Author Topic: R&S HMC8015 power analyzer functions and licenses  (Read 2064 times)

Offline electr_peterTopic starter

• Supporter
R&S HMC8015 power analyzer functions and licenses
« on: December 06, 2021, 08:49:07 pm »
I am investigating Rohde & Schwarz HMC8015 power analyzer functionality. Basic analyzer has some default functions while additional functions are only accessible with SW vouchers/licenses.
Available options are HOC151/HOC152/HOC153 or HVC151/HVC152/HVC153 (advanced functions + graphs of V/I/P; external I/O and shunts; IEC/EN compliance standards). Options are pricey.

Voltage, current, power peaks function, waveform+trend chart+inrush current are only accessible as options. I am not sure that these functions are completely covered by HMExplorer SW.

Can someone with HMC8015 options installed comment on functionality above via SW? Are these functions worth it to have it on front panel? If so, are there any discounts/hacks possible with R&S options?

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
Re: R&S HMC8015 power analyzer functions and licenses
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 07:02:33 pm »
Don’t want to talk you out of the R&S, but you might want to look at the GW INSTEK GPM-8310 as well. Good feature set and no need for any additional software licenses.

A review is available at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/gw-instek-gpm8310-digital-power-meter-hands-on-review/msg3665257/#msg3665257

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 07:26:35 am »
I saw review of GPM-8310, it has similar capabilities overall to HMC8015 with minor differences in specs, front/rear connections. I am still looking at R&S option, as I see some deals which levels cost factor.

Are there HMC8015 users in EEVblog to comment on experience?

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 02:03:19 pm »
I'm quite happy with my HMC8012 multimeters and HMC8042 PSU which I use for some test automation, and of course my RTB2000.  Nothing overly special, but small and competent test equipment with Ethernet connectivity.  So I was looking at the HMC8015 and requested a quote from R&S Australia.

In the end I went with a Tonghui TH3321 simply because of my simple needs and limited budget.  I started writing some software for automatic generation of efficiency and harmonics reports, but never got very far.

Apart from GW Instek, and the usual offerings in this space like Yokogawa, Hioki, and Chroma, another to look at is the Everfine PF9810/9811.  I quite liked the test gear I saw from Everfine that Doug Ford (friend of EEVblog) was using.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 01:34:17 pm »
Thanks for links to other meters. Some of them are more simple in functionality (at much lower cost), I looked for solution which includes visual element of current waveform via LCD or connection to PC.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 05:03:42 pm »
Thanks for links to other meters. Some of them are more simple in functionality (at much lower cost), I looked for solution which includes visual element of current waveform via LCD or connection to PC.

Many of them look like old tech and have only simple LED displays, but via a PC connection they can give much more detailed info like harmonics graphs.  Of course the reporting software is sometimes an extra cost, and that can lead to software license management issues in future.  Conversely, a built in LCD for graphical display is "sexy" but it also adds cost, complexity, and has little value for generating documentation of test results.

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 11:34:06 pm »
Overall HW and SW package as well as availability needs to be considered, OP in different regions have different selection or deals. Also I am not keen on getting specialty higher cost device from China due to customs headache |O plus uncertainty on SW quality.
I was able to test HMC8015 options (mainly HOC151), IMO they are useful and not a gimmick. With SW you can do almost anything without licenses. Basic model also is good for low power battery testing. Licenses are permanent, possibly could be guessed with good crystal ball ;)

OP did a quick video review and teardown of HMC8015 (in german language, subtitles available)
Review Teil 1 : Power Analyzer HMC8015 von Rohde & Schwarz
Review Teil 2 : PowerAnalyzer HMC8015 von Rohde & Schwarz

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 11:53:54 pm »
User manual of HMC8015 seems to have a mix-up which left me puzzled for a while. Power is showed as negative instead of positive with wiring setup for voltage based measurement.

Consider that we are measuring AC or DC powered load. Power analyzer is connected in the middle between PSU and load as both ampmeter and voltmeter. Instantaneous power is P[W] = U[V] * I[A], it can be positive (V and A signs match) or negative (V and A signs don't match). Sign flip, if needed, is solved in menu setting.
There are two ways to combine ampmeter and voltmeter connections, both are provided in manual. "Voltage based measurement" does not include voltage drop over ampmeter, "current based measurement" includes ampmeter voltage drop.
For HMC8015, ampmeter and voltmeter have common ground (COM) - this means that "voltage mode" would actually yield negative power calculation while current mode would yield positive (see schematic with setup and signs).

However, user manual states the opposite - as if connected in voltage mode power would show positive P (while current mode would show negative P and require sign flipping). Pictures and/or descriptions are mixed up in user manual (see pages 13 & 14).
3 wire connection somehow is more complicated than 4 wire, even R&S slips up. No biggie, manual can be updated.

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2022, 10:08:46 am »
HMC8015 has been discontinued R&S®HMC8015 power analyzer
This is a discontinued product
AFAIK, replacement has not been announced.

Online pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 04:09:34 pm »
HMC8015 has been discontinued

We do have a replacement coming ... we just haven't announced it yet  :) 
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: Kean

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 07:11:13 pm »
Let's wait and see what new version R&S will come up with :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 07:13:17 pm by electr_peter »

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 05:04:37 pm »
HMC8015 has been discontinued

@pdenisowski any updates you can share?

HMC8015 seems alive and well on the R&S website, but not going to invest in that if a new model is on the way.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2024, 12:48:21 am »
The replacement product has been launched! R&S NPA power analyzer series.

There are three models with increasing measurement functionality:

NPA101 = power meter
NPA501 = power analyzer
NPA701 = compliance tester

From the website it does not look like there are software upgrade options from one model to the next; the hardware may be different between the models.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, pdenisowski

Online pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2024, 01:07:41 am »
From the website it does not look like there are software upgrade options from one model to the next; the hardware may be different between the models.

That's correct, no software upgrade options but I believe the hardware is the same - I'll check.

Pretty sure this is the first picture of one "in the wild" (since I took it a few weeks ago), together with our NGC power supply, also released today.

Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, egonotto, Kean

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf