Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 375622 times)

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #400 on: November 11, 2020, 02:47:30 pm »
- SCPI support even only for on / off and reading of main parameters 8) .

It do have a remote interface that can be used from other program, but the interface is not isolated!

See TestController for an example https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline GeminiServer

« Reply #401 on: November 13, 2020, 03:11:42 pm »
@UniSoft
Thank you for adding those coole changes. Are you going to share the source code of your changes, like on GitHub or so? So we can help you, may be to just compile it our own. Also initial helping you out on the translations. 

Thanks,
GeminiServer

Offline hugburger

« Reply #402 on: November 13, 2020, 09:05:01 pm »
Geminiserver UniSoft said this previously in this thread 

I can't post sources... it contains private encryption keys to encrypt firmware,
I don't think that developers will be happy to see it in public...

Offline Tatanka1961

• Contributor
« Reply #403 on: November 19, 2020, 07:34:31 pm »
Hi all,

I installed the UniSoft FW today on my new RD6012.
The UI looks so much better than the original one. I particularly like the 7seg. display.
And all the added functionality...

What an amazing job!  :-+

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:06:45 pm by Tatanka1961 »

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #404 on: November 22, 2020, 06:59:07 pm »
Mount RED LED under ON/OFF Button... :)

https://youtu.be/RUwsZNVgzU0

First I drilled a hole.
I did not have a thin drill, I took a 0.8mm drill.

Cut the track.

I covered the contacts with stickers, just in case...

soldered the red LED.

inserted a wire (in Teflon insulation) soldered to the diode.

connect to the mcu over resistor... on photo resistor 2K, but latter I replaced resistor to 470ohm.

Here is result...

As an alternative solution...
Illuminate the button from the side by installing the LED (some side emission bright LED) in the case.
For example:

Next version will have an option "External LED", to control that LED
- "OxP" - Red in case of Protection...
- "CC" - Red in CC mode
- "CC + OxP" - combine first 2 options (Protection - Red; CC - Yellow; CV - Green)
- "CV-G/CC-R" - CV - Green; CC - Red
- "CV-R/CC-G" - CV - Red; CC - Green
If anyone has any idea what else to add here, let me know.

As an alternative for CC/CV modes will be possible to set font color and background color...

New Quick Menu (activated by pressing button "Up")
This is the options for current session only (no store).
"Timer OUT Off" - Turn OFF the output after specified time...
"Timer Recycle" - Prevents Reset Timer...
After switching off the output (upon reaching the time or manually), the timer will be reset (unless option "Timer Recycle" is enabled).
The timer can be activated both before and after the output is turned on. Timing starts from the moment the output is turned on.
Thus, if you enable the output, wait more than 10 seconds, then activate the timer for 10 seconds,
then upon exiting the menu the output will be immediately disabled (since the time has already expired).
If anyone has any idea what else to add here, let me know.

Here is the early alpha version of firmware RD6018... (do not try to flash it into another models!)
Not everything that was intended has been implemented yet.
This is for those who wish to test it now, and possibly offer new ideas.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:32:12 pm by UniSoft »

The following users thanked this post: diogoc, Cliff Matthews, alxtr1bal, serisman

Offline BlueTronic

• Contributor
« Reply #405 on: November 24, 2020, 10:20:23 pm »
Hello UniSoft

Is it possible to program a option to use the "Batt Temp" for switching off the output, when a defined temperature reaches.
As you know, this function works only with the battery charging output (green socket).

Many people doesn´t use the battery function, they only monitor with the battery-temp-sensor the power switching supply (heatsink).
The idea is, when the heatsink (Mosfet from PSU) reaches a defined temperature, the ouput will switch off to protect the psu from heating damage.

Maybe you can also put both temperature values (system temp and batt temp) side by side, when this function enabled (to read both values at a glance).

I don´t think that is a big deal for you to change it in the source code.  :D

PS: Thanks for sharing your work with us.  :-+

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #406 on: November 24, 2020, 10:38:42 pm »
Is it possible to program a option to use the "Batt Temp" for switching off the output, when a defined temperature reaches.
As you know, this function works only with the battery charging output (green socket).
I can add it...

The idea is, when the heatsink (Mosfet from PSU) reaches a defined temperature, the ouput will switch off to protect the psu from heating damage.
this function called OTP (Over Temperature Protection), now it is implemented only for internal sensor and have a fixed value 80°C

Maybe you can also put both temperature values (system temp and batt temp) side by side, when this function enabled (to read both values at a glance).
If you mean in header, then there is a space for maximum 7 characters.
Actually it is enough to display the highest temperature from both sensors...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:41:16 pm by UniSoft »

Offline BlueTronic

• Contributor
« Reply #407 on: November 25, 2020, 10:33:33 pm »
Hi UniSoft

Actually it is enough to display the highest temperature from both sensors...
Is this feature already programmed or will you implement it in the next FW? -> the highest temperature from both sensors will be displayed

It is also possible to put both values right at the bottom - but it´s only an idea, not necessary to put in a new FW.
T2" border="0

I will be happy, when you only implement a programable* OTP (with external temperature sensor), as I mentioned it the last post. 
*User can set a value between 40°C and 90C° or more  :-//

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #408 on: November 25, 2020, 10:49:38 pm »
Is this feature already programmed or will you implement it in the next FW? -> the highest temperature from both sensors will be displayed
Will implement in next version... actually already done...
Header will show only internal temperature, current temperature (from ext sensor) can see in Layout 2,
or select option to display temperature in status bar.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #409 on: November 25, 2020, 11:51:08 pm »
This is really impressive work on this power supply, has anyone done any noise measurements on this or can point me to the right place?

Thanks in advance for the help and Happy Thanksgiving.

Best,

Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #410 on: November 27, 2020, 04:58:44 pm »
Soon!
New model RD6006P on the way!
Contains external ADC IC.
And as I understand this is a Switch mode/linear hybrid power supply.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.3.2e685771ckFxSL&id=631683567423&ns=1&abbucket=20
Take a look on screenshots ;)

Offline diogoc

• Contributor
« Reply #411 on: November 27, 2020, 06:02:24 pm »
Good 0.001V and 0.0001A.
It is just me or they implemented some features of Unisoft?

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #412 on: November 27, 2020, 07:48:33 pm »
Yep... They copy some ideas from my firmware.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 07:53:54 pm by UniSoft »

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #413 on: November 27, 2020, 08:08:32 pm »
Soon!
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.3.2e685771ckFxSL&id=631683567423&ns=1&abbucket=20

This looks very interesting!! Although I can't read it, the extra precision readout and the possibility of a "hybrid" SM/Linear is quite intriguing indeed  ::)

Hope to see what you find out, again thanks for all the effort you've put into this :-+

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #414 on: November 29, 2020, 12:31:43 pm »
Yep... They copy some ideas from my firmware.

In my opinion, RD has adopted the same line of marketing as in software development, introducing little extras to always have an upgrade version to sell every year, instead of providing free upgrades. I still prefer to use the unisoft firmware, because it contains everything I need without having to buy a new unit that next year will be more expensive for us who live in the EU space.

I leave the information that residents in the EU starting next year will pay VAT + processing costs on all orders from China. The exemption from paying fees below € 22 ceases to exist.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #415 on: November 29, 2020, 12:52:35 pm »
Soon!

Interesting, what do you mean by "switch mode/linear hybrid" ? Is that a linear final pre-regulator ?

If that is the case, assuming the final linear stage's performance is decent, then this is a game changer for low cost bench PSU.

PS : Asking one of Chinese forum member here Blueskull to help in translation.  :P
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 01:08:28 pm by BravoV »

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #416 on: November 29, 2020, 01:45:30 pm »
Interesting, what do you mean by "switch mode/linear hybrid" ? Is that a linear final pre-regulator ?
The title on taobao states "switch + programmable linear power supply"
I don't know what it really means, but if you look at PCB, you will see additional heat sink...
so I hope that this is hybrid (linear final pre-regulator)...
But I can't be sure.
time will show.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 01:49:09 pm by UniSoft »

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #417 on: November 29, 2020, 01:47:40 pm »
The name on taobao states "switch + programmable linear power supply"
I don't know what it really means, but if you look at PCB, you will see additional heat sink...
But I can't be sure.
time will show.

I don't think this power supply is linear, as that text only appears in the title. In the photos there is no reference to that. 5-digit accuracy and some unisoft firmware style options are just that.
correction: "linear" word only on title.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 02:03:09 pm by ptluis »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #418 on: November 29, 2020, 01:51:55 pm »
The title on taobao states "switch + programmable linear power supply"
But I can't be sure.
time will show.

Just wait for Blueskull, hope he will chime in, as he is a native Chinese which got his Phd in Power Electronics in US, translating this "power supply brochure"  ::) should be a piece of cake.  :P

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #419 on: November 29, 2020, 03:46:31 pm »
The title says "adjustable DC switching mode + programmable linear". I would say it is more likely is has a post regulator than it doesn't. Look at the left side of the PCB shot, there are a few TO252 transistors with zero inductors, I wonder why.

Thanks Blueskull.

Duh, even a native Chinese with expertise of power electronics and fluent in English is not very sure, I guess we will have to wait until someone own it and take a close up photoshoot.  :-\

Also I guess that TO-252 is a LDO after the switcher, as it just need to maintain few (maybe one or two) volts drop out to reduce the noise, hence no need for beefy heatsink.

Time will tell, I will be lurking until someone bought and share it's details here.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #420 on: November 29, 2020, 04:04:54 pm »
Hoping this can be placed into a true linear mode (switcher is turned off) for lower power/current levels. Using the linear LDO as a post regulator to the switcher is good but raises the question of how much of the switching "noise" is allowed to feed through to the output. After looking at the PCB is seems the true linear mode isn't likely since this would require heatsinks for the LDO in this mode.

So back to wondering how much noise is on the output??

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #421 on: November 29, 2020, 04:46:48 pm »
Hoping this can be placed into a true linear mode (switcher is turned off) for lower power/current levels. Using the linear LDO as a post regulator to the switcher is good but raises the question of how much of the switching "noise" is allowed to feed through to the output. After looking at the PCB is seems the true linear mode isn't likely since this would require heatsinks for the LDO in this mode.

Best,

Noise is not the biggest problem. If you want clean power, you should put power regulators on your own board. The problem, however, is to get the SMPS to respond fast enough.

If the SMPS is slow, when the load suddenly needs more voltage (in CC mode), the LDO will be starved, and oppositely the LDO will see too much power (which may cause punch through breakdown in BJTs).

Even if you don't consider SOA breakdowns in BJTs, you still have the slow recovery issue, thus you need a larger margin so that by the time the margin voltage is all used up, the SMPS hopefully can respond.

Hence, you have an efficiency vs step response trade off, and that makes most commercial SMPS+LDO CC-CV supplies horribly bad in step response performance, and that's why you don't see big players like Keysight doing this.

I know ITech/B&K does this, and I have a few of their products. In short, they suck in dynamic CC mode, and the user should be aware of that in advance.

Yeah, it will not be perfect with SMPS+LDO combination as pure linear.

But, at least (I wish) it will have "decent" noise, ripple and transient response like these below Linear Technolgy/Analog SMPS+LDO DC2132A kit does, or at least close to it.  :P

One of the forum member did a brief performance check and review -> DC2132A Review , quite decent imo.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 04:50:01 pm by BravoV »

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #422 on: November 29, 2020, 05:02:46 pm »

Best,

Noise is not the biggest problem. If you want clean power, you should put power regulators on your own board. The problem, however, is to get the SMPS to respond fast enough.

If the SMPS is slow, when the load suddenly needs more voltage (in CC mode), the LDO will be starved, and oppositely the LDO will see too much power (which may cause punch through breakdown in BJTs).

Even if you don't consider SOA breakdowns in BJTs, you still have the slow recovery issue, thus you need a larger margin so that by the time the margin voltage is all used up, the SMPS hopefully can respond.

Hence, you have an efficiency vs step response trade off, and that makes most commercial SMPS+LDO CC-CV supplies horribly bad in step response performance, and that's why you don't see big players like Keysight doing this.

I know ITech/B&K does this, and I have a few of their products. In short, they suck in dynamic CC mode, and the user should be aware of that in advance.

With these devices in usual use you have the added complexity of a switching supply (fixed AC to DC converter) feeding another different variable output switching supply which seems like a very difficult situation for attempting to control the switching noise components, even with the added post LDO. Since an LDO has a limited bandwidth with input ripple rejection I suspect we'll see some of the HF components feeding thru to the output.

Agree using Point of Load regulators is good, we even did that on our chip designs with multiple LDO regulators scattered throughout the chip, but sometimes you just need a "clean" supply voltage. I know this is the area for the pure linear supplies with toroidal transformers, which may be the best choice in my case, but was hoping this might suffice and be just "good enough"  ::)

BTW I've done a little work with power supplies at the chip level, so appreciate what's involved (see patent 7728565 Non-Invasive Load Sensing...., and 8692529 Low Noise Low Dropout Regulator ).

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, Cliff Matthews, nikitasius

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #423 on: November 29, 2020, 05:17:11 pm »

Best,

Yeah, it will not be perfect with SMPS+LDO combination as pure linear.

But, at least (I wish) it will have "decent" noise, ripple and transient response like these below Linear Technolgy/Analog SMPS+LDO DC2132A kit does, or at least close to it.  :P

One of the forum member did a brief performance check and review -> DC2132A Review , quite decent imo.

Agree, hopefully this will be just "good enough", but well have to wait for some review. That LT supply is nice, but pretty expensive at ~$200 and you still need an input DC source!

BTW I think what UniSoft has done with these is great, so hat's off  :-+

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #424 on: November 30, 2020, 05:39:18 am »

Now test cc-cv mode switch over.

C'mon man, you knew the answer already.  ;)

With your PhD in power electronics, I believe it becomes 2nd to nature to you, that all you need is just briefly within seconds, CMIIW, to take a look at the switcher's freq, it's output cap and then another few seconds look at the LDO datasheet and it's AC performance, and finally the output cap to sort of estimate how this perform when switching over modes CC to CV or vice versa.  :P

Just curious, what if Ruideng approaches you, say for one off design contract with handsome money that is hard to reject, to improve the linear front end, as humane and "good enough" as possible ? Would you take that challenge ?  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf