Author Topic: R&S RTC1002  (Read 20230 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: R&S RTC1002
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2019, 09:21:21 pm »
Hello,

you can lower your noise level about a factor 1.4 if you add both channels.

The signals in the sum is doubled, but the noise is only about 1,4.

Best regards
egonotto

Cool trick, I like it!
It is nice..
A bit more on the topic.

Thank you for the interesting article attached, food for thought.  Simple averaging can work near miracles, but the cross correlation techniques described sound like actual miracles!

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2019, 10:11:03 pm »
Hello,

you can lower your noise level about a factor 1.4 if you add both channels.

The signals in the sum is doubled, but the noise is only about 1,4.

Best regards
egonotto

Cool trick, I like it!
It is nice..
A bit more on the topic.

Thank you for the interesting article attached, food for thought.  Simple averaging can work near miracles, but the cross correlation techniques described sound like actual miracles!
:-+

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2019, 12:07:59 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/some-information-on-the-lna-10-low-noise-oscilloscope-amplifier/

Here is some more data on the LNA-10. Should work fine for your purposes.

Offline MiveraTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2019, 01:14:54 am »
Thanks. Mine is on the way. I chatted with the engineer Bill Lee on the phone for a while today. He figures for 100khz bandwidth I will be able to measure down to 0.4uV RMS. Impressive unit for the price. Not sure why anyone would need to spend $8000 on the Lacroy box. Dave should have mentioned this unit in his ripple and noise video. It's pretty much a no brainer to use something like this. The big advantage is the differential mode with 90db CMRR. Common mode noise will be way less than the signal.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:18:16 am by Mivera »

Offline leftek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2019, 09:45:52 am »
5: Made in the Czech Republic in R&S's own quality controlled factory rather than a 3rd party Chinese factory like the Keysight

Are you sure that is made in Czech Republic? Does this referred to his label?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:46:36 am by leftek »

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2019, 04:02:57 pm »
5: Made in the Czech Republic in R&S's own quality controlled factory rather than a 3rd party Chinese factory like the Keysight

Are you sure that is made in Czech Republic? Does this referred to his label?
All our 1000/2000/3000/4000 scopes are made in the Czech Republic, about three hours from the design teams in Germany.

-Rich

Offline leftek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2019, 10:28:57 am »
Thank you. It's important positive point for me.

Offline fabrizio_fabrice

• Supporter
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2019, 06:04:50 pm »
Well except the U.S which has been recovering since the last election.
... Look at the data: recovery from 2007/2008 housing/banking fiasco began in March 2009, and was mostly recovered by 2014.

Always be suspicious of linear units for monetary values over time.   That seriously distorts reality, due to economics' built-in time value of money factor.   The distortion increases as the time period increases.

Offline Doug_T

• Contributor
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2019, 09:08:14 pm »
Mivera,

Any plans for a follow-up video beyond unboxing?  There is surprisingly little in terms of independent written or YouTube reviews on the R&S RTC1002.  Given the price cut through year’s end on the 300 MHz version with MSO digital hardware, I’d thought there would be more interest.   

I have a desire to upgrade from my 70 MHz Rigol 2072 as a self-training tool (an engineer in a different field) and this is a candidate.  I’m attracted primarily to the FFT capability but also to the greater bandwidth and seemingly polished interface.   

The 6.5” diag screen size is a concern of mine coming from the more horizontally expanded 2072. 

I’d love to go for the RTB2004, but even the discounted $3,700 US is hard for me to justify based on my needs.     

Offline DIPLover

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2019, 11:37:52 am »
Sorry for being very late to the party, I just saw this thread (been buried in work for months, never had time for a proper review).

I have bought the RTC1002 in the all-upgraded RTC1K-COM2 package for about $1500 USD, back in august.

I never had the time for a proper review, here are some notes...

I am absolutely completely and utterly satisfied.

Unit boots in 7 seconds. UI is very responsive and all-around excellent.
I have owned both Rigol and Siglent scopes. They were very fine units for their prices, but they still have a long way to go to catch R&S or Agilent on UI.

Unit is incredibly compact and silent. I transport mine in a camera bag made for a DSLR.

Analog probes are cheapies. Digital probe is nice.

Protocol decoders work very well. No complaints.

20 divisions scrollable vertical "virtual" screen is quite useful.
SQUARE divisions. (Important to me). Also on the siglent.
The screen is a 4:3 ratio 6.5 inch LCD, but will show you 12 horizontal divisions, so it has a bit of horizontal expansion compared to a classic 10x8.
Most widescreen scope simply use rectangular divisions, though I believe my Rigol DS2072A could show 14 with menus off.

Keysight just wastes the horizontal space with a big logo and some setup info they could put on the bottom.

This is not my only scope, I also own a Tek TDS784A with 4 active probes, so I use that when I need 4 analog channels, very high bandwidth or excellent probes.

RTC1002 has displaced my beloved analog scope (Tek 2465) from the bench though. Since sold at a 50% profit. I'll get over it some day.

-3dB bandwidth is precisely 300MHz (measured with a good Keysight sig gen).
Trigger bandwidth (and frequency counter limit) is 454 MHz on my unit.

Look for Dave's video #842 of the HMO1202. This is the same scope, minus the switchable 50 ohm input (a shame!).

I use the FFT a lot. It's the best user interface implementation I have ever seen on a scope. Just a blast to use. (EEVblog 845 to see it in action)

So does the base model make sense compared to the rigol and siglent? Probably not, as it's twice as expensive.

Does the discounted high-end model make sense? Certainly, it's half the price of a comparable keysight (MSOX2022A, only 200MHz bandwidth and half the memory).

It's also price-competitive with the Rigol MSO2302A-S and the Siglent SDS2302XE with mso option.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:56:11 am by DIPLover »

Offline Doug_T

• Contributor
« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2019, 06:35:27 pm »
DIPLover,

Thank you for the response and It sounds like the HTC1002 will be an excellent scope.   I found I was straining somewhat to see the 8” Rigol 2072 good screen (my age) so was concerned with the 6.5” display of this R&S as well as it would have to be my primary (only) scope. 

I would simply love to have an analog scope too but I’m not at the skill level to make detailed repairs when eventually needed. 

As it turned out, yesterday I ordered the R&S RTB2004-com4 package and plan to pass the Rigol along to a friend to get them hooked as well. 

Rich helped through PMs along the way.  Many a year ago, I got burned buying the more economical IBM PC Jr instead of the IBM PC so I was leery.  In this case, I think either the RTC & RTB would have worked...just hated to spend that much. 

I will add that I was surprised that the frequency analysis package (Bode plots) is included though TEquipment and others do not list this option with the package.  The EEVforum discount almost covered the sales tax.   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:37:46 pm by Doug_T »

Offline killingtime

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2020, 09:45:02 pm »
I know is this an old thread, but I have a question on the RCT-1000 RTC1K-COM2 package deal. It's advertised with the 'Mixed Signal Upgrade' RTC-B1 MSO, but I can't find any information on the R&S website as to whether this is a software licence key, or the 8 bit (buffered) probe that plugs into the front of the Oscope, or both. You need both do digital signal analysis.
I called three UK distributors (RS, Farnells and Imex). No one seemed to know. Having read the R&S downloads, I can understand why. The options list isn't that descriptive. Some options need hardware (like logic), but the options don't say what you get for the upgrade.

I e-mailed R&S a number of times asking for clarification but have yet to hear anything.

The B1 option on the R&S website is here, but it doesn't say what's included.

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/id/product/sw_rtx-b1-productstartpage_63493-502030.html

Without the logic pod and key upgrade, the digital option is useless.

Does anyone know of an R&S webpage that details what you actually receive for the RTC-B1 MSO option, or the COM2 option? I can point one of the UK distributors to that and hold them to it if the scope arrives without the option. I would order from R&S direct but understandably (as I'm not spending 6 figures) they won't deal for such a small purchase.

Thanks.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2020, 09:59:20 pm »
I can't be sure about the RTC having not ordered it but the rtb packages do come with everything so I'd SUSPECT you get everything you need.

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2020, 04:11:22 am »
I know is this an old thread, but I have a question on the RCT-1000 RTC1K-COM2 package deal. It's advertised with the 'Mixed Signal Upgrade' RTC-B1 MSO, but I can't find any information on the R&S website as to whether this is a software licence key, or the 8 bit (buffered) probe that plugs into the front of the Oscope, or both. You need both do digital signal analysis.
I called three UK distributors (RS, Farnells and Imex). No one seemed to know. Having read the R&S downloads, I can understand why. The options list isn't that descriptive. Some options need hardware (like logic), but the options don't say what you get for the upgrade.

I e-mailed R&S a number of times asking for clarification but have yet to hear anything.

The B1 option on the R&S website is here, but it doesn't say what's included.

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/id/product/sw_rtx-b1-productstartpage_63493-502030.html

Without the logic pod and key upgrade, the digital option is useless.

Does anyone know of an R&S webpage that details what you actually receive for the RTC-B1 MSO option, or the COM2 option? I can point one of the UK distributors to that and hold them to it if the scope arrives without the option. I would order from R&S direct but understandably (as I'm not spending 6 figures) they won't deal for such a small purchase.

Thanks.
You’ll receive the logic pod and license. Everything needed to use the full 8 channels.

-Rich

Offline killingtime

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #164 on: February 29, 2020, 10:24:24 am »
You’ll receive the logic pod and license. Everything needed to use the full 8 channels.

-Rich

Thanks. I'll put an order in on Monday.

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #165 on: February 29, 2020, 09:07:24 pm »
Hello,

in the User Manual 1335.7352.02 ─ 04  for R&S®RTC1000 at page 107:
"
The R&S RTC1000 has a connector for the R&S RT-ZL03 logic probe to add 8 digital
logic inputs. To use the logic analysis, you need the option R&S RTC-B1. The logic
probe comes with the option
"

Best regards
egonotto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf