Author Topic: Rohde & Schwarz RTO1024 upgrade ??  (Read 18597 times)

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rohde & Schwarz RTO1024 upgrade ??
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2019, 03:27:16 am »
The touchscreen vertical axis is flipped if you use the default Windows touchscreen driver. Search for "eGalax driver" to find the software from the display manufacturer. This software will restore the correct vertical orientation of touchscreen tracking. The eGalax calibration app is linked from within the RTx.exe software, so this must be reasonably close to the official configuration, but the "T-SCREEN LOCK" button doesn't work, so it isn't exact. Also, eGalax seems to crash every few hours and the touch screen locks up. You can get it working again by doing a Disable/Enable on the touch screen mouse in Device Manager.

If anyone knows the right way to set this up, I'd love to hear!

Offline Xavier64

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2019, 06:11:04 am »
install this driver:

https://www.eeti.com/touch_driver/Win10/20230414/eGalaxTouch_5.14.0.23406-Release-230406-SingleTouchDev.zip

nothing should crash, I run my scope with Windows 7 embedded and ALL updates without any issues.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 09:58:36 pm by Xavier64 »

The following users thanked this post: dmendesf

Offline dmendesf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2019, 03:16:25 am »
Thanks, this driver worked after some fiddling. (Had to disable the instrument so screen calibration could run then enable back the instrument).

Offline sergeyklenov

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2019, 08:16:21 am »
Maybe someone here can help me. I have a RTO1022 that came with XP / 2gb RAM. The harddisk crashed. I used jjoonathan publised steps to reinstall it with Windows 7. Only things I may have done differently was that I didn't install any Windows update before running  RS firmware install 3.70.1.0 and also run RS firmware install 3.70.1.0 as Administrator. It installed a lot of software and drivers and rebooted. The first time it installed some FPGA firmware and rebooted again. Next time it tries to start but gives the error below and shuts down windows (not a clean shutdown). Any Ideia of what can be wrong?

For note. Each device while start saves DeviceFootprint_*.xml file on disk. In x86 versions on c:\ and later it stores in C:\ProgramData....

This file contains all info about device. So if you move disk image to another scope this file will not match and software will give you error.
So need find this file and delete. New one will be created in next start of program.

Regards!

The following users thanked this post: dmendesf

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2019, 06:44:37 pm »
If anyone else worries about how hot R&S runs their unobtainium ADCs, here's how to run the fans a little faster and thereby obtain 10°C cooler running temperatures. If common knowledge is to be trusted, this should ~double the lifetime.

1. File > Maintenance > Service, enter "16052008f" into the Password field, and press the enter key. If successful, the text should disappear from the "Password" box.

2. File > Service 2 > Frontend Temps. Tick "GetHwTemperatures." Write down "FAN1 adjust" and "FAN2 adjust" (91 and 89 on mine). You can observe the thermal regulation by waiting for an ADC to wander above 100°C, watch "FAN1 adjust" briefly increase, followed by the ADC wandering back below 100°C.

3. Edit C:\ProgramData\Rohde-Schwarz\RTO\EEPROM\Frontend\Config.ini, changing ADCTEMP_OFFSET_CH* from -41 to -31.

4.  File > Maintenance > Frontend. This is where shit gets real and I must pause for a moment to remind you that I am describing a procedure that worked on *my* scope, not selling you a free insurance policy for modifying *your* scope. Once you decide to accept the risk, press "Flash frontend EEPROM" and "OK." A dialog should pop up "Flashing device in progress, please wait. Do not turn off the device!" In about 5 seconds, the dialog should disappear and you should see "Flashing successfully finished." in the upper right corner.

5. File > Exit

6. Wait for a few seconds and restart RTx.exe. If you did not wait long enough, it will launch/exit, and you should wait a bit longer before trying again.

7. Once the scope app has started, the new settings should be active.

Verification 1: in a quiet room, you should be able to hear difference in fan speed.

Verification 2: File > Maintenance > Frontend > (scroll to bottom) > ADC temp offset should be the new value -31 instead of the old value -41.

Verification 3: File > Maintenance > Service > Password: 16052008f, (press enter, text disappears), File > Service 2 > Frontend Temps, (tick GetHwTemperatures), FAN1 adjust should now be consistently higher than the value you wrote down in step 2. On my RTO, under the ambient temperatures of my bench, the steady state FAN1 adjust increases from ~91 to ~115 after applying this change.

General background information: the EEPROM gets read from the frontend and written to C:\ProgramData\Rohde-Schwarz\RTO\EEPROM\Frontend every time RTX.exe starts. When you modify a ini or dat file in that folder and choose "Flash frontend EEPROM," the files in C:\ProgramData\Rohde-Schwarz\RTO\EEPROM\Frontend get written to EEPROM. Same goes for the mainboard etc.

Happy hacking!

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2019, 07:00:40 pm »
Here is my C:\ProgramData\Rohde-Schwarz\RTO\EEPROM for reference.

There are no options stored in it. Those are on the smartcard, including bandwidth options, so I don't think it's such a big issue to share EEPROMs. I'm currently trying to figure out if there's anything I can do to clean up the frequency response: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rto1000-fancy-bnc/

There are some promising registers in C:\ProgramData\Rohde-Schwarz\RTO\Dump, namely RTC1.EQ1.EQ1_COEF_BANK_0.ram and the like that suggest there might be an equalization filter available, but I haven't figured out which EEPROM settings feed into it, or even which settings might be used to tweak poles inside the amplifier / ADC.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2019, 12:30:12 pm »
My RTO1024 oscilloscope bios chip program is broken, the machine cannot start, can anyone help me copy the content of this chip, thank you

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2019, 12:31:01 pm »
I need the program file of this EEPRPOM, can anyone help me copy the program file of this chip, thank you

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2019, 12:44:20 pm »
hi,jjoonathan, i need you help

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2019, 04:06:25 am »
Here's the BIOS EEPROM from my notes. I'm in the middle of a project right now so I don't want to open my scope, but this weekend I'll get you a copy of that atmel chip.

Good luck!

The following users thanked this post: Belgarath

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2019, 05:28:12 am »
Thank you, I have this file. I use SPI to program with a programmer, but it still fails to start normally. I suspect it is a problem with burning some address settings. I need the original file of your bios chip and you need to read it from the sst25vf016b chip.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2019, 05:43:55 am »
Ah, that must have been the fie from the firmware then. Sorry, my bad! Here's the other one in my notes folder. These are the only two, so this should be it.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2019, 12:02:26 pm »
The rto1024 system can start again, but cannot run the oscilloscope software.

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2019, 07:19:58 pm »
I'm glad to hear it's booting! I'll get you the mainboard EEPROM just as soon as I can open up my scope, but that probably won't be until the weekend.

Offline myhobo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2020, 02:56:14 am »
jjoonathan, can you provide me this eeprom file? thanks

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2020, 04:41:20 am »
I forgot how many screws were in this thing -- this is probably the last time I volunteer to go inside out of generosity alone. Here is the EEPROM. Good luck!

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2020, 01:04:58 pm »
Does anybody know if it is possible to upgrade an RTO1000 from Win7 to Win10?

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2020, 04:39:04 pm »
Ah, you were asking about Win 7->10 not Win XP->7, so this thread doesn't actually answer your question. My bad!

I do have some info for you, though: the "firmware" installer works on Win10 in that it drops the app and drivers in place. I ran it in one of those free-from-Microsoft Internet Explorer compatibility test VMs once, so there was no actual oscilloscope hardware and as a result the app did not run, but their coding style is very by-the-book (stub drivers, communication through COM) so I bet it Just Works if you install Windows 10.

I didn't actually go forward with installing Windows 10 on my scope because Win7 works and I don't want Win10-isms like background updates to Candy Crush or bundled advertisements to tank my framerate.

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2020, 05:28:19 pm »
Thanks and no problem.

The reason I am asking is that I actually installed win10 on my RTO, and to avoid issues with background updates and other installations of win10 bogus bloatware, I installed the Enterprise 2019 LTSC version, which should not have this problem.
The installation went well, but while installing firmware version 3.70, a win10 error popped up initiating a restart, after which the operating system refused to boot.
All win10 repair attempts failed, so the only way to get Win10 to boot was to restore it to before the firmware installation.
I also tried to install firmware version 4.75, and this installation actually completed, but after the required reboot Win10 ran into the same problem

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2020, 02:54:38 pm »
Good call on the LTSC version. Sounds like the drivers really are incompatible, though. Since neither 3.7 nor 4.5 drivers prevented my win10 VM from booting, I suspect it's actual code that's breaking, not just a silly metadata version compatibility check or something. Bummer.

In addition to the critical drivers and services (a PCIe driver for the analog front end, a SPI driver (over USB, maybe?) to load EEPROMs and such, and a service to read licenses off the smartcard) there are a bunch of less-necessary ones. If the problem is with one of those, there might be hope. I'd check by booting into safe mode and disabling the critical stuff in device manager. If that fixes the boot, it's bad news, and means the problem is with a critical driver. If not, it's good news, and you could track down the non-critical culprit, disable it, and be good to go.

Even if that didn't work, permissions are another "silly" thing that tends to mess with compatibility and ultimately be fixable. There might be some hope down that road, but I'm not a windows driver guy, so I don't know if there are "compatibility" flags to set on drivers like there are on EXEs.

Obviously I'm just throwing things at the wall, here. It really depends how far you want to chase this down. Good luck and keep us updated if you decide to give it another round!

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2020, 10:23:37 am »
Thanks for the feedback, and I will try to dig into this a little further, and will let you know if there is anything to report

Offline Diesus

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2021, 02:19:03 am »
@myhobo
I hope that you can help me.
Im saw a oscilloscope RTO1024 in ebay, so I'm thinking to buy it or not and it depends of your response so this oscilloscope has the same issues that your reported with self alignment failing, and even didn't detect the channels. I attached the pictures with the issue.
Can you tell me the last status of your investigation? Was you able to fix it?
This to understand if the effort to repair the oscilloscope is worth it.

Offline TRN

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2021, 10:27:40 am »
Hi Diesus,

As far as I know, myhobo was unable to fix the issues with his scope.

The mask-test results from the partial self-test log indicate that there is no communication between the ADC's & the Gigabit receivers on any channel.

This might mean that;

1)either, all ADC's on the frontend board are defect, which is very unlikely
2 there is something wrong with the two HSEC8 Boards which connect the front-end with the main board, which is also very unlikely.
3)there is a problem with the two RTC ASIC's, which is more likely.

These ASIC's are manufactured by R&S, and they do not sell these. So if the problem is related to them you are out of luck.

So in my opinion it is very unlikely that you will be able to fix this scope.

Offline leonardo

« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2023, 03:31:52 pm »
Hello,

Does anybody manage to hack the RTO software options? R&S still sell those options?

Offline nix239

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2023, 10:41:02 pm »
Hi.
I have couple of questions.
1. I have old hdd with FW 2.45.1.1 but some files are damaged and now options not work. maybe sombody have image or same fw file.
2. Update to 3.70 solve problem with options?Сan i revert to 2.45.1.1 with old hdd if something goes wrong?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf