Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 367016 times)

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 02:20:35 am »
Added Battery Charging review:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ruideng-riden-rd6006-dc-power-supply/msg2791214/#msg2791214

Also getting flagged as virus "Trojan:Win32/Fuerboos.A!cl". I've emailed RD tech to see if they can provide a standalone exe or something instead.

No problem with me, but it's almost a standalone exe

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2019, 06:12:59 am »
SDGs video:

He seems to have measured a 200mV drop on the output at 3A load, can anyone else confirm this? I'll have to test it tomorrow.
If that is the case its been suggested in the comments they might be measuring the output prior to the 10A fuse (10mOhm+) and sense resistors (15mOhm).

edit: I'm not seeing any significant drop at 3A output (10s of mV), so it might be a measurement issue?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 10:08:34 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2019, 07:07:14 am »
So I think the virus is on Banggoods link only. I used the google link provided by Glen and there was no issue: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17V-JWHvqMF-NuWSznEiJ4RKrnn_Pkt5v

Apparently his account is banned here, so he won't be posting.

Offline poweromania

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2019, 12:51:17 pm »
For me still shows as being a virus.

The android version is working good but the desktop software is being detected as a virus not only by gdrive but also by windows security

Offline GuidoK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2019, 05:09:12 pm »
edit: I'm not seeing any significant drop at 3A output (10s of mV), so it might be a measurement issue?
From what I can see in his video, he has 1 of his voltmeter leads plugged in the powersupply (piggyback), and the other one piggybacked in the amp meter.
So his volt monitoring goes through 1 testlead that carries the current (you cant see the testleads in the video, but the way the 4mm jacks are plugged this is imho the only possible way).
This is of course not the best way to monitor the voltage, especially if you detect a voltage drop.
The voltage leads should have been plugged in the psu first and the current leads to the load piggybacked on that.

Can you measure if there's a voltage drop on your unit at 6A? (I dont know if you have an electronic load or beefy resistor that can handle that at a representative voltage)

Also, in de SDG video he talks about that there is a double height case for fitting 2 rd6006. But I cant find anything on banggood or aliexpress. Only a shallow depth case that can only fit the front panel (so without power supply).
Does anyone knows what he is talking about or have a link to that dual height case?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 05:13:08 pm by GuidoK »

Offline sn4k3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2019, 05:41:39 pm »
Also, in de SDG video he talks about that there is a double height case for fitting 2 rd6006. But I cant find anything on banggood or aliexpress. Only a shallow depth case that can only fit the front panel (so without power supply).
Does anyone knows what he is talking about or have a link to that dual height case?

Can't find it either, maybe not released yet.
You can also buy 2 x the current product, expensiver but more power as it use two power supply instead of 1 to feed the modules

Offline GuidoK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2019, 09:28:49 pm »

Can't find it either, maybe not released yet.

Did you get any chance to measure the noise under high load with your DSO?
I saw in that other video that noise can go up to 100mVPP, but more as a verification.
I also wonder if the switched power supply itself is part of that noise aspect, or does it all come from the buck converter. Does that even work that way? (noise in->noise out) (have you measured that?).
If it comes from the internal psu module the noise could be lowered with some capacitors.

I'm in the process of choosing a dual bench power supply (budget about €250,-) and I cant decide between 2 of these or a Korad KA3305P
The Korad is linear so probably less noise and is about the same cost. The big disadvantage with the Korad is that it's big and bench space is always limited.
And of course it doesn't have a display mode where you see a graph. That's only via the software.

I also like the Ah meter on the rd6006. Does that also work in non battery mode? (I believe I did saw it work).
And if so, when does it reset? when you turn the output off and on again?
And is it possible to not have that Ah meter periodically change on the display with temp and Wh? (I dont think so)

What I don't understand with the video review of SDG is that he calls it a "Programmable Bench PSU"
But what exactly is programmable? I don't think that you can program it to give different voltages or currents for certain periods of time. Like you can with for instance the korad or a siglent spd3303. I thought that that made it a "programmable" PSU? :-//

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2019, 10:18:33 pm »
From what I can see in his video, he has 1 of his voltmeter leads plugged in the powersupply (piggyback), and the other one piggybacked in the amp meter.
So his volt monitoring goes through 1 testlead that carries the current (you cant see the testleads in the video, but the way the 4mm jacks are plugged this is imho the only possible way).
This is of course not the best way to monitor the voltage, especially if you detect a voltage drop.
The voltage leads should have been plugged in the psu first and the current leads to the load piggybacked on that.

Can you measure if there's a voltage drop on your unit at 6A? (I dont know if you have an electronic load or beefy resistor that can handle that at a representative voltage)

Yes his wiring is wrong as you point out, but then in the comments I saw he said he's fixed the wiring and measured the same thing. So not sure what is different with his setup.
I tried 5V 6A output and there was only ~8mV drop, which is very good. So they are clearly measuring at the output or compensating for it.

Did you get any chance to measure the noise under high load with your DSO?
I saw in that other video that noise can go up to 100mVPP, but more as a verification.
I also wonder if the switched power supply itself is part of that noise aspect, or does it all come from the buck converter. Does that even work that way? (noise in->noise out) (have you measured that?).
If it comes from the internal psu module the noise could be lowered with some capacitors.

I'm seeing some 100mV p-p spikes on the output for 5V 6A out, but not really any ripple. My equipment isn't great for low noise though.

The supply used to power the RD will of course add to the output noise, but it goes through some filtering steps (common mode inductor and capacitor on input). If it was a really nasty supply you could add more filtering to the output.

I also like the Ah meter on the rd6006. Does that also work in non battery mode? (I believe I did saw it work).
And if so, when does it reset? when you turn the output off and on again?
And is it possible to not have that Ah meter periodically change on the display with temp and Wh? (I dont think so)

Its always running. It is reset when the power supply is turned off then on (not affected by output off/on). Maybe there is another way to reset it (can check the manual).

What I don't understand with the video review of SDG is that he calls it a "Programmable Bench PSU"
But what exactly is programmable? I don't think that you can program it to give different voltages or currents for certain periods of time. Like you can with for instance the korad or a siglent spd3303. I thought that that made it a "programmable" PSU? :-//

Programmable is just controllable, it doesn't necessarily mean any sort of timing commands (although that feature may be nice). You can control this unit via PC.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:29:38 pm by thm_w »

The following users thanked this post: GuidoK

Offline GuidoK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2019, 06:53:47 am »

Programmable is just controllable, it doesn't necessarily mean any sort of timing commands (although that feature may be nice). You can control this unit via PC.

Thanks for all the answers.
That its not programmable in steps versus time looks like a missed chance. In the video's I can see that when voltage or current is set with the PC, the RD6006 follows almost instantly, so lag isn't an issue.
With programmable PSU's like the korad's it's also all done from the PC software, so to have the PSU act as a 'programmable' psu that does voltage or current steps versus time it has to be connected to the PC.
Imho something like that could have been possible too for the RD6006
Do you know how the link between PC and RD6006 works? I have no experience with any of these PSU and am a bit of a noob, so is there something like a standardized protocol for this that the RD6006 might also work with the korad software?
The korad protocol is defined here and is basically serial over usb, so it probably shows up as a serial2usb converter in the windows hardware manager.

I found this new video that shows a bit more of the pcb's:

Nice that the developer of these modules makes these kinds of video's to answer questions from the buying public.

The following users thanked this post: sotos

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 09:59:44 pm »
Thanks for all the answers.
That its not programmable in steps versus time looks like a missed chance. In the video's I can see that when voltage or current is set with the PC, the RD6006 follows almost instantly, so lag isn't an issue.
With programmable PSU's like the korad's it's also all done from the PC software, so to have the PSU act as a 'programmable' psu that does voltage or current steps versus time it has to be connected to the PC.
Imho something like that could have been possible too for the RD6006
Do you know how the link between PC and RD6006 works? I have no experience with any of these PSU and am a bit of a noob, so is there something like a standardized protocol for this that the RD6006 might also work with the korad software?
The korad protocol is defined here and is basically serial over usb, so it probably shows up as a serial2usb converter in the windows hardware manager.

If there is demand they might add it to the firmware, but IMO its going to be easier to write a script on the PC which does the timing control you want.

So the connection between PC and RD6006 is via USB serial adapter, it will show up as a standard COM port to send commands to. The protocol will be somewhat standard (voltage = x, current = y) but its likely not compatible with other units. I don't see any command documentation so it would be necessary to sniff the commands sent by the RD software. You could ask them if they will supply it.

This is different to say LXI or SCPI implementation from higher end power supplies, where there are clearly defined standard commands.

I found this new video that shows a bit more of the pcb's:
Nice that the developer of these modules makes these kinds of video's to answer questions from the buying public.

agreed

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 01:33:02 pm »

Actually really actually...

It would be far more productive and time effective
if **THEY**  follow the already paved way...

https://sigrok.org/wiki/Supported_hardware#Power_supplies

95% of the job is done - just adding the protocol bits..

Open source in clear would bring more good and more  sales ...
instead of obscure protocols nobody can handle ...

Paul

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, sn4k3, Jacon, genghisnico13

Offline Xenoamor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2019, 12:08:20 am »
Probably won't be too crazy to port OpenDPS to it. I don't have the time to do it currently though as I'm toying around with a uSupply style device

Also looks like it might have the same issue all the other DPS devices have where the voltage sags under high current draws. See here for more details
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:25:11 am by Xenoamor »

Offline Xenoamor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2019, 02:38:30 am »

Actually really actually...

It would be far more productive and time effective
if **THEY**  follow the already paved way...

https://sigrok.org/wiki/Supported_hardware#Power_supplies

95% of the job is done - just adding the protocol bits..

Open source in clear would bring more good and more  sales ...
instead of obscure protocols nobody can handle ...

Paul

Most of the ones on that list have obscure protocols. You'll even see their older series the DPS on there which has a bespoke protocol, Sigrok rely on users making and submitting decoders for every device. The closest we have to a unified protocol is SCPI but hardly anything uses it

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2019, 10:19:15 am »

Most of the ones on that list have obscure protocols. You'll even see their older series the DPS on there which has a bespoke protocol, Sigrok rely on users making and submitting decoders for every device. The closest we have to a unified protocol is SCPI but hardly anything uses it

it  even looks the similar situation of EDA formats.
EDIF was introduced as a common denominator so that
all other formats would be (in theory) translated to/from.

Hardly nobody cares about EDIF and each EDA promotes their
own.. they don't like each other and never will.

But in hardware.. things may have a bottom line where having
90% of the work done (in sigrok) who cares which protocol is used?
The hardware owner may have a larger and more interested user base...

By having sigrok as the bottom line for their (open) protocols

Hopefully... but the picture is much more like EDA software.
Paul

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2019, 09:40:00 pm »
So finally a cheap PSU with a limit display and proper controls.

Wonder if the firmware is going to get reverse engineered, would be nice to add some linear post-regulator and a proper current limiting stage, maybe voltage sensing connections.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:43:54 pm by Marco »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2019, 11:33:42 pm »
Probably won't be too crazy to port OpenDPS to it. I don't have the time to do it currently though as I'm toying around with a uSupply style device

Also looks like it might have the same issue all the other DPS devices have where the voltage sags under high current draws. See here for more details

See my post above, no sag noted. Just tried again with a bench meter and got the same results on CV or CC (but at a slightly lower voltage out). CC does bounce around a bit, regulation of that isn't great.
Funny I'm also working on usupply device  8)

So finally a cheap PSU with a limit display and proper controls.

Wonder if the firmware is going to get reverse engineered, would be nice to add some linear post-regulator and a proper current limiting stage, maybe voltage sensing connections.

As SDG noted, external sensing is probably possible to add in.
Post linear reg.. hm maybe possible but you'd really be screwing with the feedback loop at that point.
Recreating the firmware would be a very large effort.

Offline TLA

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2019, 03:03:46 am »
In case people are interested I designed a case for this device.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3999614

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, electricMN, Xenoamor, Simon_RL

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2019, 03:46:35 am »
Post linear reg.. hm maybe possible but you'd really be screwing with the feedback loop at that point.

Voltage wise you just need to have it generate 1 or 2 volts extra for headroom and have access to the reference voltage. For a linear current regulation you could set the switching current limit a little higher and either burn up the difference or have a boost stage to put it back into the main power supply capacitors. Either way the feedback loop is none of your concern, just need enough headroom both for voltage and current.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:48:45 am by Marco »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline GuidoK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2019, 04:17:50 am »
Dave has put a video out!  :popcorn:

He likes it.
There is no overshoot when turning on and hardly undershoot.
The switch mode noise he displays is not correct, see his sticky in the comments. He didn't use a 10x probe  :palm:
Noise is about 60mVp-p no load and about 100mVp-p at 6A he says.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 04:23:03 am by GuidoK »

The following users thanked this post: Xenoamor

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2019, 12:57:54 am »
Some adjustments made to ripple probing..  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: GuidoK

Offline yesyes

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2019, 05:02:28 pm »
Hi,
this looks like a nice PSU. I especially like the fact that it is not very deep as I don't have the depth on my workbench that most other bench PSUs require.

Before I buy I have a few questions that hopefully people who already have it can answer.

- If I buy 2 of these and connect them to the same AC-DC PSU, can I connect their GNDs together so that I can, for example, have 5V and 12V supplies with common ground? Is the input GND the same as the output GND?

- Can the Windows desktop app for these PSUs connect via the WiFi module? O is WiFi only for the smartphone app and desktop needs to connect via USB?

- Can the Windows desktop app handle more than one PSU at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2019, 05:45:00 pm »
If you have the same ac/dc supply supplying both you already have a common ground, in fact, you have no choice.

Don't use the windows app, it's probably some heuristics from them developing with all chinese products but that doesn't mean they aren't real. Alternatively do it in a VM. Maybe someone who has it could do that. I'm going to guess one instance of the application is good for 1 supply but maybe they were optimistic and you can use multiple(all the wifi probably have the same setup though).

Offline ulwur

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2019, 09:17:55 pm »
Got the parts and assembled it tonight.
Got the recommended AC power supply from the Aliexpress posting. And despite having a sticker next to the fan saying the PSU have built-in fan on-off control the bloody fan runs all the time. With the case on, the noice was even worse.

Since I'm not ever going to be pushing 300 watts through this PSU in my litte lab, I just disconnected the fan, and now its nice and quiet. Taped the internal temperature probe to the case of the AC Power brick, so I can monitor it's temperature on the display. Also attached the sensor of the little board controlling the case fan to the PSU, so it'll turn on if the metal gets hot.
If it dies because if this it's just 30 bucks after all, and peace of mind / lack of fan noice is worth it.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2019, 03:55:26 am »
Just ordered mine at BG, hope it arrives before Chinese New Year shipping delays. IIRC that's soon on their calendar?  :-//

Offline hoys

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2019, 02:38:15 pm »
Just snagged one of these.

Thoughts on using this with an older PC power supply?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf