Author Topic: Please, share your opinions and reviews on Agilent U1602B!  (Read 398 times)

Offline rvalente

• Regular Contributor
Please, share your opinions and reviews on Agilent U1602B!
« on: September 14, 2019, 08:20:03 pm »
Hello Mates,

I'm looking to add a U1602B to my inventory. I work with factory automation, electronics and car maintenance as hobby. This will not be my first scope, I have other DSOs and CROs.

But I do not have a handheld DSO, would be very useful in the field, to probe AB encoders, inductive sensors, analog 0-10/4-20 sensors and other stuff in the field.

I've used some Flukes 123 (BW and color, not sure the generation) and have totally disliked them, the screen update rate is just unusable.

The specs on the 1602B are fine to me, but please tell me more about it use and feel.

Offline maginnovision

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Please, share your opinions and reviews on Agilent U1602B!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 09:01:40 pm »
I've used a fluke 98II professionally for a long time for automotive use and would recommend for that. I've never used a U1602B though, I assume you're getting it for really cheap? I have a U1620A and startup is slow but otherwise very nice to use when I need mobile or isolation that isn't automotive.

Hopefully someone has used what you're looking at. Sorry I couldn't be much help.

Offline hgjdwx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 11:57:47 pm »
I suggest the STO1104C of micsig
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 12:00:00 am by hgjdwx »

Offline rvalente

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 12:04:42 pm »
I've used a fluke 98II professionally for a long time for automotive use and would recommend for that. I've never used a U1602B though, I assume you're getting it for really cheap? I have a U1620A and startup is slow but otherwise very nice to use when I need mobile or isolation that isn't automotive.

Hopefully someone has used what you're looking at. Sorry I couldn't be much help.
The deal ia for 215 usd, doesnt the fluke 98ii screen update bother you? The 123 ibe used was terrible

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Offline rvalente

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 12:05:37 pm »
I suggest the STO1104C of micsig
Great suggestion but, were talking 215usd vs 700. I do not need all this power in the field and is not differential/channel isolated
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 12:07:35 pm by rvalente »

Offline rvalente

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 12:26:44 pm »
U1602B vs THS720P, of course the tek is older ans BW, but better sample and frequency. The u1602b has better memory.

How woud you compare both?

Offline maginnovision

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 03:59:54 pm »

The deal ia for 215 usd, doesnt the fluke 98ii screen update bother you? The 123 ibe used was terrible

The screen is an old monochrome TFT with slow update rate but it usually doesn't matter much for low performance applications and it's a pretty tough little thing. No worrying about bumps and bruises.

U1602B vs THS720P, of course the tek is older ans BW, but better sample and frequency. The u1602b has better memory.

How woud you compare both?

There is a thread on the THS720, I think it's going to be similar to the flukes for the display though. I'm not sure if the u1602B display is any better but it can't be any WORSE unless it doesn't work. If you're ok with the performance specs of the 1602 I'd probably get it for the price over the THS720. Memory is more important than better specs you don't care about.

The following users thanked this post: rvalente

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 01:12:24 pm »
I have a U1602B, it was the Agilent variety purchased back in early 2011, so a good 8 years old now. So please bear in mind a more modern unit may be slightly different to mine, especially with regards to the battery.

I used it predominantly to collect air gap search coil data and recurrent surge oscillograph tests on generators within power stations. It hasn't had that rough a life, a few light knocks and a subjected to oily dirt, but nothing along the lines of working on a car. It has been transported around a lot from station to station in the boot of a car. It has stood up to this very well, passes its calibration every year without any issue.

The soft carry case for it, has not stood up so well. The carry handle has torn away and the shoulder strap broke. It was never a good case anyway as the partitions just attached to the side, so when it was picked up, every moved around and the smaller items ended up underneath the scope.

If you are buying second-hand make sure it has its charger as the DC jack is the extended type and may be awkward or more expensive to get hold of.

Battery life from day one has always been poor, couple of hours at most, but this never bothered me with my kind of work. It will work whilst plugged into the power supply. It also has a habit of losing battery life over a week whilst it is off, even fully charging it, it will drain down over the week.

The two BNC connections for the channels are the insulated type and I have had problems using some non-insulated BNC accessories on them, they seem to be very tight and do not always make connection. The probes that came with the unit are fine and some other insulated BNC sockets work ok as well.

Moving around the menus always seemed a bit clunky to me, as I used it more I got more used to them, but if I haven't used it for a while it slows me down when I go back to it.

I do like the screen on it, the traces on it are quite fine, which I like, I have never had any problems with the update rate of the screen, but the measurements I make are not particularly onerous for an oscilloscope. I have added a couple of shots to the post so you can get an idea. The model I have is limited to 12 screen shots for internal memory, which can be called back onto screen for comparison, but you cannot do math against them, only against channel 1 and 2.

I do like having the ability of a multimeter built into it and find that very useful. Whilst it has reasonable functionality, it isn't the most accurate but is good enough for my electrical work. I have used that side of it to measure voltages when carrying out impedance and winding resistance tests which I have a 2% tolerance to work to. So you get the idea of how accurate I am :-DD

It comes with a basic piece of software to connect to a PC via USB, to either download screenshots or control the instrument. Controlling the instrument in this manner does slow it down significantly. The screenshots are also different in this mode, giving you a full picture of the scope against just the trace shot from the actual unit. The unit can save direct to USB disc as well.

Overall, it has been a good, reliable unit but compared to modern ones, I find it lacking. I did move to a Picoscope, that has better maths functionality and can carry out air gap search calculations that the U1602B cannot, with the U1602B it is a visual analysis of the waveform.

The first shot (AGSC) is captured via the PC software, the second (RSO) is a straight screen dump direct from the U1602B.

I should be back at the site where the U1602B is stored over the next couple of days, so if you want to know anything specific let me know.

The following users thanked this post: luma, maginnovision

Offline maginnovision

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 08:37:44 pm »
Since he doesn't like the performance of the flukes would you be able to do a video showing the screen update rate and response time. Attaching, monitoring and detaching a signal should give a good idea of the display performance.

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 09:21:30 pm »
Yes, I should be able to get something done over the next 2 or 3 days, if that will be quick enough for him.

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 06:49:16 pm »
Link to a video below of using the U1602B. If I have understood your request correctly, I have used it with my rotor reflectometer and also some DMM measurements against a DMMCheck Plus.

https://youtu.be/R2w0QTzyG10

I have also done some teardown pictures I will put into a new post, now linked below.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-u1602b-dso-teardown/

Kind regards
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:44:48 pm by threephase »

The following users thanked this post: maginnovision

Offline rvalente

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 01:57:03 pm »
Hello Mates,

i've much appreciate all you opinions shared, I've choose a THS720P for even a smaller price, was a freebie. =D

Im sure these information here will help others in the near future

Greetings

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 07:13:20 pm »
Can't get a better deal than that. Hope it meets your needs.

Kind regards.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf