Author Topic: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown  (Read 296794 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown
« Reply #600 on: September 10, 2023, 08:06:16 pm »
Some more for comparison...now at 1V p-p

How was the second photo produced ?
Vertical zoom of the first of course.
An 8-bit oscilloscope will not have had the info to create what you have in the second image from the information captured in the first image.
They were from a prerelease 12 bit SDS1204X HD.

SDS1204XHD is £4k. :o
It won't be. Don't confuse it with SDS2000X HD models.
I can't see the dark green.
Sorry, but I prefer it for its trace sharpness.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: StillTrying

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #601 on: September 10, 2023, 08:38:38 pm »

You're right i was. :palm:  I can't find a price for that one.
I quite like thin traces, but can barely see dark green or dark blue on black.

If I swap some of the dark green for the same brighter green as the C4 it's fine. :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 09:12:41 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #602 on: September 10, 2023, 08:42:03 pm »
Trace colors are free choosable on all siglent touchscreen models, I'm pretty sure that will be the case with the new 1000X HD as well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 08:46:15 pm by Martin72 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #603 on: September 10, 2023, 08:43:27 pm »

You're right i was. :palm:  I can't find a price for that one.
You won't, we don't even know until a week or 2 before official release.  :(
Best we can do is have an educated guess and you will find such discussion in the SDS1000X HD thread.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Dacian

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #604 on: September 10, 2023, 10:54:56 pm »
They were from a prerelease 12 bit SDS1204X HD.

OK that make sense if it is a 12bit oscilloscope. So it seem there will be more choice available tho I doubt there will be any under $500 12bit 4 channel available anytime soon.

The DHO814's x20 of a stopped waveform looks better than I was expecting. :)

The SDS1204XHD's screen plotting is higher resolution, might be better, diffcult to tell with the different speeds and rendering.

DHO814's waveform plotting area is 1000 x 412 pixels, the SDS1204XHD's is 844 x 480.

Don't know the SDS1204XHD's price.
I can't see the dark green.

It will not make sense to do more than 10x zoom with a 12bit oscilloscope.
Since both oscilloscopes are 12bit the resolution will be the same is all about the noise.
I'm sure both can do 1000 pixels on x but is a bit strange they chose 480 means they use divide by 8 instead of by 10.
The SDS1204X HD is likely equivalent to Rigol DHO1204
DHO804 is $399 vs  DHO1074 $999 and likely lowest cost SDS1xx4X HD will be around the same $1000

I can not justify $1000 for the DHO1074 when DHO804 is $400. The smaller size and USB input power are a plus for my use case.
There was no much interest up to now on 12bit scopes because they where in a very different price bracket.
8 bit will still have its place for better horizontal resolution as you can have a faster 8bit ADC and 8bit takes less space in memory.

One thing I notice is that Rigol uses antialiasing for both text and graph while Siglent is not.
That also explain why they need 412 pixels instead of 410.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 11:00:49 pm by Dacian »

Offline Nikki Smith

• Contributor
    • Raspberry Pi, ARM SBCs & electronics hackery
« Reply #605 on: September 11, 2023, 01:07:49 pm »
For use with the DHO900 (and hopefully the DHO800 after a few mods?) I've created a new v3.1 of the 16-channel LA clone board that is cheaper to make and easier to hand-solder:
https://climbers.net/sbc/clone-pla2216-logic-probe-analyzer/

The PCB has dual footprints for the quad-channel SN65LVDS391, so you can use SOIC or TSSOP packages depending on which is cheaper (or available in stock).

KiCad source files included, as are GERBERs and BOMs for LCSC & Mouser. Should be around US$15 incl components and PCB.
!! I haven't tested it !! My shiny new scope hasn't arrived yet...

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Mechatrommer, Kean, Swake, ebastler, ch_scr, dreamcat4, Veteran68

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #606 on: September 11, 2023, 05:48:27 pm »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, thm_w, Kean, Swake, Fungus, Mortymore, iMo, Vachik, JOSM, Nikki Smith

Online tv84

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #608 on: September 11, 2023, 06:02:09 pm »
Some more diy:

https://youtu.be/MbBq1AVIQAc?si=P2TCHVbFpOiuOEis

That's some quality work.

(I wonder how long the battery lasts though...)

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #609 on: September 11, 2023, 06:21:00 pm »
21700 batteries, 1hour he wrote..

https://github.com/LorenceChen/DHO800_BatteryPack
I got to the very edge of the abyss, but since then I have already taken a step forward..

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #610 on: September 11, 2023, 06:34:12 pm »
21700 batteries, 1hour he wrote..

OK.  :-+

I thought they were 16850s and were only going to last 20 minutes or so.

I'd have made a 3D printed bracket to hold a big USB powerbank, but that's just me. His is much prettier. :)

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #611 on: September 11, 2023, 06:56:31 pm »
its such a small device, but such a high idle power draw. so to get a decent battery life i would suggest hotswap powertool battery interface. however then you have an added problem of having to shutdown inbetween swapping the empty battery for a fresh battery. once it falls down below servicable voltage level.

another consideration is (for a typical 20v or 40v power tool battery)... how to do the step down for keeping a good clean enough power. if the scope internally can handle and filter noise without the burden being so much on the battery pack itself. to keep good measurement performance within the scope readings.

and then testing all that to know and verify you are aware how reliable the scope readings can be trusted on such step down battery source.

so those are the set of challenge for integrating that. to take the makita lxt or xgt battery packs... but is it overall feasible option compared to the other previously discussed options? the set of trade offs.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #612 on: September 11, 2023, 07:01:54 pm »
added problem of having to shutdown inbetween swapping the empty battery for a fresh battery.

That's easy...

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #613 on: September 11, 2023, 07:30:58 pm »
That's easy...

Or just plug in the power supply?

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #614 on: September 11, 2023, 07:56:55 pm »
ok then for the physical aspects. for power tool battery that does then require 2 adapter interfaces. with enough room around periphery to accommodate different sized (different capacity) battery packs. which is then sizing and placement considerations

given how small this scope is then really thats 1 on either side then i guess? with a frame around the whole thing. or maybe both underneath / underslung at bottom is the other realistic option. again with a sort of exo-skeleton camera style frame.

and when not vesa mounted... to remove 1 battery would be to have either open frame. or a kickstand, or 'screw in leg(s)' on one or both sides to stop it falling over.

however when vesa mounted then such a frame would not really be needed. or if you made an overhanging? stand that is mounted onto the vesa. that then has a generous overhang to give room underneath. (i forget the right words).

above the scope would also be an option but idk who would really prefer that location or why it would be better. anyhow keeping back area clear for cooling + vesa mounting + all of the other rear connections.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #615 on: September 11, 2023, 08:16:31 pm »
That's easy...

I think the point of battery power is that you don't have one.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #616 on: September 12, 2023, 12:11:40 am »
Some more diy:

Wow  :clap:

If I was to do it I'd use standard camera batteries like say the Sony NW-F970. But they would protrude a lot.
So just an off the shelf battery bank would work a treat with a suitable mounting, but it woudl block the airflow vents.
The one pictured here is so perfect in terms of form factor that Rigol should manufacture it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 01:26:27 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: Howardlong, JOSM

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #617 on: September 12, 2023, 12:50:22 am »
That's easy...

I think the point of battery power is that you don't have one.

I have not experienced many field swappable battery powered instruments that remain powered. Is that Tek unique? And for an o-scope?

But the first thing I thought of for this app was a 10+k mah battery bank. Bummer... I do like the notion of 90Wh laptop packs.

Offline Dacian

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #618 on: September 12, 2023, 01:23:40 am »
I see that my DHO804 ordered from Aliexpress was shipped (I did not expected it will be shipped so soon).
Yes due to high power consumption a small battery will not last long. Lucky mine will be connected to the 24V house battery that is many kWh so not an issue :) just need a step down DC-DC converter. I will keep the DS1054z to make a comparison before selling it.
If you need some specific comparison ask and I will try to do if possible.

Offline Swake

• Frequent Contributor
When it fits stop using the hammer

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #620 on: September 12, 2023, 07:51:41 am »
The usb-c powerback makes sense for simplicity. But then can you hotswap them with the scope running?

So having an adapter, with dual power tool batteries for the continuus running. Can recharge them rapidly (before the other battery runs out), and also their sizes are not restricted to 100wh for legal reasons (unlike other solutions). For example a typical 5ah Makita LXT is indeed about 100wh (which is the same size as the largest laptop battery can be)... however you can also get even larger ones. Or some smaller ones. And it's a good reuse for the environment to share batteries across devices.

What i doesn't offer though is LiFeO4 cells, which would indeed be even better for the environment. These solutions could all be researched a bit further.

Offline Nx-1997

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #621 on: September 13, 2023, 12:48:14 am »
Well mine arrived in 9 days. Good guy Aliexpress undervalued the scope in customs form thus lowering import tax. Total cost (including shipping and tax) was $582 CAD or $429 USD. Rigol Canada lists price at $527 CAD before shipping and tax.

Scope is tiny and the multi grid layout is pretty good but not as versatile as lecroy's grid layout options.

FFT update speed is faster than MSO5K, boots up a bit faster as well. Color graded FFT is still garbage, just a marketing gimmick. Color grading is not as good as MSO5K, might be due to waveform update speed.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, thm_w

Offline Dacian

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #622 on: September 13, 2023, 01:23:15 am »
Well mine arrived in 9 days. Good guy Aliexpress undervalued the scope in customs form thus lowering import tax. Total cost (including shipping and tax) was $582 CAD or $429 USD. Rigol Canada lists price at $527 CAD before shipping and tax.

Mine will end up 569.32 CAD + 31.25CAD = 600.57 CAD so around 443USD. Just paid the import tax today but I think parcel is still in China and will arive with UPS that means I will need to arrange a pickup as address is a PO Box.
I guess color grading may be worse due to the way they interpret the 12bit data vs just 8bit.
I have a DSA815-TG so not that interested in the FFT capability.

Edit: Just checked the Rigol Canada and it showed the shipping as free so with Tax for Saskatchewan I will have saved maybe about 15CAD but it is not relevant.
I will get half the cost by selling the DS1054Z but I want to compare them first mostly the 12bit vs 8bit part to see what the usable ADC resolution is in both cases.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 01:34:45 am by Dacian »

Offline svetlov

• Contributor
« Reply #623 on: September 13, 2023, 07:42:48 am »
Some more diy:

dears! I can't share your initial delight - there are several errors in this design
the place where RIGOL's honeycomb-shaped ventilation holes and the printed structure located on top with honeycomb passages do not match - and is also too high - this will certainly impede the circulation of heat flows inside RIGOL
a small modification will correct and improve the entire design
From this design it is necessary to remove the central part of the honeycomb of such a size that a 120 mm fan will fit exactly into the free space! If it works by blowing outward - at a low speed close to very quiet noise - then Rigol will thank you - you can leave this space free from the fan - but still this part should not contain honeycombs
     the second question - this may not be confirmed - what kind of interference will the inductor installed on the additional board of the DC-DC converter have?
because all this can make a lot of noise
this article is useful to read
https://www.radiokot.ru/circuit/analog/measure/31/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 07:44:32 am by svetlov »

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #624 on: September 13, 2023, 08:08:17 am »
My opinion is that the entire rear plastic cover should be removed totally. And then the drilling of holes directly into the large die cast aluminum heatsink, to screw in some decent sized standoffs (between m4 - m6). To restore mechanical mounting points that isn't just relying on plastics thanks all the same...

This can then give with long enough standoffs the necessary room behind for mounting proper sized fan etc. And you can still have vesa mounting capability at 100mm x 100mm spacing... just drill your holes accurately. And basically you end up with a familiar extendable cage standoffs design. That we should all recognize in other equipment.

For the noise interference from power source: This is indeed a great question and concern. To compare against the stock power supply (lite-on?) that Rigol includes with the scope itself. And also check how the power is filtered coming in. Perhaps it's a good idea to then re-test the scope with alternative different power source. Whether it's a custom made battery pack. Or otherwise any random usb-c power banks from china - not all is as good as each other. And some is total garbage.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 08:10:51 am by dreamcat4 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf