutes.

At first I was also a bit apprehensive for the CR2032 button cell. I have this thing for more years than I can remember now (Probably > 5) and it still works on it's first battery.

Offline MiniWare

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 07:12:08 am »
Now I only know that DT71 lcr tweezers can measure current, resistance, inductance, frequency, diode, voltage. And can be used as a signal generator.
miniware said they gave dave a DT71 for review, I'm waiting that.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 09:18:22 pm »
Now I only know that DT71 lcr tweezers can measure current, resistance, inductance, frequency, diode, voltage. And can be used as a signal generator.
miniware said they gave dave a DT71 for review, I'm waiting that.

Some info online: https://www.sohu.com/a/368535696_747332
The design is wild.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:59:02 pm by thm_w »

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 09:31:33 pm »
I've got the Mastech MS8910 and am quite happy with it.

"out of the box" it does not work properly. The alignment of the tweezers is not good enough to grab SMT components reliably (Even 1206)
The tips are adjustable and replaceable (it comes with 2 sets). With a little bit of bending under a stereo microscope and alignment with some pliers they line up perfectly now. This took me about 5 minutes.

At first I was also a bit apprehensive for the CR2032 button cell. I have this thing for more years than I can remember now (Probably > 5) and it still works on it's first battery.
try the MS8911 they are wayyyyy better, for some $ more. night and day.

The following users thanked this post: pfm, ober

Offline MiniWare

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 01:53:26 am »
Youtube have 2 review video of DT71, It's so small, and so cool.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf