Author Topic: R&S FSPN Phase noise analyzer and VCO tester  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Leo BodnarTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
R&S FSPN Phase noise analyzer and VCO tester
« on: October 25, 2021, 05:49:45 pm »
We had this phase noise tester unit for a week but it wasn't enough to take it through its paces.
Does anybody have comments about this unit?

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/products/test-and-measurement/phase-noise-analyzers/rs-fspn-phase-noise-analyzer-and-vco-tester_63493-1087847.html

We have also tried FSWP but could not make our mind up either.  With all the options (SA, etc) it was just too expensive.  FSPN, on the other hand is almost "take it or leave it" - this appeals to me.

I always thought that FSWP is positioned as E5052B killer.  Not sure how FSPN stacks up against that.

Cheers
Leo

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
Re: R&S FSPN Phase noise analyzer and VCO tester
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 11:08:51 pm »
Did all my PhD work on an FSWP26.

The FSPN looks like a phase noise only version of the FSWP (No SA, noise figure, pulse, IQ, protocols, ...).
How much do they ask for an FSPN ? The FSWP is a lot above the Keysight pricewise, but it can also do a lot more.

IMHO, the main criteria is frequency range. If you need <10MHz (I did), Keysight has no offer, If you need < 200MHz, the Microsemi part could be an option (53100A). Above, its R&S or Keysight.

The RS parts are "integrated" solutions with internal references. These can limit performance, but a dual external reference system is not supported AFAIK. Keysight the same, Microsemi *must* use external references, making very low PN measurements possible (< -130dBc@1Hz).

What do you intend to measure ?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 09:18:54 am »
Thanks, Wolfganag.

This all does make sense. 

Indeed, for simple sub-200MHz work I now use 53100A - I switch between low PN and high stability external sources depending on the needs.  It's fanless and fits on my desk easily.

For over-200MHz I could use E5500 or HP3048A but you'd need a clean signal source for each frequency of interest.  They are both very noisy so don't get much use these days.

I see FSPN as a simple and fast GHz instrument.  Need to think about a bit more.

Cheers
Leo

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 11:21:26 am »
Leo

Howabout one of these, we find them more than sufficent for PH meas

https://www.holzworth.com/products/phase-noise-analyzers/ha7062c

Sighound

Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 01:40:27 pm »
I have looked at Holzworth (and a few Swiss companies) offers for quite some time but I don't personally know anybody who has one.
Yeah, I know, it's shallow but still...
Leo

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 02:58:03 pm »
Hi Leo

We have had Holtzworthy's for a few years, we are involved with ultra low phase noise clock design and manufacturer so it is an essential part of remit.Quality equipment, great back up and ultra stable units.

Never really liked the KS PNA until you get to the real silly money, the R&S is always top draw, if a touch quirky but if you not require all the belles and whistles then the Holtsworthy and Microsemi (Its a US designed instrument from memory)

It handles the clocks we have to -122dbc @ 1hz and over -180bc @ 10Mhz compared its results to a big KS noise analyser which is then six figure range, more than happy with the results.

They are quite a few users in the UK I believe
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:08:17 pm by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline Gerhard_dk4xp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 08:21:01 pm »
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6588446

They have compared a lot of instruments. It's behind the IEEE pay-wall of shame,
but I have seen it in the wild. The Timepod is missing, of course.
In Microwaves/Microwave Magazine there was also a variant IIRC.

Cheers, Gerhard

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 08:29:01 pm »
Thanks, Wolfganag.

This all does make sense. 

Indeed, for simple sub-200MHz work I now use 53100A - I switch between low PN and high stability external sources depending on the needs.  It's fanless and fits on my desk easily.

For over-200MHz I could use E5500 or HP3048A but you'd need a clean signal source for each frequency of interest.  They are both very noisy so don't get much use these days.

I see FSPN as a simple and fast GHz instrument.  Need to think about a bit more.

Cheers
Leo

Hi Leo,

just curious, what kind of references do you use for < 200MHz and above ?

Best regards
  Wolfgang

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 08:29:14 pm »
I think I might have read it before.
Is this the one where they had to wrap the whole kit in Aluminium foil to get rid of local FM station EMI?

Leo
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6588446

They have compared a lot of instruments. It's behind the IEEE pay-wall of shame,
but I have seen it in the wild. The Timepod is missing, of course.
In Microwaves/Microwave Magazine there was also a variant IIRC.

Cheers, Gerhard

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf