Author Topic: RTB2004: Can't zoom in on signal  (Read 1446 times)

Offline reyntjensmTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
RTB2004: Can't zoom in on signal
« on: October 04, 2020, 09:05:16 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have a strange problem with my Rohde&Schwarz oscilloscope. I'm trying to measure a 13,8V DC signal. As soon as i try to lower my volts/div the signal goes out of the screen and i can't change my offset. The offset is stuck at 1.2volt. I already tried different channels and different probe settings, still the same issue. I have no idea what i'm doing wrong? Does anyone have any explanation for this issue? Is it impossible to look at a 13,8 DC signal with a 10mV/div?
Thank you all!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: RTB2004: Can't zoom in on signal
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 09:09:00 pm »
Nothing strange here, this is what AC input coupling is expressly for.......to remove the DC component of a signal.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 09:12:38 pm »
Nothing strange here, this is what AC input coupling is expressly for.......to remove the DC component of a signal.  ;)

Seriously? I know AC coupling is there to remove the DC component. So it's impossible to look at a 13V DC signal with a low volts/div? How is the maximum calculated? Say for instance the 13VDC level has a signal on top of it, say a small block wave of around 20mV. It's impossible to see right?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 09:27:15 pm »

Seriously? I know AC coupling is there to remove the DC component. So it's impossible to look at a 13V DC signal with a low volts/div? How is the maximum calculated? Say for instance the 13VDC level has a signal on top of it, say a small block wave of around 20mV. It's impossible to see right?
Max channel voltage offset will be specified in the datasheet and it commonly is different depending on the V/div range selected. RTFM.  ;)
Some scopes permit setting a fixed vertical position so to easily allow high magnification of a signal without it disappearing off the display, again RTFM.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 09:40:57 pm »

Using AC mode is one way. Another option is to use zoom mode and keeping DC coupling. You'll get the best result by using the lowest V/div which allows to see the signal (with offset ofcourse). The limit will be the ADC resolution but with 10 bit you'll have an advantage. If the signal is not high frequency then turning on high-res is another step towards a clean signal but be aware that high-res mode also filters the signal.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 09:46:34 pm »

Using AC mode is one way. Another option is to use zoom mode and keeping DC coupling. You'll get the best result by using the lowest V/div which allows to see the signal (with offset ofcourse). The limit will be the ADC resolution but with 10 bit you'll have an advantage. If the signal is not high frequency then turning on high-res is another step towards a clean signal but be aware that high-res mode also filters the signal.

The manual says that with <200mV/DIV the max offset is 1.2V( i never had this situation before). So if i want to keep the DC coupling i guess i should have to tweak the probe settings to get the signal under the 1.2V, or at least the offset. What do you mean with the zoom mode?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 10:05:56 pm »
The manual says that with <200mV/DIV the max offset is 1.2V( i never had this situation before). So if i want to keep the DC coupling i guess i should have to tweak the probe settings to get the signal under the 1.2V, or at least the offset.
Yes normally we might use 1x probes to look at low levels of ripple however if your R&S has sufficient input sensitivity 10x probes can be used which can often put you in another range of permissible channel offset.

What do you mean with the zoom mode?
Vertical zoom if this model provides for it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 10:13:29 pm »
The manual says that with <200mV/DIV the max offset is 1.2V( i never had this situation before). So if i want to keep the DC coupling i guess i should have to tweak the probe settings to get the signal under the 1.2V, or at least the offset.
Yes normally we might use 1x probes to look at low levels of ripple however if your R&S has sufficient input sensitivity 10x probes can be used which can often put you in another range of permissible channel offset.

I don't think my model has any vertical zoom. i will check the manual  :-DD
If i use a 1: probe with a 13vdc signal i can't get below 200mV/div. So i was thinking to set the probe to 10:1 and keep the settings in the scope to 1:1. Is there another solution?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 10:16:09 pm »

If i use a 1: probe with a 13vdc signal i can't get below 200mV/div. So i was thinking to set the probe to 10:1 and keep the settings in the scope to 1:1. Is there another solution?
AC coupling.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 10:37:26 pm »

AC coupling.  ;)

Yep, looks like AC coupling is the way to go. stupid me.... i thought such a slow square wave signal wouldn't couple trough... :palm:

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 10:41:16 pm »

The RTM3004 has vertical zoom for sure. Just try to make the signal bigger in the zoom area. I can't imagine the RTB2004 doesn't have vertical zoom.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 10:49:10 pm »

The RTM3004 has vertical zoom for sure. Just try to make the signal bigger in the zoom area. I can't imagine the RTB2004 doesn't have vertical zoom.

It does!! i was looking over the button every time. I think i should better go to sleep instead of being stupid... Thank you for the support!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf