Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 373571 times)

Offline bogdan2014

• Regular Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #1025 on: August 09, 2022, 08:31:07 am »
I have an issue (again) with this PSU. When I turn on the output, it goes straight into CC mode, the voltage stays at 0V and the fan turns on. I checked the mosfet and diode, they're fine. No blown fuses or other components.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 08:41:08 am by bogdan2014 »

Offline aqua39

« Reply #1026 on: August 11, 2022, 06:56:31 pm »
Hi,
I have a similar problem. When I set the current to 0.01A to whatever output voltage is set, the power supply displays CC and 0V. But after few second output is OK.

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1027 on: August 11, 2022, 07:22:23 pm »
With FW 1.41:
With extreme low current limit (0,0005A for example) and relatively high voltage (like 12V) , the output starts very slowly to avoid overshooting problem: it is the fix RD has made after I have sent them this problem :-+

With extreme value, like 0,0002A and 48,000V without load: it takes about 5s to stabilize. And it keeps going in CC mode until it reaches the 48,000V.

0,0001A/12V doesn't work: the PSU keeps trying to reach the value without success, on CC mode.
But at 5V: this extralow value is reached.

I haven't tried this with FW 1.40.

I have no other PSU that can do so small current and precise value, so nothing else to compare (and I don't really use current as small as that  ;D ).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 07:40:26 pm by ceut »

Offline aqua39

« Reply #1028 on: August 12, 2022, 07:06:02 am »
Thanks for the explanation. So this is not a bug, it is a feature   :-DD

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1029 on: August 12, 2022, 04:34:19 pm »
Thanks for the explanation. So this is not a bug, it is a feature   :-DD

Yes, I think it is really a good feature  ;)  (avoid voltage overshooting with some sensible and very low powered components)

I have posted the original (now fixed) problem on youtube:
(There was a really big overshoot problem when activating output..)

:-+

Edit: My original post was on the other RD6006P thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ruideng-riden-rd6006p-dc-power-supply/msg4186144/#msg4186144
The curve is now a capacitor like starting, which is really great  :D

Edit2: I completely forget to post the hardware fix  :palm:
A guy asked me on Youtube.
So here is the photo I have got directly from RuiDeng which has made great work on it  :-+ Really a good company which makes great products :D

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:06:27 pm by ceut »

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, trmntr, aqua39

Offline bogdan2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1030 on: September 01, 2022, 07:43:04 pm »
It's not that. I've set the limit to 10V/1A and there's nothing at the output, either with or without a load.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1031 on: September 01, 2022, 08:07:51 pm »
I've set the limit to 10V/1A and there's nothing at the output, either with or without a load.
The fuse burned?

There is a schematic...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 08:26:08 pm by UniSoft »

Offline FleX99

« Reply #1032 on: September 23, 2022, 04:14:31 pm »
Hi,
Trying to find spare output terminal for this power supply.
Anyone knows whos selling it?
Thanks

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1033 on: September 25, 2022, 08:49:04 pm »
I replaced all of them with EZ-Hook 9406 (shrouded binding posts). Posted details of that somewhere else in this thread. Of the original posts, I only have the black terminal left. But if you're interested in that one, tell me. I can send it to you (free, shipping and taxes would be on you).

Offline dougg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1034 on: September 27, 2022, 10:33:42 am »
I replaced all of them with EZ-Hook 9406 (shrouded binding posts). Posted details of that somewhere else in this thread. Of the original posts, I only have the black terminal left. But if you're interested in that one, tell me. I can send it to you (free, shipping and taxes would be on you).

Can you screw off the outer sleeve on those posts from EZ-Hook completely, so a ring type connector can be secured to those posts?

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1035 on: September 27, 2022, 05:27:07 pm »
no, not one these, sorry.

Offline dimdim4126

« Reply #1036 on: September 28, 2022, 06:00:12 pm »
Hi,
So I have a RD6006P-W with the recommended PSU and it works well but I noticed that it (the back PSU) makes weird clicking noises when powering down and I don't know if it's normal or if I should be worried. Any clue ?

the noise -> https://youtu.be/ktRdmsj0SGA

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1037 on: October 02, 2022, 04:02:52 pm »
Hi, principally I like to say a BIG THANKS to unisoft for this software, for the price of this power supply the features are really great!

Now a question, I did use this week the power source to test some LED arrays and notice that, after V and I adjustements, current in the circuit it's bigger than current setting on CC mode, most of time 20 or 30mA bigger. Not a big deal, it's workable but I wondering if this is normal. If I shutdown and power it works OK.

Any idea? Thanks in advance

Vset=23, Iset=450 mA, CC mode, I Output=465mA

After shutdown Vset=23, Iset=450 mA, CC mode, I Output=450mA

Offline bogdan2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1038 on: October 12, 2022, 07:29:03 am »
I have an issue (again) with this PSU. When I turn on the output, it goes straight into CC mode, the voltage stays at 0V and the fan turns on. I checked the mosfet and diode, they're fine. No blown fuses or other components.
For those bumping into this issue, the TL594 chip was faulty. Replaced it with a TL494 and although the voltage is not that accurate but it works (594 has a 1% reference instead of 5% in the 494).

The following users thanked this post: dmitrkov

Offline dazz1

• Frequent Contributor
Riden RD6006 : Can't connect even with usb-serial driver loaded?
« Reply #1039 on: October 15, 2022, 07:07:48 am »
There is a driver you may need to download and install if you're on windows 10 standby,  I'll see which one it is.
OK I just looked this is the one that worked for me to get USB port working.
CH341SER
http://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/CH341SER_EXE.html

In my case my laptop connected no problem but I needed this serial to usb driver installed on the desktop.

OK I have found this topic and I am trying to install the Unisoft firmware, or any firmware. 
I have the RD6006, now a couple of years old, running FW ver 1.26.

I have installed the USB-serial driver, reset the win10 laptop.  I can't connect. 
When I plug in the USB, it is detected.  If I shift the USB, the port number changes, so the software is detecting that something is out there.
The comms on the RD6006 is set to USB.

Any suggestions please?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 08:12:42 am by dazz1 »
Dazz

Over Engineering: Why make something simple when you can make it really complicated AND get it to work?

Offline jfharper

« Reply #1040 on: October 17, 2022, 11:36:55 am »
Is there a consensus wishing you got a larger amp version of this PS?  I know it's subjective to the type of projects, but given the time this unit has been out and the newer ones available now, I was curious how these are still facilitating the needs of all.  I'm looking to get my first PS and am considering the rd6006pw full kit (400w65v ps), but wondering if a little larger amp unit would help me grow into, can't think of any projects past 6a, but I cannot predict the future. Since I'm new, I'm doing well with the recommendations on this forum, namely the most recent acquisition of a 1104x-e scope.  Thanks for any replies.

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1041 on: October 17, 2022, 12:16:19 pm »
If you want to go higher, there is RD6012, RD6012P, RD6018 and RD6024 (P = the analog front-end, so less noise). You might want to check the current measurement resolution though. You risk losing resolution with the higher amp versions. And RD6012P and RD6024 are not compatible with the custom firmware.

It all depends on your needs.
If it is "arduino" stuff, you will unlikely need more than 3A and 20V. But you will probably need good low noise and fairly good low current handling. A Korad ka3005d (or the dual version) will suffice.
If you do batteries, you will need a battery resilient PSU, like the RD60xx series or something like a 2nd hand HP/Agilent 663xB (the latter is 2 quadrant, so can also act as a load, making up for some of the bench space it takes up).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 12:32:03 pm by bateau020 »

The following users thanked this post: trazor, jfharper

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1042 on: October 19, 2022, 03:43:28 pm »
For those bumping into this issue, the TL594 chip was faulty. Replaced it with a TL494 and although the voltage is not that accurate but it works (594 has a 1% reference instead of 5% in the 494).

Great you have found the issue !
You could post a message to RD Support on Aliexpress (if you bought it there), I think they will be able to send you a new TL594 chip to replace yours without any problem  :-+

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
Re: Riden RD6006 : Can't connect even with usb-serial driver loaded?
« Reply #1043 on: October 19, 2022, 03:53:22 pm »
There is a driver you may need to download and install if you're on windows 10 standby,  I'll see which one it is.
OK I just looked this is the one that worked for me to get USB port working.
CH341SER
http://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/CH341SER_EXE.html

In my case my laptop connected no problem but I needed this serial to usb driver installed on the desktop.

OK I have found this topic and I am trying to install the Unisoft firmware, or any firmware. 
I have the RD6006, now a couple of years old, running FW ver 1.26.

I have installed the USB-serial driver, reset the win10 laptop.  I can't connect. 
When I plug in the USB, it is detected.  If I shift the USB, the port number changes, so the software is detecting that something is out there.
The comms on the RD6006 is set to USB.

Any suggestions please?

The chipset inside is a CH340E, optically isolated IC from the rest of powersupply, and powered from computer.
So the full package of CH341 will work with it too, and create a virtual COM Port, which has to be set in the parameters.

You can first try to use the official software, to check if you have access to full control of the powersupply ('RidenPowerSupply.exe').

Also, you can try arduino drivers for win10, which are normally the same.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 03:55:19 pm by ceut »

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1044 on: November 03, 2022, 02:50:31 pm »
Hello Unisoft, I have another suggestion for a new operation mode, I will call it for now as  Constant Power Mode (CP_MODE).

Suggestion:
Limiting current without lowering voltage, and with the possibility to adjust the values real time. Please read the following explanation.

Suppose I have a Load 24v 3A 72w (normal operation) and want to test it at lower amps without disturbing voltage regulation, like 24v at 2A, 1.5A, or custom value adjusted real time as long as we don't exceed the max values defined

!! This mode will only work if the load consumes more than the values we set. !!

Like this:

1. We turn on the feature: CP_MODE=ON/OFF (this disables CV/CC)
2. Then we set max values for V and I, for eg:

MAX_limit_V=24v (can't be above MAX limit of RD6xxx, 60V)
 MAX_limit_I=1.5A  (can't be above MAX limit of RD6xxx, 6A in case of RD6006)

3. Total watts are displayed automatically

4. There should be a routine to check if the entered values surpass the max power limit of the RD6xxx unit or the value defined in the Gear icon->Power->MAX power setting.

5. The max values are then automatically pasted into the V and I settings, without pressing V-SET and I-SET button.

6. The Operation Icon below will change from CV/CC into CP_MODE with yellow color for eg.

From this point, we will be able to decrease V and I real time (using V-SET ,  I-SET button, keyboard or encoder) but !!NEVER!! increase them above the limit defined in Max_limit_V and Max_limit_I

With this mode, we can test different loads at different situations, like
 lower V <-> same I
 lower I <-> same V
 random v and I,  up to the point the Load will stop working ou show some king of instability.

I'm able to do this with an old analog PS, but it will be nice if the RD6xxx could do it also.

Do you think it's possible to add this feature?

Thank you

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1045 on: November 03, 2022, 09:19:36 pm »
...new operation mode, I will call it for now as  Constant Power Mode (CP_MODE).
Limiting current without lowering voltage, and with the possibility to adjust the values real time. Please read the following explanation.
Do you want to break the laws of physics?  ;)
Or did I misunderstand something?  :-//

Suppose I have a Load 24v 3A 72w (normal operation) and want to test it at lower amps without disturbing voltage regulation, like 24v at 2A, 1.5A, or custom value...
Ohm's law:
I = V / R
So, the current can only be changed by a changing the voltage (V) and the load resistance (R).
The power supply is unable to change the load resistance (R) (suppose it as a constant), so there is only one single way to do it: by changing the voltage (V).

Ex:
Load 24v 3A 72w : R = V / I = 24v / 3A = 8 Ohm
Load 24v 2A 48w : R = V / I = 24v / 2A = 12 Ohm
Load 24v 1.5A 36w : R = V / I = 24v / 1.5A = 16 Ohm

...adjusted real time as long as we don't exceed the max values defined
You can adjust the current real time...
Long press on I-SET to set min/max values.

...this disables CV/CC
there is nothing to disable, CV/CC is just a visual signal...
This power supply always working in CC mode (it is designed by hardware)!
When the firmware sees that the measured output voltage has become more than 0.05V below than the given voltage (V-SET), then the CC mode is displayed...

Offline bateau020

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1046 on: November 03, 2022, 10:06:35 pm »
ptluis probably refers to a "Constant Power" mode, like useful for testing things like semiconductors or temperature dependent resistors. And while we're at it, why not a CR (Constant Resistance) mode. Those types of modes can be found at SMUs and more expensive PSUs (regatron, astrodyne, HPAK,..). But that probably won't be easy with the RD.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1047 on: November 03, 2022, 10:11:30 pm »
This power supply always working in CC mode (it is designed by hardware)!
When the firmware sees that the measured output voltage has become more than 0.05V below than the given voltage (V-SET), then the CC mode is displayed...

Thanks for the reply and explanation my friend.

I know this defies ohm's law, but like I said, I have an old power supply (40 years old), made by someone else, that allows me to set a stable voltage and adjust the current (just decreasing) keeping the voltage always stable at the set value. I tried to find out how it was made many years ago, but unfortunately the man who built it hid everything in a ceramic block and it is impossible to remove it without destroying everything. This is something I've been thinking about for a long time. How did he do it!

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1048 on: November 03, 2022, 10:22:01 pm »
that allows me to set a stable voltage and adjust the current (just decreasing) keeping the voltage always stable at the set value.

All powersupply works as you say, all can set a voltage level, some has the advantage of add a  max current value (this case) and some has the possibility to adjust a max power, but it's the same, internally V, I or both are clipped to agree with the ohm's law P=UxI. I think that you need is this mode, that stablish that the product of voltage and current has a max value, but not constant.

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1049 on: November 03, 2022, 10:26:27 pm »
Unisoft, have you seen my previous post about a difference (always in excess) between the I value set as max and the actual current? It's a minor detail anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf