Author Topic: R&S RTB2004 - meaning of dotted lines above and below trigger line ?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline javadesignerTopic starter

• Contributor
This is a n00b question!

When I slide the trigger line (up or down) on the RTB2004, a dotted (or dashed if your prefer) line shows up above and below the trigger line. This happens while the solid trigger line is being dragged and then those dotted lines disappaer once the drag is finished.

I've read the scope manual entirely and I don't see this mentioned anywhere. I'm at a loss to figure out what these lines actually mean. Also, these dotted lines don't don't show up if I turn on "HF reject".  :-//  My threshold is set to 0 and hysteresis to small - not sure if that has any connection to these dotted lines (they don't seem to expand further when hysteresis is set to large).

[edit: attached a pic to show this]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:04:34 pm by javadesigner »

Offline javadesignerTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: R&S RTB2004 - meaning of dotted lines above and below trigger line ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 05:32:56 pm »
These are the values for Treshold and Hysteresis.
In the manual under Chapter 4.3.4 Treshold Settings and 5.4 Edge Trigger.

Thanks - but I could not find anywhere in the manual where it says these dotted lines are threshold and hysteresis. What am i missing ?

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/webhelp/RTB_HTML_UserManual_en/Content/e77b4782fd80431c.htm

The manual says the solid line is the threshold level (as expected). How can the dotted line also be the threshold ? I'm confused. Are both dotted lines the hysteresis level only ?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:36:42 pm by javadesigner »

Offline Doug_T

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 03:30:29 am »
I’m confused as well.   Why show the dotted line (I only indicate one dotted line slightly below the trigger threshold) if it’s not indicated in the manual?  The channel hysteresis (small, medium, large) do not alter the distance between the trigger threshold and the mysterious dotted line.  R&S?

Offline Doug_T

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 03:55:45 am »
With the Edge trigger’s HF Reject (5kHz low pass filter) enabled, the dashed line disappears.  The Noise Reject (I think based on the channel’s Hysteresis) moves the dashed line below the trigger further away from the trigger (my trigger was 100 mV and the channel hysteresis 1 mV).  THe Width trigger has the dashed line slightly below the trigger threshold as well. 

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 05:09:09 am »
Hello,

that is the hysteresis. It seems you have rising and falling edge trigger enabled. Therefore the hysteresis line for rising edge and the hysteresis line for falling edge.

Best regards
egonotto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf