Author Topic: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown  (Read 297038 times)

BadFairy and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown
« Reply #1325 on: October 09, 2023, 03:47:28 pm »
We just use a wireless Logitek Keyboard and Mouse, both work on our Siglent. Just plug in the wireless USB dongle (we use a USB expander) and the scope recognizes both and it just works. Altho we don't generally need/use the keyboard, the mouse is always handy.

External keyboards won't work with the DHO 800/900 (so far), but the mouse should -- without an extra driver as you said, whether wireless or via cable. So "any old mouse" should do, with the exception of Bluetooth-based models.

Offline JOSM

• Contributor
« Reply #1326 on: October 09, 2023, 05:10:17 pm »
I have just tried a wireless mouse via USB dongle on my DHO812 and can confirm that it works.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 05:14:13 pm by JOSM »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1327 on: October 09, 2023, 05:25:14 pm »
External keyboards won't work with the DHO 800/900 (so far), but the mouse should

More correctly: They work, but they don't do much. The UI isn't designed for keyboard input.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1328 on: October 09, 2023, 05:32:02 pm »
I'd want WiFi and a mouse and probably USB stick. I guess that means a hub...

(Is there such a thing as a wireless USB hub?? )

Has anybody managed to install an FTP program on one of these? FTP access to screenshots is incredibly useful on my Micsig.

Maybe there's a neat way to capture screens on the PC via the web interface without having to copy/paste/crop/save each one individually. Or maybe use SCPI. It's not as good as just pressing a screenshot button on the 'scope though.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 05:37:20 pm by Fungus »

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1329 on: October 09, 2023, 05:47:39 pm »
I wish some scope one day implements a function to save screenshots/capture logs to a remote NAS folder directly, like most office-class MFU do for scanned documents - for example Canon MF644 that I recently bought. It can also save directly to a PC, but it requires some client software running on it, while NAS is supported natively. Incredibly useful feature!

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1330 on: October 09, 2023, 05:59:32 pm »
External keyboards won't work with the DHO 800/900 (so far), but the mouse should

More correctly: They work, but they don't do much.

I'll try that one on the job someday: "Of course I worked all day, boss! I just didn't do much."  ;)

Agree, technically the keyboard is recognized by the OS. But if you can't even enter number via the keyboard, in a situation where the scope lets you input them via a virtual touch keyboard, I would still say that the keyboard does not work (in the scope application).

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1331 on: October 09, 2023, 06:01:28 pm »
I have just tried a wireless mouse via USB dongle on my DHO812 and can confirm that it works.

Thanks! How do you like the on-screen touch UI and the screen in general? Is it largen enough to be useful for your taste?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1332 on: October 09, 2023, 06:31:32 pm »
Thanks! How do you like the on-screen touch UI

One thing is sure: When something has this many options and settings available then anything else is going to be much worse.

eg. Could you imagine using your PC or phone using just six buttons and a rotary encoder?

I'll be getting a stylus and/or mouse with mine. A stylus is much more precise than a finger.

The following users thanked this post: csuhi17

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1333 on: October 09, 2023, 06:52:37 pm »
Maybe there's a neat way to capture screens on the PC via the web interface without having to copy/paste/crop/save each one individually. Or maybe use SCPI. It's not as good as just pressing a screenshot button on the 'scope though.

On my trusty DS1054Z I love Peter Dreisiebner's "Bildschirmkopie". Triggering the capture right from the PC, then either copy/pasting it right into a document or saving it under a meaningful name (which I can enter using an actual keyboard!) is a great workflow for my taste. And it is really snappy, especially over the USB connection.

Peter, who is active as "PeDre" on this forum, mentioned a while ago that the program should also work with the MSO5000 series, since Rigol's SCPI commands are pretty consistent across their product lines. So it might work with the DHO series too? If it doesn't, maybe Peter is willing to consider requests.  ;)

Bildschirmkopie has been stable for a few years now. It can still be downloaded from Peter's website: https://www.dreisiebner.at/temp/rigol-bildschirmkopie.zip

The following users thanked this post: mwb1100

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1334 on: October 09, 2023, 07:02:19 pm »
Could you imagine using your PC or phone using just six buttons and a rotary encoder?

I do remember using my phone via just a rotary encoder.  :)

No doubt having the touch screen is a nice extra; and if I should find it too fiddly, I can always use a stylus, a mouse, or the knobs and buttons for all routine settings.

But the touch controls take room on the screen, and on the DHO 800/900 with its already small and 16:9 screen, they leave a relatively narrow "letterbox" area for the trace display. So one does pay a price for the touch funtionality in terms of screen real estate. Hence my questions around usability.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 07:07:07 pm by ebastler »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1335 on: October 09, 2023, 09:28:32 pm »
But the touch controls take room on the screen, and on the DHO 800/900 with its already small and 16:9 screen, they leave a relatively narrow "letterbox" area for the trace display.

Yes, but you get a small device in exchange.

If you feel it's a problem then go for the DHO1000.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1336 on: October 09, 2023, 09:39:01 pm »
Hmm...
Touchscreen has indeed it´s limits the smaller it goes.
I already had problems with the DHO4204 to hit the right spot, this will not get better with a smaller screen.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1337 on: October 09, 2023, 09:42:56 pm »
I'll be getting a stylus and/or mouse with mine. A stylus is much more precise than a finger.
IMHO needing a mouse to drive a touchscreen based device means the UI hasn't been designed properly to begin with. Your comparison with a smartphone is on point; if they can do it for a smartphone, it should be doable for an oscilloscope. The key is to hide controls which aren't strictly needed. Like MicSig does for example.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1338 on: October 09, 2023, 10:10:25 pm »
IMHO needing a mouse to drive a touchscreen based device means the UI hasn't been designed properly to begin with.

It looks usable in the videos I've seen, but I'm sure there's somebody who'll complain.

I'm very used to using a stylus with my touchscreen laptop so it seems like the way to go.

Maybe it won't be - I don't use one with my Micsig but that doesn't have draggable windows or little close buttons.

We'll see when it arrives ... but I'm definitely going to try all three options (finger/mouse/stylus).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1339 on: October 09, 2023, 10:11:51 pm »
IMHO needing a mouse to drive a touchscreen based device means the UI hasn't been designed properly to begin with.
Agreed however a mouse speeds usage and when scroll wheel capability is available adjusting numeric values for some settings is much more convenient and faster.
Then of course you can instead enter a new value with a virtual keyboard.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1340 on: October 09, 2023, 11:11:13 pm »
I wish some scope one day implements a function to save screenshots/capture logs to a remote NAS folder directly, like most office-class MFU do for scanned documents - for example Canon MF644 that I recently bought. It can also save directly to a PC, but it requires some client software running on it, while NAS is supported natively. Incredibly useful feature!
Like attached ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Offline akkk44

• Contributor
« Reply #1341 on: October 10, 2023, 08:12:22 am »
I output a NTSC bi-level sync signal from a sync generator but my DHO804 can not trigger with any video trigger type while my siglent 1102x-c can. |O Can someone here please confirm?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 08:21:28 am by akkk44 »

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #1342 on: October 10, 2023, 10:21:43 am »
you can make PC client software to automate what you need through VISA driver..

More correctly: They work, but they don't do much. The UI isn't designed for keyboard input.
they dont, partly. i just tried my wireless mouse+keyboard Gigabyte K7590... mouse does work, but when i tried to enter filename to save in local disk, dialog box that has on screen keyboard doesnt respond to my wireless keyboard, but the scope does respond to any keys when it asks "Press any key to exit" when i preview saved screenshot.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline kirill_maker

• Contributor
« Reply #1343 on: October 10, 2023, 11:42:28 am »
Hi! All!

I have a question - can I use 2nd channel on DHO804 as EXT trigger? - I need to align VHS VCR tape path, and still waiting delivery of my 804...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 11:48:42 am by kirill_maker »

Offline Cees

• Contributor
« Reply #1344 on: October 10, 2023, 11:48:28 am »
Yes you can select all channels for external trigger

Offline kirill_maker

• Contributor
« Reply #1345 on: October 10, 2023, 11:49:43 am »
Thanks, will try after it will arrive :)

And have someone tried that battery pack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbBq1AVIQAc&pp=ygUOZGhvODAwIGJhdHRlcnk%3D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 11:55:07 am by kirill_maker »

Offline Cees

• Contributor
« Reply #1346 on: October 10, 2023, 11:51:08 am »
I have the 924S so yes I tried it
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 11:52:52 am by Cees »

Offline JOSM

• Contributor
« Reply #1347 on: October 10, 2023, 01:37:33 pm »
Thanks! How do you like the on-screen touch UI

For my taste the screen is quite small. And some of the functionality can be reached via touch menus only. I found my Owon XDS2102A easier to operate. Maybe I just need to get used to the touchscreen operation yet?
The smaller footprint of the rigol is a plus though.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 09:00:09 am by JOSM »

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1348 on: October 10, 2023, 03:44:10 pm »
Hi! All!

I have a question - can I use 2nd channel on DHO804 as EXT trigger?
That is not the accepted meaning of "EXT trigger".  But yes you can select it or any of the other three input channels as the trigger source.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1349 on: October 10, 2023, 04:08:47 pm »
I have the 924S so yes I tried it

Umm -- tried what exactly? The piggyback battery pack mentioned in the post before yours? That would have been quick!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf